Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ugraded FMIC on stock turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am one of the ETS FMIC owners that can confirm that it made my car less knock sensitive. It allowed me to raise the boost and make more SAFE power.

Prior to the FMIC i was knocking at 21psi. This FMIC made an instant improvment. I would not hesitate at all. It is one of those mods that you say to yourself "I should have done this sooner"
Old Mar 27, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgrade your LICP first...

Last edited by eVo_Boi; Mar 27, 2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eVo_Boi
Upgrade your LICP first...
done already, + a cutom one is soon to go on 2-1/2" all the way. no more j-pipe or outlet pipe.
Old May 20, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

anyone else has the etc IC on the stock turbo with good result?
Old May 20, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Right here... ETS 3" with FULL bolt-ons running 25psi on 91 octane... Absolutely no knock, 11.5 AFR straight through.

No way in hell I would attempt this on the stock FMIC...

-E
Old May 20, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
Right here... ETS 3" with FULL bolt-ons running 25psi on 91 octane... Absolutely no knock, 11.5 AFR straight through.

No way in hell I would attempt this on the stock FMIC...

-E
thanks for chiming in 25psi on 91 oct is really insane, I really think I should get it.
how much hp gained after retuned?
is it true that b/c of better flow, turbo doesn't have to work as hard to achieve the same psi?
Old May 20, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
thanks for chiming in 25psi on 91 oct is really insane, I really think I should get it.
how much hp gained after retuned?
is it true that b/c of better flow, turbo doesn't have to work as hard to achieve the same psi?
Keep in mind, I am at 6K feet elevation... 25psi verified with JDM MAP sensor... I do NOT recommend you run 25psi on 91 unless you have a VERY good tuner and have the parts to support it (ie. ported stuff for better efficiency etc.)

I got 354 on a Superflo dyno before I did the ported stuff...

-E

Edit: Forgot to answer your question... Any ways you can help your turbo breathe better, the less it has to work to maintain the same boost pressure.
Old May 21, 2008, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the answer wicked e. does 6k feet elevation allows you to run more boost? this is 25psi at 3rd gear we are talking about right?

for anyone with ETS 3" FMIC that felt difference b4 or after tune with hp gain please chime in.
Old May 21, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

well, i guess im soon to see how well the 3.5" ets FMIC works with the stocker. I went ahead and got one. going to install it next week with megan 02 and get some porting the turbo and mani done as well.
Old May 21, 2008, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbojunkie
Well, im trying to buget build my rs as best i can. So, the question is, is it worth upgrading from the stock fmic. I may try to do a back to back test on next dyno run ( if i can find someone to loan me one) but was hoping someone has already determined if the cost is or is not worth the upgrade. thanx B
Billy why are you on a budget??? Just man up and get a 5" on there. You temps are going to be higher pushing the stocker much harder. Cough up those savings of your hun

Give me a call so we can do lunch
Old May 21, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Wink

Originally Posted by Paul Nelson
Billy why are you on a budget??? Just man up and get a 5" on there. You temps are going to be higher pushing the stocker much harder. Cough up those savings of your hun

5" for stock turbo, I think that is not necessary.
Old May 21, 2008, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
The 5" is definitely not necessary for a stock turbo, but the current stock EVO IX power record of ~506whp was set by Lucas English of English Racing with our 5" intercooler and 3" IC piping He's pushing the turbo VERY hard, so the bigger turbo helps with the high turbo outlet temps. A bigger intercooler will flow better and have less restriction as airflow requirements climb, and with pressure drop due to flow limitations across the core being the biggest concern where spool and response are concerned, big definitely isn't a bad thing!

Tom
Old May 21, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fugiwara
5" for stock turbo, I think that is not necessary.
When Lucas was on the dyno with his stock turbo pushing 500plus whp i was spraying the 5" intercooler down with water watching her steam away. When pushing the stocker that hard the temps rise really afst
Old May 21, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Paul Nelson

lol, ill save the 5" upgrade for the big turbo build next year . Me likey having a fatty saving account. Im trying to see how far i can go with the least amount money spent. Im loving this car with stocker. Yes, its been a while, i can meet ya 4 lunch anytime. Im hitting PIR on friday and then woodburn for vp fuels day on sunday. You going ?
Old May 21, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ETS Tom
The 5" is definitely not necessary for a stock turbo, but the current stock EVO IX power record of ~506whp was set by Lucas English of English Racing with our 5" intercooler and 3" IC piping He's pushing the turbo VERY hard, so the bigger turbo helps with the high turbo outlet temps. A bigger intercooler will flow better and have less restriction as airflow requirements climb, and with pressure drop due to flow limitations across the core being the biggest concern where spool and response are concerned, big definitely isn't a bad thing!

Tom
i believe lucas got my IC from ya last week Hoping for 400+ whp with that and mods im doing.

Quick Reply: Ugraded FMIC on stock turbo ?