Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kiggly Beehive Valve Springs Vs. The rest

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive been revving my stock valvetrain to 8500rpm now after I got tuned. Im going to change springs/retainers soon.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

i might too late..

i have M3 too.. but i run Supertech Dual spring n retainer and value seal.. i love it.. 5 months and no problems and HIGH BOOST and HIGH REV too..
Old Aug 23, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Inprogress
Are these aftermarket beehive springs everyone is talking about being ran with aftermarket retainers? Is it necessary?
according to http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...=Lancer-Engine

They say that their beehive can be run using the stock retainers
Old Aug 23, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evovin
Ive been revving my stock valvetrain to 8500rpm now after I got tuned. Im going to change springs/retainers soon.
do you have the cosworth m2s?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Can you run stock springs and retainers to 8000 rpms with kelford 272 cams? I have an evo ix.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatguysmells
Can you run stock springs and retainers to 8000 rpms with kelford 272 cams? I have an evo ix.
Sure man you can..Will you float a valve, why risk it..If your going to be revving past 7k valve springs are recommended especially for an aggressive cam.

The Kelford is a pretty aggressive cam..if you ran an smaller HKS cam and weren't planning on revving past 7k I would say you might be fine. Why risk it though..I believe I sent you a PM on SCE

-Mike
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OneCrzyEvo21
Sure man you can..Will you float a valve, why risk it..If your going to be revving past 7k valve springs are recommended especially for an aggressive cam.

The Kelford is a pretty aggressive cam..if you ran an smaller HKS cam and weren't planning on revving past 7k I would say you might be fine. Why risk it though..I believe I sent you a PM on SCE

-Mike
Risk is involved when there is something unknown and unknowable. We are dealing with numbers and facts here. You either CAN or you CAN'T. It's not a question of risk.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Risk is involved when there is something unknown and unknowable. We are dealing with numbers and facts here. You either CAN or you CAN'T. It's not a question of risk.
Anything can be done..If 10 People did it and 7 floated a valve and the others didn't..what does that tell you..Just like people who run a 35r @30+psi on a stock block..if 4 vented their block and one didn't..get what im saying..

If you are trying to budget which it seems like, i wouldn't try it on something like this, not worth the chance..they said change STOCK VALVE TRAIN if you plan to rev over 7k period. So with an aggressive cam, and you want to rev to 8k, yes i would get springs and retainers..

Go on every website that sells Kelfords..go on Kelfords website..they said recommend to change springs and retainers..I don't know what numbers you want. hope it helps..

-Mike
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:55 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't do that, get some beehive springs
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:29 AM

How about Stock springs/retainers gsc s1 8000rpm?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Boxrocket2.3
How about Stock springs/retainers gsc s1 8000rpm?
Why rev that high? The stock turbo runs out of steam waaaay before then
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by evo8426
Why rev that high? The stock turbo runs out of steam waaaay before then
Of course, I forgot to add FP Red in that mix, I was jus curious wheather the stock springs be ok with s1's around 8k
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

No. They won't. You are going way past the intended limits of the stock springs. Just get everything done at once. Will save you money in the long run.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kiggly
I set up the spring pressure and installed height to be at the high side of a happy medium and also allow for 0.500" lift. There are plenty of people running around with springs at ~100lbs on the seat and no wear problems from other manufacturers, so there is no reason my springs would have any more problems than somebody else's for wear. DSM supertech stuff is in this same installed pressure range and they are a very common spring.

The trick thing with the beehive setup is it allows a lot lighter retainer and the spring itself has a lower effective mass. This translates to about 500-700rpm higher potential before valve float for the same installed pressure and spring rate as an average dual spring.

The springs I sell were tested against several other springs on a cylinder head only test stand with high speed video, looking for which springs had the best behavior during surge. I picked what I found to work best. I found some that did some really ugly things that I didn't expect before testing them.

Durability-wise, I also ran them on the test stand sweeping between surge and float rpm's on a very aggressive dsm cam grind (all 8k+ stuff) for 30mins straight and saw no loss in seat pressure or rate afterward. One customer ran my springs for an entire season going to 10,500rpm and with his 2-step set in the 8k range on some relatively large cams and saw no change in any pressures after the break-in period was over (they will change maybe 5lb on the seat during break-in, all springs do). This car in particular was running dual springs and tossing rockers while on the 2-step and beating up the other springs regularly.

Shoot out any specific questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them.

Kevin
does this apply to the steel street version pac springs & steel retainers? I’m looking for springs for my s2’s and weight is a factor considering these are steel. Any thoughts?