Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just how bad are the MR 6-Speed Transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i love my 6 speed 20 k miles and it shifts better than the day i got it (ok maybe im a better shifter than the day i got my car too lol)
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JamassiMR
you should be fine with 420-500whp. i say 500 would be max and pushing it a bit if your not planning on building the transmission. It also depends on how often your are going to track it. Overall, I i think the tranny is fine as long as you dont abuse like crazy. May I ask what are some of the insane good deals you have found?
^

This....close thread
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Just to clarify, gears 1-3 are wider on the 6 speed compared to the 5 speed...which should mean they're stronger. Gears 4 and 5 are thinner on the 6 speed compared to the 5. 6th (obviously) doesn't exist on the 5.

People have had heat related issues with 4th gear, especially on the track. I have also seen some posts/thread with 5th gear syncho issues.

TRE has now started shotpeening the gears on the 6 speed, which should help...plus that service is reasonable (6 speed rebuild, last time I checked, was like $800).

With regards to the heat problem, I think a tranny fluid like the one I sell in my sig can help...it's a low temperature formula that was specifically designed to combat overheating issues in the NOVI 4500 transmissions. It is also the factory fill of the Dodge Viper. Plus, it had the added benefit of solving my 2nd gear notchiness issues. I won't put anything except the Castrol SynTorq LT in my vehicle...and my 6 speed has 86,000 miles on it
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

hey quick question, i didnt know what to search cus i dont know what its called but when im around 3800-4200 rpm the shifter can come out of the gear w/o pressing the clutch, i kinda like doing this when coming to a stop. it doesnt feel damaging from the feel of it either, i heard somewhere, and it makes sense, that if it doesnt feel like its hurting the car then it probably isnt... but anyways, can anyone explain what im doing when the gear just slides out of the gear and into neutral?

thanks fellow evo brothers
Old Jun 28, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the 6 speed is ok not unless you are going to do serious road racing. if you want to do serious road racing then you should get an oil cooler. check this see post # 516 & # 666.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
TRE has now started shotpeening the gears on the 6 speed, which should help...plus that service is reasonable (6 speed rebuild, last time I checked, was like $800).
More info on this?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blitz
More info on this?
http://www.teamrip.com/TRE_6SPEED_EV...20SERVICE.html

I am sure Jon can add other things too like electro-polishing if you ask real nice like

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Jun 28, 2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
http://www.teamrip.com/TRE_6SPEED_EV...20SERVICE.html

I am sure Jon can add other things too like electro-polishing if you ask real nice like
N/M...Just read the link...Anyone have this done yet?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

An aftermarket oil cooler is not the solution for the 6spd. The solution is a 5spd.

Anyway, for the OP, the 6spd is a great transmission for the Evo unless you plan to road race it. However, it's not good for big WHP/WTQ like that. 4th gear is only rated to about 300 FLYWHEEL torque. You will like blow out 4th with that much power if you're dragging it. Yes, you will have to shift to 5th on the stock gear ratios before you even reach 120mph traps.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Faust
I'm planning on having it done in the next 6-12 months. I want to see if the SynTorq + shotpeening is enough to hold things together on a DD with a bigger turbo (35Rish)
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

God I love my 6-speed.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
An aftermarket oil cooler is not the solution for the 6spd. The solution is a 5spd.

Anyway, for the OP, the 6spd is a great transmission for the Evo unless you plan to road race it. However, it's not good for big WHP/WTQ like that. 4th gear is only rated to about 300 FLYWHEEL torque. You will like blow out 4th with that much power if you're dragging it. Yes, you will have to shift to 5th on the stock gear ratios before you even reach 120mph traps.
Thanks for 'to the point' answer. Appreciate it.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Faust
We had one done last winter. 'ottomatic' Evo IX MR, Stg 2 TRE 6 speed w/shot peen. The shot peen makes the gearbox very noisy for the first couple thousand miles - unfortunatly I think they shot peened reverse . The car shifts excellent and it has not been broken since. It's been to several autocross events and the dragstrip since it was rebuilt.

I was looking at some 6speed tranny rebuild stuff yesterday and came accross jack's transmissions. There is some detailed info on his website about replacment of some ball bearings with roller bearings. I would love to hear some discussion about this and is this something that all of the guys do or just jacks transmission?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

JAck is local to me and is someone I go to for work like this, although Shep still builds my drivetrain parts. Jack is awesome, but even he recommends trashing the 6spd in most cases whenever a broken one comes in...
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Doing fine here

Owned a 03 EVO, 05 MR, and 06 IX MR.

Like the 6 speed better. Better on road, and shifting is cleaner.

No problems with track use so far, several events on both six speeds, but VIR might be a little gentler than the five speed.

Considering the six speed was standard for most of the rest of the world, did they have many reliablilty problems?

Shawn

Quick Reply: Just how bad are the MR 6-Speed Transmissions?