Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BR Racing, parts testing, new best MPH and some thanks.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
BR Racing, parts testing, new best MPH and some thanks.

Just got back from the Import Showoff event they held at D42 today.

The event was good, the weather wasn't so good, good time though. It rained on and off all day, the track prep at this track is marginal to begin with most of the time and running my RS there is scarey as the track is very bumpy, not that I'd personally know as Trent drive it

First I want to get some thanks out there.

Thanks to Trent Stanley for driving my car again, winning the event and setting a new best MPH with it. Trent ran the car in the Street class and won it, congrats and thanks for driving.

Thanks to Indy EVO (Jim K) for bringing a kick *** intake manifold to the market and working with me on it. The car ran the best MPH ever today, much thanks to you.

Thanks to DEVO Tuning for getting me the new 2 piece driveshaft for the car, worked perfectly.

Also want to thank Daniel and Steve at the shop for working on my RS after the BR Import Shootout.

Now that I have that done, here are some details.

At the BR Shootout my RS ran a best of 9.42 at 155.4 mph, this was at NRP with the track being prepped constantly to keep it in excellent condition. I was running 38-39 psi of boost, I don't believe it hit 40 all day on any pass. At the time I had DI's intake on the car, stock driveshaft, 3" throttle body too. We blew the head gasket and torched the cylinder head. I built a new long block for it as I was actually expecting to find a cracked block when we took it apart. It was a welcome find to see that all was damaged was the head and gasket.

Dropped in the new engine/head and started tuning again. I was able to get the power back almost to the best ever which was in extremely good weather conditions in February.

I then swapped over to the Indy V2 intake manifold and our 65 mm throttle body and found the power curve to be the best overall and stuck with it.

I was tuning on the dyno at 33-34 psi of boost in 3rd gear only.

I then built a new catch can for the car that seperates the vapors/oil and sends the oil back to the oil pan where it belongs. I found a few HP in this too.

Wednesday I installed the new DEVO Tuning two piece driveshaft knocking 11 pounds off with it and while I was under the car I put our mustache bar on the car finally and saved another 13 pounds.

Today we took the car out for the first time since the BR Import Shootout and things went really well.

As I said, at the Shootout I had the car running 38-39 psi of boost. The car is now making the same power at only 33-34 psi of boost. I decided that for today, because the track conditions were not going to be ideal we would just run the car at this lower boost level and save it for a better day with better track conditions.

Well to my surprise and Trent's the car ran a new personal best MPH of 155.78 and every pass was 154+ mph. The best ET was a 9.54.

I showed the logs to a few guys as I was being doubted. AFR's were 11.7:1 through 4th gear, the highest boost of the entire day was 35.83 psi and that was on the 4th gear shift. By redline the boost was down to 32-33 psi.

Very happy with the car. I was running Q16 fuel, no alky or anything else. I don't know where else to go with the car at this point. Everything is working perfectly and the car runs so freaking good.

The new catch can I built I was checking after each run. There was absolutely NO oil or anything else coming out of the hose that runs back to the turbo, it was BONE dry. The set up is working perfectly.

I now have some new ideas I want to try on the car but I just have to put it on the back burner. Getting back on our EVOX is priority.

The catch can will go into production this week and there will be more things to come in the development of my car.

I want to get it out to Norwalk on a decent night with some good track prep and then turn the boost back up to the 40 psi range and see what it will run. I feel the MPH should be pretty close to 158 and hoping the ET drops down into the 9.2-9.3 range.

Remember, this car is 100% a street car. Full factory interior, carpet, door panels, double DIN DVD player/tv, door beams, air bags, factory steering wheel/dash etc.

Times were run with our Race FMIC, BF272 cams, double pumper with stock feed and return lines, BR COP, BR 2 liter, BR 3" turbo back with our bullet muffler and an HTA35r with a T3 .82 turbine housing.

I'm very happy with the car and the performance, it's amazing to me. I feel working the hell out of this combination and refusing to ruin the low/mid range just to make a huge peak number has paid off.

We'll get it back out to the track. I want to work on the suspension next and try the Swift springs on the N1's. Running on a DOT tire is making it tough to go a lot quicker. Some suspension fine tuning is going to help. If we could get the car into the 1.4 sixty foot times the ET's are going to improve dramatically. Trent had to pedal the car in 1st gear almost every run today from the excessive wheel spin. Many times the car was on the revlimiter at 10,300 rpm. With the taller tire we can cross the finish line in 4th at only 9,000 rpm, so I eventually dropped the revlimiter down to 9400 rpm not needing it to go any higher.

So thanks to those who made this a great day, Tom, Eric, Jeff, Trent, Chris, my wife Renee and anyone else who hung out at the trailer and made it fun.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the stock fuel lines bit The fact you pushed them so far means so many people can save on running all new lines. Little things like that you've done save people so much money. Thanks Dave for setting a great example of how you can setup a fast street evo.

If you have the time I'd love to see a couple 60ft, 1/8 and 1/4 times on a pass or two.

Dave are you saying going from VTA crankcase breathing to vacuum assisted via intake made hp?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

I will get the time slips gathered up tomorrow and post up some better results, it was a long day.

Yes, it appears as though going to a vacuum assisted catch can helped make a couple of hp.

I changed a few things since last time I ran. Typically this track is slower than NRP so I am happy as hell it ran the best MPH there and an ET right there with the best ones it has run. There is more in it for sure, hell the boost is down 4 psi from where it was last time it ran 155.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Great job today Dave and Trent! I HATE the RS, it makes me sad

The trailer during the rain was the best part... I have a pass or 2 of the RS on vid
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long story short, car is sick, haha. Congrats.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Let me know when you get your videos put together, I am sure you have some of your car too, if you don't mind post them up.

Nice runs from your car too, I know you are still disapointed and that's why I didn't mention it. I understand your goals and we'll get you there. I know running 10.0's at 146 mph and driving to and from the track 5 hours total getting 30 mpg must suck for you..................
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I know running 10.0's at 146 mph and driving to and from the track 5 hours total getting 30 mpg must suck for you..................
I wish i had that problem
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

nice information
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
Love the stock fuel lines bit The fact you pushed them so far means so many people can save on running all new lines. Little things like that you've done save people so much money. Thanks Dave for setting a great example of how you can setup a fast street evo.
I want to give a big thanks to Mr. Buschur and the rest of their camp as well for this exact reason. R & D'ng the exact parts you need to make your daily driven Evo a street nightmare to the rest. I take all the information you provide and apply it to my Evo and pass it on to the rest of the Evo's I meet. You guys ARE the standard when it comes to modifying 4G63's
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
David,
Your car is a nasty combination no doubt.

Maybe try out some progressive boost control and gear based tuning to help with the traction. The AEM pulls it off fairly well just using the AEM boost solenoid.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Great work man....The information I get out of your threads is normally enough to convince me 110%. We should sticky some of your findings though

for example something like this..

- You dont need modified fuel lines to support 700whp and 150mph passes.
- A true 3" exhaust will support 700whp and 150mph passes.
- A good catch can can also give you a few extra hp.
- A DOT tire can net you low 9 second passes.

stuff like this...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Dave did you take the A/C out or did the RS not come with it?

And were you using the launch aide on those runs?

Last edited by wspy; Jun 30, 2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 11secEVO7
Great work man....The information I get out of your threads is normally enough to convince me 110%. We should sticky some of your findings though

for example something like this..

- You dont need modified fuel lines to support 700whp and 150mph passes.
- A true 3" exhaust will support 700whp and 150mph passes.
- A good catch can can also give you a few extra hp.
- A DOT tire can net you low 9 second passes.

stuff like this...

+1
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Insane mph dave....always impressed.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:57 AM
Account Disabled

Great spending time with you guys at the track yesterday. The cars are running amazing as always.

Dave, let me know when you will be taking the RS to Summit with the boost up a bit. I would love to see the car run some very low 9 second passes.

Quick Reply: BR Racing, parts testing, new best MPH and some thanks.