Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GT35R to 30R

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Esam
i have a 35r turbo kit but i was told that it is maxing out my stock maf[/email]
I should have said this first, but it goes without saying. Do you have a REALLY good tune on the car now? Does it drive very smooth in transitions from off-boost to boost, and from boost to off-boost? Do you have the right cams to match the turbo? Do you have all the right bolt-ons to support the 35R kit?

You cannot really evaluate whether or not you like your current set-up until the current set-up is running at peak efficiency and performance.

Negative issues related to the factory ECU and MAF are highly overrated, IMO.

How much HP before MAF is maxed out

Lots of other threads of high HP cars on stock ECU and MAF.

I suggest a good tune by Mellon and then reevaluate the situation.

Old Jul 4, 2008, 07:35 AM
Account Disabled

Esam, I've not yet found the limits of the stock mas/ecu yet. Currently I'm seeing ~ 500awhp on pump gas @ 30psi with the 35R. I did add c16 recently and at the same AFR and boost but with just 4* more timing the power shot up to ~565awhp before I saw any knock. I never did try raising the boost and lowering timing but I suspect I could pick up more power that way.

I have a buschur stage 3 head on the way to replace the stock head and I have buschur bf272 cams to go in to replace the hks 280's I'm using now. I suspect that I'll be able to make considerably more power at the same boost levels going forward.

there's absolutely no reason to downgrade to a 30R and you shouldn't be getting a CEL regarding the car being too rich or too lean. I'm biased obviously but it sounds like you need a new tuner, someone that's experienced with high hp cars on the stock ecu/mas.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^^^^^^^^
What Mellon said.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't have a dog in this hunt as I'm still with the stock VIII turbo but in my reading, I've never heard of this before. I know this thread is about the MAS but reading through things has caused a few concerns.

Originally Posted by Celica2EVO
No way are you maxing out the stock ecu! Unless you are running huge injectors or a huge cam! PM Mellon and have him tune your car via Email Flash! He is running a 35R with Stock ECU and MAFS!
Originally Posted by supersal
With everyone punting the GT35R / HTA35R... I decided to go bigger and opted for the GT3076R over the GT3071R, and boy was I dissapointed with the spoolup. Off and on Boost this Turbo is very soft compared to the Stock IX Turbo. Only reason I went for the GT3076R is because I am in the process of putting in a 2.3L stroker and my goal is 500HP. It's all about spoolup and power under the curve. Doesn't matter if you have to sacrifice 50HP to get this and you won't be sorry. That's what I recomend to my friends that don't want a ringer which is completely maxed out but rather a sleeper with safe mods. After experiancing the GT3076R on the Stock Block 2L with std rev limiter and now that I've thought about it the GT3071R or BB 50Trim is more and more looking like the most appropriate Turbo for the boost levels I want to run 22-25psi and the maximum acceptable lag I would consider 3500-3750rpm.
It's really a matter of what you're desired needs and ultimate purposes of your car is when choosing the right combination. The stock IX turbo is no joke and it's been proven to be very nice on the road and/or track. I, for one, enjoy autocrossing when events come to town but I spend the majority of my time on the highway. I've looked at the Green and the GT3076R of which both will be ran on meth. But the more and more I look at the HTA35R, the more I think that it's what I'd eventually go with. It won't be as exciting on the autocrossing though.

Originally Posted by Mellon
Esam, I've not yet found the limits of the stock MAS/ECU yet. Currently I'm seeing ~ 500awhp on pump gas @ 30psi with the 35R. I did add C16 recently and at the same AFR and boost but with just 4* more timing the power shot up to ~565awhp before I saw any knock. I have a buschur stage 3 head on the way to replace the stock head and I have buschur bf272 cams to go in to replace the hks 280's I'm using now.
Chris, I'm the one who converted my son after seeing the EVO/Viper video. Is the Stage 3 head necessary if I wanted to go the HTA35R route? I see that you got rid of the 280's but I don't want to upgrade my springs and retainers. I'd have to do this with the BF 272's, right? Also, what do you think about the HTA35R/meth combination?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:48 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by pure_evo

Chris, I'm the one who converted my son after seeing the EVO/Viper video. Is the Stage 3 head necessary if I wanted to go the HTA35R route? I see that you got rid of the 280's but I don't want to upgrade my springs and retainers. I'd have to do this with the BF 272's, right? Also, what do you think about the HTA35R/meth combination?

I don't have the stage 3 head or BF 272 cams and springs(required) on yet...it's ~ 500awhp all day long on 93 octane even in this nasty summer heat.

still rocking the stock springs, hks 280 and hta 35R kit

I had an aquamist HSF-5 kit for my HTA 35R kit because I wanted 500awhp and thought I'd need meth to get there...I set the boost to 20psi and it made 400awhp, 26psi and it made 460awhp, 30psi and it made 500awhp.

I promptly sold the meth kit, never installed it haha, why complicate the setup? I put c16 in it once and without raising the boost and using the same AFR it shot up to 565awhp with just 4* of timing.

I'm hoping with the BF 272 cams + Stage 3 head I'll pick up a considerable amount more on pump gas.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mellon
I don't have the stage 3 head or BF 272 cams and springs(required) on yet...it's ~ 500awhp all day long on 93 octane even in this nasty summer heat. still rocking the stock springs, hks 280 and hta 35R kit I had an aquamist HSF-5 kit for my HTA 35R kit because I wanted 500awhp and thought I'd need meth to get there...I set the boost to 20psi and it made 400awhp, 26psi and it made 460awhp, 30psi and it made 500awhp. I promptly sold the meth kit, never installed it haha, why complicate the setup? I put c16 in it once and without raising the boost and using the same AFR it shot up to 565awhp with just 4* of timing. I'm hoping with the BF 272 cams + Stage 3 head I'll pick up a considerable amount more on pump gas.
Thanks Chris. I really appreciate it. I talked with my Comptroller (wife) yesterday about going with the HTA35R and she seems to be all for it once I get back from Iraq for the third time. Not to hijack the thread in any way whatsoever, but I can basically do the mail-in flashes through you if need be, right?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 09:22 AM
Account Disabled

that's great news and absolutely...let me know when you're ready.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Esam
i have a 35r turbo kit but i was told that it is maxing out my stock maf, my motor is stock and now i must downgrade to a 30R. what turbo will bolt up to the manifold that has the fastest spoolup. for ex. is there a 30r turbo that spools faster than a 3071? ps does anybody have a turbo or turbo kit in arizona they would like to trade for mine? it is almost brand new, 4 mos. pm or email me at esammmorsy@yahoo.com
About a year and a half ago I tuned 03 evo with built motor, dual pumps and 35r kit to 593whp and this was on a stock ecu, but the only thing we changed was to a maf translator and a 3.5 gm maf. You are not going to suck the maf through unless your are exceeding 35 psi with a 35r. Its sounds like to me your tuner is un-experienced with big turbos. I also have tuned a stock cam car with a 35r kit with e85 and 28psi to 508whp on stock maf and stock ecu. You do not need to down grade!!
Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting ##"s mellon. I take it that is running slightly on the dangerous side as in not being as conservitive on the tune to achive the 30psi on pump 93?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 04:27 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sabastian458
Interesting ##"s mellon. I take it that is running slightly on the dangerous side as in not being as conservitive on the tune to achive the 30psi on pump 93?
I daily drive it and have made several hundred drag passes and several trips to 165mph + and touched 8500rpm countless times. I would think if it were dangerous I'd know about it by now.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Chris,
what size injectors do you recommend for the HTA35R?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

hta 35r ftw
Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
Chris,
what size injectors do you recommend for the HTA35R?
I'm at 85-90% with twin walbro pumps and 1000cc PTE injectors from Buschur Racing at 500+awhp on 93 octane. When I do the head/cam upgrades it's going to jump up a little more. I see 1200's in my future if I ring it out on race gas when I get the built 2.0 in.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

what i ment was that it wouldnt be something that would be done on say an Email flash. I remember in a prior thread a week or so ago that you has said you had taken your personal tune a lil farther than you would normally do a customers.

I like your numbers. I think I may reconsider my current setup possibly.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by sabastian458
what i ment was that it wouldnt be something that would be done on say an Email flash. I remember in a prior thread a week or so ago that you has said you had taken your personal tune a lil farther than you would normally do a customers.

I like your numbers. I think I may reconsider my current setup possibly.
There's nothing dangerous about my tune, what I was referring to was the fact that I'm on the stock shorty and spinning it to 8500...that I don't recommend.

If a customer of mine had the same setup and wanted to push it to 500 I'd be game.

Quick Reply: GT35R to 30R