Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

High load issue with normal boost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High load issue with normal boost

Im sorry if the title of this thread doest really make sense but let me explain as detailed and quickly as possible

Ive been working with Chris from mellon tuning for a while now to finish this tuning process. (wich by the way he has been very patient with me and very understanding through out this process)

the tuning started out fine but after a couple of months and a few flashes (ive been in school so its been a slow process because of my lack of time) I start to have some issues.

Basically the load from mitsulogger is raeding around the 300 area and the boost is around the 21psi area. I have installed the jdm map sensor to log boost. what chris is telling me is that it may be a boost leak or something along those lines.

heres the problem i have done multiple boost leak tests and i have found several and corrected them. TB shaft seals was one huge leak. fixed those no more leaky from there.... also i had some loose hose clamps all tight now.

When i do the test i have a compressor hooked basically directly into the compressor housing via a coupling and im controlling pressure via the regulator on the compressor. wich seems to be working ok. i can pressurize and turn it down where it isnt releasing pressure nor adding.

so with that said the only place that is leaking is from the MBC. I have a perrin inline type and there is a little hole in the middle of it where it is leaking from. I have read that they are supposed to leak. so my question should i just plug it off and then test? or what?

I have been battling this problem for a while now and have read many posts mostly which were resolved with wartallons advice. so if he could chime in with his .02 that would be appreciated.

I have posted the latest three back to back logs that i took last night. the boost might read very very slightly low because i havent adjusted for the change of atmospheric pressure where i am now. but i have just made that change in the xml file and will log again tonight and see as well as performing another boost leak test .

so anyideas or suggestions of things to take a look at?
I really appreciate any help!

Thanks Ethan

p.s. if you live anywhere around me and u help me fix this problem i buy you a couple beers

ok so i am how do you say "uneducated" on how to upload logs. I have them as spread sheets from excel. they are .csv files. evom doest let you upload them.. anybody have ansuggestions?

Logs are now posted! There are three seperate excel (CSV) files within one compressed ZIP file.

Mods to the car are as follows:
TBE with HFC
K&N intake
Perrin MBC set at 21.5 or 22 psi
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
New TB shaft seals
and i think that is it

Also i have not done the 2 byte load mod in mitsulogger
Attached Files
File Type: zip
logs 1-3.zip (11.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by ethan169; Jul 15, 2008 at 06:41 PM. Reason: logs
Old Jul 15, 2008, 04:35 PM
Account Disabled

I live in CT and could help you out. I have access to a dyno if needed as well.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 06:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Is this 2byte load you are talking about? Have you tried using EvoScan?

Before 2byte, tuners used the actual timing the car ran (without knock) at a certain RPM to see what actual load column they where in. Do not always depend on 2byte load, espically if it seems odd. There could be a formula issue, or the 2byte mod was done incorrectly, etc.

If you run 3* at 4000 rpm and there is a 3 in your ign table at 4000 rpm and say 260 load, then you are hitting 260 load.

What are the mods on the car.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Matt im not really in CT anymore i just graduated from University of Hartford this may so i am currently in VT. but in a week or so i am headed down to ellington CT then Branford CT so possibly we could meet up but id like to resolve as soon as possible..

Razor lab Ive updated the original post with the mods i will post them again here just in case

I also have not done the 2bytle load mod in mitsulooger. I never really understood the differance so i just let it be and Chris didnt mention anything about it.

I also posted the logs that you can see now.

Mods to the car are as follows:
TBE with HFC
K&N intake
Perrin MBC set at 21.5 or 22 psi
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
New TB shaft seals
and i think that is it

Also i have not done the 2 byte load mod in mitsulogger

also i have not tried using Evoscan i never bought it. i was under the impression that it was basically the same as mitsulogger except that you were able to play with some fancy GUI features like dashboards and gauges?

Thanks for any help guys!

Last edited by ethan169; Jul 15, 2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: im slow
Old Jul 15, 2008, 06:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is the real deal guys:

from the logs:
rpm 3781
afr 9.8
load 293
timing 3

everything signals to me that it's overboosting to compensate for a leak... his car with virtually no mods @ 21psi shouldn't be anywhere near the last load column but it is, you can tell by the dismal timing numbers and ludicrous rich AFR. I purposely have that last column rich/retarded for people who don't take my advice and crank the boost to the moon after I've finished tuning them.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Also could be a weird intake screwing with the MAS..Did you peep the airflow too??Does seem like it would be a leak though.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

what do you mean by peep the airflow? like log it and take a peek? if so i haven't mostly because i don't know what to referance it to. but i can if you think it might help

-Ethan
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Boost leak. I have seen 340s at 21-22psi and 10 counts of knock even when the timing drops to -10*. I will bet lunch and 2 beers on it.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:20 PM
EvoM Guru

K&N open filter intake with metal pipe? As in the typhoon? Those mess with the MAF signal something fierce. That can output a different load.

It would be interesting to see what your 2byte airflow is.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Just took a look at the logs. The boost plot with the jumpy 1psi of boost variance right after peak boost can be an indication of a boost leak.

What psi are you going up to when doing your boost leak test?

Also looking at the load curve that big spike in load then dropping 30 load or so and stabilizing is often what I see from a boost leak as well.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

so about it being a boost leak. when i perform the test what should i do with the MBC just plug off both lines going to it. one coming from the compressor housing and the other going to the WGA i believe. Im sure its written somwhere and i have been researching this issue for a while now and haven't really found a straight answer.

it is the K&N typhoon intake. i do still have the stock intake setup although i remember breaking one of the plastic pieces where the MAF bolts to it. either way id like to not change anything because i am still in the tuning process with chris and i heard from several other people that its tunable etc etc. ??

Thanks again guys!
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:27 PM
Account Disabled

Injector pulse width is 21 during that spot but I'm certain the ludicrous rich AFR's aren't helping matter

The JDM map sensor says 20psi though...if that's correct it could be a MAS signal problem I suppose.

Ethan it might be high time to grab the Tephra v5 for your ECU and start logging 2byteload and 2byteairflow just to see what's going on at the MAS. Loadcalc can be as much as 20 too high so that 293 might be more like 273 but that's still too high for a lightly modded evo8 at "20psi".

I still think something is up.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ethan169
so about it being a boost leak. when i perform the test what should i do with the MBC just plug off both lines going to it. one coming from the compressor housing and the other going to the WGA i believe. Im sure its written somwhere and i have been researching this issue for a while now and haven't really found a straight answer.

it is the K&N typhoon intake. i do still have the stock intake setup although i remember breaking one of the plastic pieces where the MAF bolts to it. either way id like to not change anything because i am still in the tuning process with chris and i heard from several other people that its tunable etc etc. ??

Thanks again guys!
I though I heard something about the BOV returnline going too far into the intake pipe with that specifit intake causing weird MAS readings..Isn't this why everyone stays away from the K&N typhoon??
I know it is behind the MAS but still
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

As far as the boost leak test i remember going up to around 25psi or so. definatly more then 23psi. i can go higher without a problem though if need be. I just wasnt sure what was safe and figured it i wasnt coming close to 25psi then that would be fine.

Chris, first thing i assume the load numbers you referenced are 293 and 273. not 3xx. and about the 2byte load and airflow what exactly is the difference. i mean im sure i can make the necessary changes to the software i just don't understand what 2bytle load is.

But if you adivse to do that i dont mind giving it a shot.

I also plan on doing another boost leak test tomorrow just to make sure.
again anyone have some input on my leaking MBC during leak test?

Thanks guys
-Ethan
Old Jul 15, 2008, 07:45 PM
Account Disabled

yes I corrected the typo...sorry I'm living in th 380kpa world with my own car and got confused doh.

the 2byte version of load and airflow are simply put more accurate...still not perfect, just better.

some MBC's have a weep hole, it's normal and meant to keep the check ball from getting stuck if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply: High load issue with normal boost