Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Problems

Alright guys well about 5 weeks ago cylinder 2 decided to detonate and shot the spark plug somewhere out of the head. So now im taking the head off the car and i bought the tension tool and everything but during me cranking it it popped and i think stripped. Is there anything i could do to fix this. Also i got the valve cover off and i have never seen this bolts before that hold the head on. I have built a couple other engines before but never used these bolts before. I have never taken apart a 4g63. If anyone can help me that would b awesome i really want to get this car on the road already.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

you are talking about a stripped timing belt tensioner tool, right?

And the fact you have never seen a bolt with a 12 point head, and your tearing your motor apart is kinda scary... I would strongly suggest you take your car to a reputable shop that has done good work on evo's before. Nottrying to flame, but your questions are pretty novice.

Last edited by Evo8luva; Jul 18, 2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: .
Old Jul 18, 2008, 09:12 AM

its my first 4g like i said... i have built Ka motors and Sr and some hondas... I know your not trying to flame at all i was just curious what bolts they were thats all
Old Jul 18, 2008, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

well, if you have a good amount of mechanical knowledge, everything you need to know, can be found here or in the mitsubishi service manual.

If you stripped out the threads on the tensioner itself, you will need to remove it and use a press to compress it. Which means when you fix the head, you are doing a timing belt job... There is a really good "how to" on here, also be sure to align the oil pump sprocket right.

Do some searching in the how to section, and good luck.