Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ported Stock O2 or tubular 02 Housing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ported Stock O2 or tubular 02 Housing

Which would be better. A Stainless Steel tubular O2 housing or a Ported and Jet Coated Stock 02 Housing? I guess the ported one shoule be more reliable but what about power gains? I am refering to the modification that Bushir Racing does to the stock O2. Here is the link: https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...6b9d7a16c953a2

Any experience with those?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Those are probably some of the best port work that you can do to a stock O2 housing and yet it still doesn't flow as well as the cheapest ebay sheetmetal O2 housings. I believe that David Buschur did some tests and a thread on here about the O2 housings and now he even sells the sheetmetal ones. As far as the ease of use factor then the ported stocker is the way to go. Retains ALL of the factory hardware to include the housing to block bracket support brace. and although you may not be concerned with warranty issues it would probably be easier to get warranty work approved with a ported stocker than it would a sheetmetal housing.

Josh
Old Jul 26, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tubular, not even close. Buschur picked up 15WHP on the crappy eBay unit over his ported unit. He now sells them. New with the 02 dumps by www.evopowermods.com with the MUCH larger turbine side and of course the dump itself, just get the tubular, it WORKS.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^what he said, but if sound is of concern to you the tubular exhaust housings do add a bit more bite to your exhaust note.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

02 dump housing >>> ported stock 02 or tubular 02 housing.

That is all.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

^ Nice!

Josh
Old Jul 26, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

What about the WORKS unit. Is it any good? For sure it is very expensive and looks to have an OEM like build quality, but what about performance?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Works is too expensive
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the powermods has 2 massive benefits,
1) the high speed exhaust gases have a nice big smooth radius to turn against
in a smooth and highly undisturbed manor this reduces backpressure.
2) the dump pipe reduces the amount of exhaust gases that flow down the exhaust in the first place.
had powermods done a mock up of both senarios
i.e
1) no mod to the radius but with a dump pipe
2) no dump but nice radius
i'm sure they'd both give good gains, but together ftw
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'm getting the epm as well! Doesn't look to be any downsides at all, except its louder when above 60% throttle. Works stuff is nice but the prices are really just to high compared to other options.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 03:04 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I am so glad I went with the o2 dump.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey Guys, thanks for the props. We did work hard to make our O2 Housing the best it could be. As an example we did design our Turbine tube to be much larger than anything else on the market. I did a test to measure volume, the Megan Racing had a volume of 400ml and our EPM O2 Housing came out with 675ml thats almost twice as much volume than the megan version. This is why the EPM O2 Housing is able to produce the power that it does. The added flow and less backpressure will allow your Turbo to breathe so much more efficiently.

Any questions just ask......as always Thanks for the recent orders. We are working hard at filling them all. This looks to be another awesome week.....!......
Old Oct 5, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Is the ebay/buschur tubular O2 housing louder than the stocker? Is it significanly louder?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 07:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leecavturbo
the powermods has 2 massive benefits,
1) the high speed exhaust gases have a nice big smooth radius to turn against
in a smooth and highly undisturbed manor this reduces backpressure.
2) the dump pipe reduces the amount of exhaust gases that flow down the exhaust in the first place.
had powermods done a mock up of both senarios
i.e
1) no mod to the radius but with a dump pipe
2) no dump but nice radius
i'm sure they'd both give good gains, but together ftw
Not sure what you mean by any of that but if anything that o2 dump will cause MORE turbulence because of the fact that the turbo/wastegate outlet aren't just two circles, they are two completely different shapes.

I hate to be a naysayer but nobody has yet to answer why they designed a turbo outlet that doesn't mate up with the turbo correctly.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 08:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tvieira24
Not sure what you mean by any of that but if anything that o2 dump will cause MORE turbulence because of the fact that the turbo/wastegate outlet aren't just two circles, they are two completely different shapes.

I hate to be a naysayer but nobody has yet to answer why they designed a turbo outlet that doesn't mate up with the turbo correctly.

I'll answer your question with a question....why was the OEM/Stock Turbo Hotside designed with the larger cutout wastegate area?...want the answer...well; it is because it was designed for an Internal Wastegate, it needed that larger area so that it could merge with the Exhaust/Turbine tube downstream.

We designed our O2 Dump to have it's Flange Hole/cutaway right above the wastegate puck. And wth our 2 nch tube it flows all the wategate can throw at it and still not be overburdened. there is No need for a huge wastegate collector, the flow is no-where near the amount of volume of the Exhaust/Turbine side. that is why we concentraited our efforts on designing a much much larger Turbine tube than anyother competitor out there.

I hope this answers your question, but if not let me know and I can discuss this further...thnx for the consideration...

Quick Reply: Ported Stock O2 or tubular 02 Housing