Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

removing egr and other junk.... need some help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
removing egr and other junk.... need some help

now i know its been talked about in a few threads but i need to know for sure what the hell im removing or leaving in.

i just picked up a DI manifold and hypertune TB. i had the mani tapped for the map sensor ans the IAC is also all setup....

i have the egr disabled in ecuflash now with no lights but everything is still installed on the car with the stock manifold. my main question is what vacume lines i can remove and do i need to leave everything plugged in or can i ditch that stuff too.... i have read around but it seems to be more here say on what to do. or at least it apears to be. so maybe this can turn into a facts thread for others as well.

now these pics are from extra parts from somthing else but its still all evo stuff..

in this pic its a bunch of vacume lines and the egr valve. but do you see the red and black check like valve thingy. what is that and does it need to still be hooked up..

that check valve runs into the big hoes here on the intake manifold... i dont know where it goes once its behind the manifold

so what can i remove or unplug or throw out. haaha
Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good question, I'm wondering the same thing. I removed my EGR as well from my BR ported IM, and slapped on BR's aluminum EGR blockoff plate....
Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
Good question, I'm wondering the same thing. I removed my EGR as well from my BR ported IM, and slapped on BR's aluminum EGR blockoff plate....
i know the egr can be removed. thats a fact. its the other crap im wondering about. i also got the block off plate but never put it on and i now dont need it since i got the new mani

im still on stock ecu so i got to make it ecu happy....
Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evodan2004
that check valve runs into the big hoes here on the intake manifold... i dont know where it goes once its behind the manifold

so what can i remove or unplug or throw out. haaha
This hose mentioned above routes back to the fuel pump. I think this can be removed and vent to atmosphere.

Last edited by Evo9tunerz; Aug 27, 2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo9tunerz
This hose mentioned above routes back to the fuel pump.

ok and that check valve thing is in line with it right... so i am guessing i need to tap the new mani and keep this??
Old Aug 28, 2008, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for more info
Old Aug 28, 2008, 06:44 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
OK dudes, more info. The hose running back to the fuel pump is just for venting, just point that at the ground, zip tie it somewhere so it doesn't get stuck somewhere it shouldn't. Get an EGR Block-off plate (I got one off of ebay for $5 shipped, working great) AND make sure you use a NEW gasket when installing it (often doesn't come with one) so it seals good and tight.

After that, take all of those hoses and just put them in a box or file them in the trash bin filing cabinet. Use any of the extra ports and eliminate any T's you have spliced off of a line elsewhere, and then block off all of the other ports with vacuum caps. SAVE the solenoids, as you will throw a CEL w/o them. Just plug them in (the wiring) and then zip tie them out of the way somewhere.

Lastly, go to the ecuflash forum and do a simple search for 'EGR' and and you will find as part of one of mrfred's other posts (on installing JDM MAP sensor I believe) a tidbit on what to change to delete the EGR check from the ECU. It's periphery 2 or 4, don't recall off the top of my head.

Enjoy! I've been running this setup for about 6-8 months now.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 06:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
Lastly, go to the ecuflash forum and do a simple search for 'EGR' and and you will find as part of one of mrfred's other posts (on installing JDM MAP sensor I believe) a tidbit on what to change to delete the EGR check from the ECU. It's periphery 2 or 4, don't recall off the top of my head.

Enjoy! I've been running this setup for about 6-8 months now.
Change Periphery 2 from EFDF to EDDF
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

What ar e the benefits of removing the egr valve? Besides a little bit of weight reduction...
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by kmcconn9
What ar e the benefits of removing the egr valve? Besides a little bit of weight reduction...
not having hot air recycled into your intake stream.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmcconn9
I have the same question... maybe only clener manifold?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 08:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by MR Turco
not having hot air recycled into your intake stream.
Originally Posted by piotr4net
I have the same question... maybe only clener manifold?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 08:30 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
and a cleaner engine bay
Old Aug 28, 2008, 08:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

scheides, i just ordered the block off plate. Seriously, $5 shipped on ebay. thanks for the heads up.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did this mod on my car with a Melocik Motorsports ported manifold and a Melocik Motorsports 65mm TB with Works seals and have had wonderful results! I am working on a step by step tutorial for a buddy of mine since he wants to do it also. I have a picture on my computer somewhere of what the inside of a stock manifold looks like after running the EGR for about 30k miles and what it looks like without it! Amazing difference!

+1 for a $5 block off plate. I made mine out of aluminum and it worked fine but for $5 it's not worth the hassle. Anyone have a link to those? Please post if you do.

Thanks

Josh

Quick Reply: removing egr and other junk.... need some help