Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Turboback catless sound level?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turboback catless sound level?

Can anyone give me an idea of how loud a full 80mm catless turbo back exhaust would be? Greddy has a new ti-c exhaust that comes with the downpipe with no option for a cat, and I'm thinking about picking it up. TIA
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo back with a test pipe is going to give you the most power, and it's pretty loud.

I personally have the AMS TBE with Test Pipe and it's beastly loud when WOT, but not too bad while idling/low RPM DDing.

Going to be hard to explain until you hear it in person, but this may help:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the greddy ti-c is a pretty loud exhaust. Test pipe will make it sound a bit louder over a cat or hfc.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

Depends on the exhaust... some are just louder than others.... No resonators or cats will make it the loudest of course... some systems have a resonators and are still loud as hell....

HKS Hipowers are way quiet, the carbo Ti is a bit louder than that... invidia seems loud whenever i hear them. just depends....

I personally prefer no resonators on my exhaust, with a Test pipe. Titanium systems tend to be louder than SS ones it seems.

GL
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

TBE with testpipe and no cat is mad loud!! if you care about your neighbors or even passengers, you wont get it.. its not only loud, it gives vibration inside the car, and your passengers will hate it
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

How are the police authorities with exhaust regulations down at SoCal? If they are very strict about it, I would not personally do this. But again, I have a HKS Hi-power(w/ resonator delete) with test pipe in MA. My license has been revoked.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Socal is full of smog ****'s!! but right now, our SMOG referee stations are all closed down due to budget cuts, and honestly may not re open.

But aside from that, driving an evo is a pure target out here in socal.... my IX has a set of cossie cams, 3" Downpipe, 3" Titanium test pipe, and 3" Full titanium exhaust, no resonators. loud as hell, idles loud, but its also not my daily... cops love to give me the stare when they see it, because chances are, they heard me first.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S6devil
TBE with testpipe and no cat is mad loud!! if you care about your neighbors or even passengers, you wont get it.. its not only loud, it gives vibration inside the car, and your passengers will hate it
It's not that bad. My neighbors never complain, and I've sat there and revved it up. And as far as passengers go, they love the sound but who wouldn't that is a car enthusiast? Really no vibration for me, guess it all depends on who what and where.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ASIXMRSE
Socal is full of smog ****'s!! but right now, our SMOG referee stations are all closed down due to budget cuts, and honestly may not re open.

But aside from that, driving an evo is a pure target out here in socal.... my IX has a set of cossie cams, 3" Downpipe, 3" Titanium test pipe, and 3" Full titanium exhaust, no resonators. loud as hell, idles loud, but its also not my daily... cops love to give me the stare when they see it, because chances are, they heard me first.
oh jeez. I remember back in the day when i was like 14, my cousin, who lives in Cerritos, bought a integra type-r and on his way back from the dealership, we got pulled over. I guess cops are all the same everywhere.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tnnrx7
It's not that bad. My neighbors never complain, and I've sat there and revved it up. And as far as passengers go, they love the sound but who wouldn't that is a car enthusiast? Really no vibration for me, guess it all depends on who what and where.
really? no vibration at all? I cant even listen to my mp3s in my car with my exhaust. and someone here mentioned that hks hi-power being quieter than others, i cant see how you consider your exhaust sound "not that bad(loud)" especially with your ams one!!!!!!!!!! i know thats gotta be loud as hell. please elaborate.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

just depends on personal preferance bro... im running an open dump, plus my full 3" TBE, with a Titanium testpipe, and titanium catback, no resonators. i love the sounds and noise, so for me, its not to loud. now a Harley ripping past you with some pipes is loud!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kim.ry
really? no vibration at all? I cant even listen to my mp3s in my car with my exhaust. and someone here mentioned that hks hi-power being quieter than others, i cant see how you consider your exhaust sound "not that bad(loud)" especially with your ams one!!!!!!!!!! i know thats gotta be loud as hell. please elaborate.
I don't know how much more I can elaborate. I mean there's a slight vibration, but its not rattling anything and I can hear my music perfectly fine. I'm not saying it's not loud, because it is, but it's not as bad as other cars I have heard. Only time it's ridiculously loud is WOT. DD 3k RPM shifts doesn't produce that much noise.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

It all depends on the exhaust. Someone already said that, but clearly no one else has read that. I had an Injen, catless full TBE. Barely louder than stock unless I was going WOT. Then I've heard things like Invidia that are loud as hell all the time. Totally just depends on the build of the rest of the exhaust. A catless exhaust compared to a catted one of exactly the same type is going to be louder though, as long as you factor out the rest of the system. Most of it is going to be in the resonators and the muffler more than having a cat/testpipe. Mine wasn't much quieter when I went back to a highflow right before selling it (for emissions).
Old Sep 5, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

like i said, its all in the exhaust design. invidia looks similar to a lot of exhaust out there, but its pretty damn loud for "looking similar" completely depends. i find Titanium is louder of course than stainless. at least everytime i have seen and heard them, its been that way.

as far as vibration, not so much... i get more vibration from my moto mounts than the exhaust... the exhaust is loud yes, and you definately feel it, but its not annoying
Old Sep 5, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostless
Can anyone give me an idea of how loud a full 80mm catless turbo back exhaust would be? Greddy has a new ti-c exhaust that comes with the downpipe with no option for a cat, and I'm thinking about picking it up. TIA
Do you have a link to this setup? I'd like to see this myself.

Quick Reply: Turboback catless sound level?