Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

boost leak test causing oil leak from 02 housing?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost leak test causing oil leak from 02 housing?

Ok, I got the turbo, FMIC, piping etc all on the car and am getting closer to have her ready to run. I decided to do a boost leak test tonight...

Firstly, I have the PCV valve eliminated with a NPT fitting (Dave Buschur has talked about this as well in his catch can thread, its a DSMer thing to do)

I have one saikou catch can handling duties on the PCV side. I have another catch can between the breather and intake, but have not hooked it up.

When I started the test, air started to come out of the breather line since I dont have my ETS intake on since I am doing a boost leak test after all nor do I have second catch can hooked up, so I capped it shut, not sure if this is right or wrong to do?

I have my downpipe still off the car and am waiting on my TRE transfer case, but I figured I should still be able to test.

I start to test for leaks at 15 psi or so which is what my compressor was reading.

firstly, I start hearing gurgling noises from the oil pan area and assume this is normal. If I capped my hand on the FP 02 housing outlet, it went away. So, I am like whatever and continued...

I find a boost leak at the catch can line returning to the intake manifold. It takes me 2 tries to fix this as I had to switch to silicone hose and 2 worm clamps as the rubber fuel hose line I was using does not seem to seal well.

No other audible leaks. I decide to try the soap water spray test to see if I can find anything.

As I walk to get my sprayer, I find a puddle of fresh oil under the 02 housing, I had just filled the engine with mobil 1.

So, I am like - wtf and start looking - I find that oil is dripping out of my 02 housing. I stick my hand in the 02 housing and feel oil coming out of the wastegate section of the 02 housing.

I am assuming this is not normal? The turbo is a brand new FP green with 0 miles on it. I am wondering if there is a seal issue in the turbo?

I did some google searches and have not found this issue reported. So, am I doing something wrong here?

I hope I haven't caused any damage. Heck, I was pushing 15 psi thru, I doubt any gaskets or seals could have been blown by this?

Please advise!

Last edited by EvoIXMR; Sep 10, 2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why don't you yank the turbo off and take it to a local turbo rebuild shop and have them check the shaft seals? Although, I'd think that if the seals were bad it would push oil out the turbine outlet and not out through the wastegate bypass port. Although, admittedly, I am not anywhere near being knowledgeable on this issue(or anything else, either). I surely hope that you get it figured out though.