Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help urgent! Car makes really wierd noise.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help urgent! Car makes really wierd noise.

Ok I did my timing belt not so long ago and now I get this really weird noise at about 2k rpms. Thats the only rpm range it will make the noise. The only thing I can think of is when they finished the timing belt they turned on the car and accidentally left the rubber line from the back of the valve cover off and the car was idling bad but they put it back on and it idles fine now but always makes that sound at that rpm. It sounds like its coming from the intake manifold area but I cant really be sure. The noise is more noticable inside the car then from the engine area. Im kinda nervous my engines gonna be damaged or is already damaged so can you guys help. The car runs great and I have not any problems with it except that annoying noise. I also have a leak from my oil filter but I think I just need to tighten it more. I have a video below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8507662@N07/2903678968/
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would make sure all the pulley bolts are tight! sounds like a loose bolt on one of the pulleys!
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

i know one of the bolts on the tensioner for the serpentine belt broke and they had to use another one. You think that could be the cause of do you think it is one of the pulleys on the timing belt. and why only at that certain rpm?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

also i took the cam gear cover off and the belt already has the little teeth lines like the picture below already. Is that normal for a 1 week old belt?

Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

anyone know?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had my belts changed, and they dont look like that.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heck no! The timing belt should never rub anything. The whine at ~2k is probably a harmonic or just the right belt speed for it to rub. I would resolve this problem before starting that engine again! A snapped timing belt is a dead 4g63. I agree with checking the belt tensioner and the cam pullies.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

It was just an exhaust leak. a really really really bad exhaust leak. I put it on a jack today and my friend reved the engine and the sound is coming from the cat. I knew i had a leak and never got around to fixing it but i didnt think it was gonna get that bad. New gasket is going on tomorrow and probably gut the cat since im sure its ****ed by now. The timing belt seems to be fine.