Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP RED 93 vs 100oct

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP RED 93 vs 100oct

I just had this turbo installed at Ivey's along with Qtp 02 dump and ported exhaust manifold. I love this turbo top end is awesome with very little lag compared to stock IX turbo. We were having some problems with boost creep on 93 oct. It hits 20psi then slowly creeps to 25psi in the higher rpms that is why the torque spike is down some. Ivey's suggestion was to go with a Tial 38mm External Wastegate to eliminate the boost creep. Since the 02 dump is already in place it shouldnt be to hard to weld up. The 780cc injectors were maxed out on 100oct he suggests going to 1000cc and it should get over 480whp.

On 100oct and 30+psi (my gauge only goes to 30) the turbo really wakes up and it pulls very hard to 8k redline. No boost creep on 100oct. Overall this is a fantastic turbo for a bolt on car (especially top end) at 25psi with 93 oct but it really shines at higher boost with higher oct. Ivey is the man great tuner and top notch service as well!!!

435whp 367wtq 93oct 25psi
466whp 415wtq 100oct 30+psi
Attached Thumbnails FP RED 93 vs 100oct-dyno-fp-red.gif  
Old Oct 5, 2008, 09:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Interesting that you had boost creep with the O2 dump. Haven't heard of that before, but then again most of the write-ups have been with the EPM one. I would change out the actuator for the OEM one before trying an external dump. Good numbers for pump though!
Old Oct 5, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Looks like a blast
Old Oct 5, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Good numbers. throw some 110 in there and break 500hp. Sean is a great tuner
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice. What cams are you on since it says you are selling the cosis?
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Sorry to hear about your issues. We've had many customers run an FP RED with awesome results. Yes; I would def check out your WGActuator or give me a call. Throw some E-85 on that Red and see what it will do.....
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:10 AM

This is a great turbo for E85 or race gas. It responds so well to 30+psi. If I had E85 around here, I would buy it.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:25 AM
Former Sponsor

nice pump numbers!
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:25 AM

If i had E85 around me i would do that unfortunately there are no stations near me. I'm on the Stock Cams. The Idle was too aggressive for me on the Cossies. The car runs much smoother on stock cams atleast for now. I'm interested in putting a milder cam probably the Kelfords or HKS in the future. The diameter on the pipe is larger on the QTP thats why i was surprised it had some boost creep. Sean said the compressor is pushing to much air for the flapper in the internal wastegate, his suggestion was go to external and/or contact FP.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:53 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
reason why you decided to take the M2's out
Old Oct 5, 2008, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by deuce329
If i had E85 around me i would do that unfortunately there are no stations near me. I'm on the Stock Cams. The Idle was too aggressive for me on the Cossies. The car runs much smoother on stock cams atleast for now. I'm interested in putting a milder cam probably the Kelfords or HKS in the future. The diameter on the pipe is larger on the QTP thats why i was surprised it had some boost creep. Sean said the compressor is pushing to much air for the flapper in the internal wastegate, his suggestion was go to external and/or contact FP.
It isnt the diameter of the pipe, it is the fact that the flapper blocks the entry to the pipe, and all the WG flow is along the wall of the WG passage in the TH and the pipe is not accepting this flow from the wall, the pipe accepts flow from the center of the WG passage. This is fine if you are not looking for a lot of WG flow and running high boost, this is bad if you are trying to keep low boost. Does make any sense, people spend tons of extra time match porting parts together and then install a O2 housing that has a 1/2 lip all the way around the WG opening. Lay a stock gasket on one of these O2 housings and see what I am talking about.

There have bee ZERO boost creep/control problems on EVOReds prior to atm dumps. I have not had any maker of a ATM dump send me a sample to approve and endorse for use with our EVORed turbos.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance
It isnt the diameter of the pipe, it is the fact that the flapper blocks the entry to the pipe, and all the WG flow is along the wall of the WG passage in the TH and the pipe is not accepting this flow from the wall, the pipe accepts flow from the center of the WG passage. This is fine if you are not looking for a lot of WG flow and running high boost, this is bad if you are trying to keep low boost. Does make any sense, people spend tons of extra time match porting parts together and then install a O2 housing that has a 1/2 lip all the way around the WG opening. Lay a stock gasket on one of these O2 housings and see what I am talking about.

There have bee ZERO boost creep/control problems on EVOReds prior to atm dumps. I have not had any maker of a ATM dump send me a sample to approve and endorse for use with our EVORed turbos.
Robert, what 1/2 lip are you referring to, the QTP has a different wastegate opening compared to the EPM open dump? Do you think the Works O2 housing would benefit the op, ref boost creep? IIRC you were running the Works O2 & front pipe during the tests for the White & Red?

deuce329 I realize that you have chosen the QTP open dump for personal reason's. However if it's the open dump & not the actual wastegate causing the boost creep maybe try out another O2 housing before switching over to an external wastegate. You may save some money & begin a process of elimination. I personally like the QTP open dump because it has been designed with the same/similar dimensions as the stocker wastegate opening.

Great numbers with the Red & supporting mod's, that torque curve is nearly flat from 4000 - 7000rpm. The car must be a ton of fun to drive....well done.

Steve
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:28 AM
Former Sponsor

We at EvoPowerMods have had dozens of customers running our O2 Dump with the FP Red/Green, and No One has reported back Any Boost Creep Issue.

Results speak way louder than theory.

And who is going to buy a FP Red and run only 18lbs of boost anyways?

Our results with way over 150 units sold and dozens of FP Red/Green customers speak for themselves...we have not seen Any Boost Creep Issue
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance

After reading this thread, I searched for info on the QTP o2 dump, and it seems to be properly designed with the dump opening matching the outlet of the turbine housing.

http://quicktimeperformance.com/Dumptube/

Perhaps the issue is unrelated, I can't imagine a housing designed like this doing anything but preventing creep. I'm also curious what gasket people are using with o2 dumps, since the stock gasket is undivided.

Last edited by Steve93Talon; Oct 13, 2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Boost creep happens when a wategate cannot bleed off enough exhaust gas flow BEFORE it reaches the turbine wheel. The 10.5 single-flapper housing's turbine bypass port(s) as cast are restrictive. There is a lot of porting that needs to be done at the turn in radii from the turbine inlet area. Also, the fact that there is an axial divider wall reduces flow volume.

O2 housings are post bypass port and thus, are located aft of the restrictive wategate bypass port in the turbine housing. Bolting on a free flowing O2 housing won't always solve the problem of the restrictive bypass port in the turbine housing. Don't get me wrong I am not against the O2 dump setups on the market. Actually, I want one.

I am merely a proponent of thoroughly porting the turbine housing to improve bypass flow as a means of diverting exhaust flow at the turbine inlet before it reaches the main scroll area and the turbine blade tips. The turn in radii are too tight and the port itself is too restrictive. Improving bypass flow by porting the turbine housing can help reduce boost creep independently of whether or not the O2 housing is free flowing.

Last edited by sparky; Oct 13, 2008 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: FP RED 93 vs 100oct