Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: ACT Clutch? Positive or Negative?
ACT HDSS - Positive
56.38%
ACT HDSS - Negative
21.28%
ACT XTSS - Positive
8.51%
ACT XTSS - Negative
6.38%
ACT HDG6 - Positive
12.77%
ACT HDG6 - Negative
4.26%
ACT XTG6 - Positive
1.06%
ACT XTG6 - Negative
4.26%
ACT HDG4 - Positive
1.06%
ACT HDG4 - Negative
3.19%
ACT XTG4 - Positive
1.06%
ACT XTG4 - Negative
3.19%
ACT HDR6 - Positive
6.38%
ACT HDR6 - Negative
4.26%
ACT XTR6 - Postive
1.06%
ACT XTR6 - Negative
3.19%
ACT HDR4 - Positive
2.13%
ACT HDR4 - Negative
3.19%
ACT XTR4 - Positive
1.06%
ACT XTR4 - Negative
3.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

ACT Clutch Poll!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by syktek
XTSS with streetlite flywheel and no issues.
why do you think some people have issues and others don't? this is so confusing...did you have a upper or lower ss clutch line? or shifter busings? did you adjust your clutch?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just placed an order for the act hd-ttp special , i hear they dont lock out in high rpm we'll see
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
My ACT was fine for the first I'd say 30k or more than the issue started. The clutch is great if I dont try to shift at 7500+ rpm. Then it just gets me angry

Can't wait on the rebuild so I can get the clutch that should have went into the car to begin with. Live and learn. Should have listened to Warrtalon
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

i am putting a hdss and gruppe s flywheel in this weekend. hopefully all goes well. what flywheel bolts are you guys using. and dont say reuse them
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

well my powerband doesn't go past 7500 rpm so i should be fine right? what cams do you have? i wonder what the power band on kelford 272s would be
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joseph k
i am putting a hdss and gruppe s flywheel in this weekend. hopefully all goes well. what flywheel bolts are you guys using. and dont say reuse them
i would like to know this also! i never thought about the flywheel bolts...should you buy new OE ones or is there a good aftermarket replacement for them? would it be bad to reuse them?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Exedy Ftw!!!!

EXEDY TWIN HD is the way to go. i daily drive my car with occasional track use on this clutch with NO issues! NO lockout, little noise, and awesome pedal feel. I got mine a little over a year ago from Enjuku Racing down in Florida... where I get ALL my stuff from. They always hook me and my bf up.
Exedy Twin Plate Clutch Kit for Mitsubishi EVO VIII
Old Oct 22, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

I have the HDG6 with gruppe-s flywheel. This clutch is only good if you have a front motor mount. I adjusted it many times and did whatever I could and it locked out. Once I put the front mount on it all went away. Granted the 6 puck is a little harsh at times I have no more complaints.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by joseph k
I reused mine. Never seen any shop replace them. Clutch has been in the car 60k now.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

I finally got my Exedy twin HD installed last weekend. I had an ACT before, that worked great until I got my Red installed. I think the Red was just too much power. It didn't shift for crap at high RPMs. I was leary of the Exedy from reading how noisy and harsh it was. After driving it, I love it. Shifting is 100x better. Clutch is not nearly as stiff. It's also not as noisy as I expected. Once you get used to the engagement it is fine driving through town. I would recommend anyone to just get the Exedy.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:49 PM

ACT HDSS stock flywheel, no problems
Old Oct 22, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

ACT HDSS stock flywheel idea for around 425 fo sho ... ACT makes great stuff...
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:17 PM

Iv been reading alot about this lockout thing and i have defiantly had this problem. I got my evo ( 2005 evo8) used with about 40k on it. I didnt really know much about it, just that it defiantly had and aftermarket clutch, the bite and petal pressure was too much for stock. so as im learning the car and pushing the car i find that it i try to shift anywhere past 6800 it would lock me out. so when i asked a friend about it he said that its all about the way you shift. Before i did that i would get locked out everytime without fail. now a lock out is a rare occurrence( mainly when i bring it to the top of the power bad and half *** the shift into the next gear). The only point im getting at with this story is that regardless of what clutch i had i was getting lockout really bad, but i managed to change my style of shifting and overcame the lockout.. and its really funny because iv watched a couple of the friends with evos try to drive my car and they get locked out. then i get in and presto i rip through like i have no idea what they are talking about LMAO. Its all about how you use the throttle between gears.. i increase the throttle as i am putting it into gear and only let off about 2/3eds as it comes out. its all different!! though keep working at it you will eventually get it!! provided ur not getting lock out due to incorrect clutch install/ adjustment or a worn clutch.

BUT ANYWAYS.....

how street able is the 10lb flywheel? im about to replace mine and people are tellin me its too light.

just fyi- im putting in a HDG6

thanks
Old Oct 22, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a hard time understanding all of this.

Can anybody tell me why Evolutions have such a hard time using an ACT clutch? (BTW, I'm not sure about know, but it was known for a while that Exedy was producing ACT's pressure plates).

Why is it that DSM guys, with our "old crappy" non ACD having transmissions can install an ACT clutch with all of our crappy factory (old) rubber lines and hydraulic components, and have years of reliable service even with weekend after weekend of hard launching and shifting past 7500 rpms?

I'm wondering how much of a factor it is with faulty installation and driver error...

I have used ACT clutches in all of my DSMs since I got into them in 05, as have almost every person I know with a 4G63 engine (the most commonly purchased unit is their 2600 pressure plate and organic street disc combo), even with guys putting down more than 500-550 wheel.

Last edited by TalonTuner4G63; Oct 22, 2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evane
i would like to know this also! i never thought about the flywheel bolts...should you buy new OE ones or is there a good aftermarket replacement for them? would it be bad to reuse them?
i spoke with a few people that i would trust and got the final word from the one i was looking to hear back from(John Shepherd). OEM bolts are what they use, along with everyone else i talked to. ARP doesn't make any, and i am not real fond of reusing things such as that.

Quick Reply: ACT Clutch Poll!!!