Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Pure Tuning Intake Manifold Testing (Magnus vs OE)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:56 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pure Tuning Intake Manifold Testing (Magnus vs OE)

First things first... The point of reference will be the Magnus Street Intake Manifold (MSIM) which was on the car originally when we finished the new turbo setup. The MSIM had been on the car for 3-4yrs already so we used it for the build

However, we were looking for more on the existing setup and needed a new intake manifold to take better advantage of the turbo and headwork.

First will be the dyno graph of the MSIM. This is the manifold without the velocity stacks.

Test were performed on our Mustang Dynamometer MD-1100-AWD-SE.

All Manifolds A/F's were tuned for a true comparison.

Magnus Street Intake Manifold

Car: 2003 Evo 8
Engine: Pure Stage3 2.0L w/ Pure Spec-C Cylinder Head
Fuel: 93 octane
Turbo: Borg Warner S259
Intake Manifold: Magnus (Street)
Throttle Body: OE Knife Edged and Radiused
Cams: HKS 272
Max Boost: 23psi
Atmospheric Temp: 76Deg
Relative Humidity: 5.7%

I also decided to weigh the manifolds with all fittings. I didn't feel it was fair without since the stock OE intake manifolds are pressed in. The MSIM cam in at 2519.6grams which is 5.56lbs.

Next:
Magnus V5 Intake Manifold Dyno Test

The graph shows the Magnus Street vs the Magnus V5. Nothing else mechanical was changed for this test other than the length of the upper intercooler pipe to accommodate the intake manifold. Past 6000rpm the M-V5 did exactly what we wanted.

Turbo: Borg Warner S259
Intake Manifold: Magnus V5
Atmospheric Temp: 59Deg
Relative Humidity: 0%

Peak Gain of 20.8whp over the older Magnus Manifold!

The Magnus V5 was the heaviest at 3988.8grams / 8.79lbs.

Next:
OE Intake Manifold Unported

We decided to do this test because everyone seems to think the stock intake manifold is better than the older Magnus manifolds.
The stock intake manifold was not ported or modified in any way that would affect power. This was done for a true off the shelf comparison since porting can induce inconsistencies depending on who does it and how it is done.
The SIM's A/F were tuned to match both Magnus intake manifolds so this could be as true of a comparison as possible. The ambient air temps were much cooler than the day we tested the MSIM by 16degs with a little better humidity also. The graphs posted always use the SAE correction factor so we can try to make up for the temperature discrepancy, so take it for what it's worth.

So before anyone comments on it...
The boost maximums shown on the dyno graph are just that. The maximum reading is from the initial boost spike at 4300-4550 depending on which graph you are looking at. Once past that initial hump the boost settles in and maintains the mid 23psi curve to redline as you can tell from the 24psi x-axis point.

The test yielded some interesting results. Spool up was increased by a consistent 150rpm making peak boost by 4400rpm instead of 4550rpm. There was a peak gain of 15whp around 5200rpm with a solid whp improvement from 4800rpm to 5400rpm. There is a slight increase in power at 5900rpm and from 65-6800rpm which is directly correlated to the increase in boost at those points if you look at the boost mapping. After 6900rpm the SIM looses it's *** with a peak loss of 17whp at 7600rpm.

Without adjusting the cams or porting the SIM, the diff in ambient temp, and the diff in weight between the two manifolds the Magnus Street Intake Manifold wins without question. I however would probably still stay with the SIM for the spool and the mid-range power.

The graph shows the Magnus Street vs OE Stock Intake Manifold. Nothing else mechanical was changed for this test other than the length of the upper intercooler pipe to accommodate the intake manifold.

Turbo: Borg Warner S259 / Open T3 .55ar Stainless Turbine Housing
Intake Manifold: OE Unported
Atmospheric Temp: 60Deg
Relative Humidity: 0%

The OE Intake Manifold was the mid-weight at 3242.2 / 7.15lbs.

Last a graph of all three overlapping each other.
Magnus V5 with a peak gain of 20.8whp / 15ftlbs. over the Magnus SIM
Magnus V5 with a peak gain of 37whp / 27ftlbs over the OE Intake Manifold
Magnus SIM with a peak gain of 17 whp / 12ftlbs. over the OE Intake Manifold
OE Intake Manifold with 150rpm better spool and 15whp / 14ftlbs. at 5200rpm over both Magnus Manifolds.

Thanks for viewing.

Last edited by Keith-PURE Tuning; Oct 28, 2008 at 06:17 AM. Reason: TypeO
The following users liked this post:
Kris86 (Oct 6, 2016)
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Great info, thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:36 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think that there was ever a question of the old magnus compared to the stock manifold, it was the old magnus compared to the PORTED stock manifold/TB that was in question.

EXCELLENT test, the new magnus manifold looks like it is good for some decent gains up top. Now compare it to the Wilson V2!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice comparison, that V5 is a pretty piece man
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice post
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Great test, glad to see the new Magnus cast making awesome power!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice. Always good to see real data
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Impressive test. Not sure what to think though. I guess ultimately the old style Magnus was a dog. That said, respect for Magnus being one of the first out there making an aftermarket intake manifold for the Evo in the USA. But damn it obviously was not tested well to begin with. Small gains after 6900 =
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by scheides
I don't think that there was ever a question of the old magnus compared to the stock manifold, it was the old magnus compared to the PORTED stock manifold/TB that was in question.

EXCELLENT test, the new magnus manifold looks like it is good for some decent gains up top. Now compare it to the Wilson V2!
I have received several emails and pm's regarding testing of a stock or ported intake manifold. Could have possibly been that everyone was requesting a Wilson Manifold to be tested but since there was such a large discrepancy in their requests we decided the easiest to initially test was a stock one.

If someone wanted to get us a Wilson V2 for testing we would be happy to test it on this setup.

We will also be testing a few different throttle body sizes to see what works best.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by crcain
But damn it obviously was not tested well to begin with. Small gains after 6900 =
Not sure what you mean when the older Magnus manifold kept gaining power till 7500 when it gave up?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

I'm tempted to ship you my V2 that's on my shelf.

If I'm not mistaken, Toledo is in Ohio... Why don't you just get one from Wakeman?

-E
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice review !
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That shot inside shows that you tested the oldest Magnus SMIM as well, since it does not have the full radius velocity stacks, like the currrent Magnus SMIM (non-cast) has...
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:47 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Wicked E
I'm tempted to ship you my V2 that's on my shelf.

If I'm not mistaken, Toledo is in Ohio... Why don't you just get one from Wakeman?

-E
You are correct. I'll pay for shipping if you want to send it. You'll be without it for about 2weeks and it will be properly taken car of.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:48 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
That shot inside shows that you tested the oldest Magnus SMIM as well, since it does not have the full radius velocity stacks, like the currrent Magnus SMIM (non-cast) has...
Correct as I stated that in the post regarding the velocity stacks.

Quick Reply: Pure Tuning Intake Manifold Testing (Magnus vs OE)