Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Where is the font diff?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where is the font diff?

I've had people tell me it's in the t case and I've had people tell me it's in the trans. I've also viewed a "how to" front LSD install and it was in the t case. I'm confused.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
It is inside the transfer case. The center differential is inside the transmission. From an old post by me:

There are three components inside the transfer case. One is the ring and pinion gear set that allows the power to change direction and head down the drive shaft to the back of the car. The second is the front differential. The third thing in there is the viscous coupler for the center diff (the center diff actually lives back inside the tranny).

The thing that most people break inside the transfer case is the spider gears in the front differential. Dude goes and practices his launches, gets some wheel hop and breaks the spider gears in the front differential. He goes to the dealership and they tell him he needs a new transfer case for $2k+. Thus the thinking that the transfer cases are weak. Some people have had trouble with the ring and pinion gears, but most trouble is with the front differential.

Busted Stock Front Diffs:

Mitsubishi had Getrag of Germany build the transfer case assembly for the EVO. This is normally a good thing since Getrag builds some nice stuff. But also Getrag has this thing about not selling service parts separate. Everyone always cries about this after the fact but how many of you axed about it before buying the car?

An aftermarket limited slip front differential will give you better traction coming out of a corner, yes. But most importantly it will prevent you from busting up your stock weak front diff, or if you catch it right away allow you to salvage your transfer case assembly by replacing just the differential. You can buy an aftermarket limited slip front differential before or after you blow up your stocker. But you will buy one if you are going to have fun with your car.

Mike W
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Excellent info thank you.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't want to start an argument here but I don't believe the "center diff" is in the tranny.

The xfer case is attached to a differential by ring and pinion gears. These are located in the xfer case.

The Viscous coupler which takes the place of the "center diff" is connected to the front diff by means of pinion.

The TC ring gear is directly driven by a hollow spline coming out of the Transmission. That hollow spline is connected to the final drive in the tranny and not another diff.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope..

it def in the TC!
the evo uses a very tricky system, I know this because recently we dropped in a Carbonetic front LSd in my car and we stripped the TC and bolted it on the crown and pinion.

so Mike W is spot on
Have a look at the sticky about how ACD works I think there is a cutaway on how the diffs work.

but 110% it is in the TC
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I don't want to start an argument here but I don't believe the "center diff" is in the tranny.

The xfer case is attached to a differential by ring and pinion gears. These are located in the xfer case.

The Viscous coupler which takes the place of the "center diff" is connected to the front diff by means of pinion.

The TC ring gear is directly driven by a hollow spline coming out of the Transmission. That hollow spline is connected to the final drive in the tranny and not another diff.
center diff is in tranny . tc house the front diff only. take the tranny apart if u havent u will see it..
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

^ I disagree.....

None the less...... if something in the tranny broke he wouldn't be getting any power to any of the wheels. If the car is FWD I would think that means its between the front diff and rear wheels.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Jeff I've seen pics of another diff that is in fact located in the tranny. The factory service manual also list it as the "center diff".

Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^ that explains it all.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:11 AM

Front diff is definitely in the Transfer case. As I'm having my front diff replaced with a Quaife LSD. It's at Shep's now.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

drivetrain
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DrivetrainV2.pdf (99.2 KB, 17 views)
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

it's under the car.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

The factory service manual incorrectly labels the final drive as the center diff. Nasty, even your SRT4 will have a "center diff" in the tranny.

When refering to an AWD car and AWD diffs you wouldn't call that the center diff. Now if you are talking about only a transmission whether it be AWD or FWD you may call that a center diff but its really a final drive gear.

This is not to be confused with the AWD system center diff. As stated before....

The 03/04 has a VCU and the 05/06 has ACD. Both have a final drive gear in the tranny. Both have their center diff or VC in the xfer case. Riddle me this... Where is the ACD located? What does it stand for?

Lastly.... if your incorrectly labelled center diff was junk how would you get any power to any of the wheels? The piece feeds the xfer case which feeds both front and rear wheels.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Oct 28, 2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

The center diff is in both you could say. It is in the gearbox for sure as I run a Kaaz front and center LSD. The Kaaz center is in the gearbox and the front is in the transfer case and you remove the VCU.

For the stock setup, the center diff in the tranny is an open diff, and VCU in the transfer case makes the open center diff behave better.

ACD is Active Center Differential and is a different type of front diff / transfer case setup from Evo 7 forward on Jap specs.

Last edited by crcain; Oct 28, 2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Doh! I just said ACD is Active Center... and then proceeded to say it is a different type of front diff which is incorrect. It is a different type of CENTER diff and presumably it works like the VCU works in terms of augmenting how the open center diff in the tranny works.

Quick Reply: Where is the font diff?