Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy twin disc clutch noise.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am curious did any of you, who had the seal bark on engagement or downshifting, take it back to the shop to get it inspected. Based on Wicked Whites post there was an error on install, now my question would be, is there an easy way to check for that kind of an error at the shop. (I am assuming they have to take the clutch apart to see if there is an issue?)
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by deepcover6
I am curious did any of you, who had the seal bark on engagement or downshifting, take it back to the shop to get it inspected. Based on Wicked Whites post there was an error on install, now my question would be, is there an easy way to check for that kind of an error at the shop. (I am assuming they have to take the clutch apart to see if there is an issue?)
The bark comes ang goes for me. Mostly it happens when I baby the car a lot and am doing down shifts and don't properly rev match. When I am hard on the car I never hear the "bark".

Guess it is the car's way of saying "beat me, give me love"
Old Feb 19, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

i get a bark but mine is when i am taken off real fast. not like a launch. when i am pulling out on to the road. after that i can't get it to make the noise again. it is every rare that it does it though. so i am not to worried about it.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Mine does it too ,, and a buddies also. His seems lil louder though..

It definitely nothing to worry about.. If you don't like that lil bit of noise, you probably shouldn't buy an evo.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by FastAzzEvo
Mine does it too ,, and a buddies also. His seems lil louder though..

It definitely nothing to worry about.. If you don't like that lil bit of noise, you probably shouldn't buy an evo.
^^Probably shouldn't buy an EVO?????
Since when does the EVO come with clutch noise from day of purchase. The 'bark' sound did not occur previously when I had an ACT. The sound is clutch specific not EVO specific.
Some of you have mentioned having that sound from other stock cars as well. The EVO has its own share of normal Rally car like noises that I have grown accustomed to and love, but anything that makes a noise out of the ordinary gives me room for concern.

Last edited by deepcover6; Feb 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

I'm really starting to hate this clutch
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:47 AM

Appauld, what you say is true...I have had the same experience with the clutch...when I was overly protective of it and taking care of every engagement...it gave me the 'bark'...I did a couple of 5k launches and it is quiet as a mouse on regular take offs.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
This is all very worrisome
Old Feb 1, 2010, 02:34 AM

My Evo use to have the seal bark after the Exedy install, but, after 12K miles and numerous Prosolo launches, it has no seal bark. I actually forgot about the seal bark until I noticed this thread and realized, hey, my seal bark is gone. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it guys, if my bark went away then you guys have nothing to worry about it. I abuse the heck out of mine.

Last edited by IceHawk; Feb 1, 2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the bark too exedy twin disc hd so has anyone discovered the cause and how bad it id for the car
Old Aug 6, 2010, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to necro a thread, but never had a noise with my twin disc since it was installed. However recently, I'm getting a noise/whine (hard to explain) ONLY when I take off in first gear. It's definitely tied to the clutch since it only does it when I start to let off on the clutch. I do not hear this sound when shifting into other gears.

Hopefully it's nothing.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

my exedy twin noise is a cross between a whine and a growl. It's hard to describe but it's probably the same noise a lot of you are experiencing. It's the floater plate between the two clucth discs rattling/moving within it's cradle as the clutch discs start to grab it and apply more clamping pressure. If I baby the first gear engagement, no noise. If I launch the car hard, no noise. But if I hit it just right in between those two extremes, I get the noise.

I thought it might be the clutch discs themselves rattling around on the input shaft (that would be bad!), but the splines on both the input shaft and clutch discs look good with no signs of damage.

If the floater plate rattles around a bit, that's not damaging and nothing to worry about from a mechanical standpoint. It does make the car sound kinda gehtto though.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

^^

Might be what I'm experiencing. I noticed that if I just slowly let the clutch out with no gas pedal, it doesn't make as much noise as applying a little big of gas.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by metalsaber
Not to necro a thread, but never had a noise with my twin disc since it was installed. However recently, I'm getting a noise/whine (hard to explain) ONLY when I take off in first gear. It's definitely tied to the clutch since it only does it when I start to let off on the clutch. I do not hear this sound when shifting into other gears.

Hopefully it's nothing.
my buddies evo 8 has this a first gear noise i want to say its the tranny, he has a shep stage 1 TC and a full face Comp Clutch with ACT streetlite flywheel. i want to say he had the noise before that clutch went in as well. but before he was running a 6 puck clutch.

if i am wanting to spend 1600 on a clutch setup i would like for it not to cause any issues. i know it s good clutch but for the money i would rather get a good single plate clutch and a hydraulic TOB, or fork stop setup and have spent alot less than 1600 with hopefully no chatter lol
Old Aug 6, 2010, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
my buddies evo 8 has this a first gear noise i want to say its the tranny, he has a shep stage 1 TC and a full face Comp Clutch with ACT streetlite flywheel. i want to say he had the noise before that clutch went in as well. but before he was running a 6 puck clutch.

if i am wanting to spend 1600 on a clutch setup i would like for it not to cause any issues. i know it s good clutch but for the money i would rather get a good single plate clutch and a hydraulic TOB, or fork stop setup and have spent alot less than 1600 with hopefully no chatter lol
I should also point out it does it in Reverse as well.

Quick Reply: Exedy twin disc clutch noise.