Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Valve Cover Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve Cover Oil Leak

Okay I did my head studs about two weeks ago. Car's running great, but I've got a leak somewhere in my Valve Cover. I am pretty confident it's the spark plugs gaskets that sit right on the valve cover, but I'm not totally sure.

Anyhow the valve cover reserviour has been filling with oil and yesterday I pulled off the spark plug cover and coils and noticed that one of my spark plug holes was filled with 1/2" of oil.

Here's a picture, I cleaned up the oil, but you can see it appears the gasket was torn. Would this be the cause, or should I be looking for something else too?

Old Dec 3, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
take your vavle cover and look at that gasket and the other gaskets. it will be noticable what is causing your leak
Old Dec 3, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

I did take it off twice and nothing jumped out at me. Guess I'll have to do it one more time. Just thought I'd see if anyone else had similar issues and could let me know where else I should be looking for this leak.

Thanks,
Old Dec 3, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Why dont you replace the gaskets?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Just ordered the gaskets today. Hopefully that'll work.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

I would definatly say it is the spark plug gaskets, they could have already been worn and when you pulled the VC off it may have just been enough disturbance to make them leak.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you broke your valve cover when you over tightened that bolt. I seen it a couple of times on other peoples cars.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by mrcox
Sounds like you broke your valve cover when you over tightened that bolt. I seen it a couple of times on other peoples cars.
yeah but that isn't where it would leak. i am a veterin of cracking my VC. it would leak around the bolt where the pressure would cause a crack. there really isn't enough tourqe on aruond the plugs to cause a stress crack there, at least without causing one some place else first.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
smear a thin layer of rtv on the gasket and then re install. then wait an hour to cure, then try runnin her to see if she still leaks. just my 2 cents though.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by linwoodm
yeah but that isn't where it would leak. i am a veterin of cracking my VC. it would leak around the bolt where the pressure would cause a crack. there really isn't enough tourqe on aruond the plugs to cause a stress crack there, at least without causing one some place else first.
He said the whole center section if filling with oil. It could easily have ran down into the spark plug hole.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TIBOevo
smear a thin layer of rtv on the gasket and then re install. then wait an hour to cure, then try runnin her to see if she still leaks. just my 2 cents though.
never failed me in other engines {thumbup**
Old Dec 4, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

It's a tough one cause the reservoir is filling with oil. The first time I cleaned it out I pulled the coil packs and didn't see oil in any of the spark plug holes, Then again I'm not sure how closely I was looking. The second time I took off the valve cover I noticed oil in the first plug's hole. the thing is these coil packs have a rubber lip that fits over the valve cover's lip that surrounds the spark plug hole. I find it pretty hard to believe the oil in the reserviour could even get down into where the plugs are at. I'll let you guys know how everything turns out when I get these plug gaskets. Hopefully that'll do the job.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Oil in the spark plug gallery usually means the filler cap is leaking. Try a new gasket on the cap.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 08:06 PM

Replace the valve cover gasket and the cap gasket. Add a small amount of silicone sealant in the corners of each outer cam bearing cap. Torque in the sequence in the manual to the recommended torque. Done.

Todd
Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have the torque sequence TurboTod speaks about?

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Oil Leak