Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which Clutch?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=3.2+fidanza
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

have a clutchmasters stage 3 and fidanza flywheel. pedal feels close to stock, yet it holds real well. i use mine as a DD and even with ankle problems i can drive this car no problem. smooth engagement and takes my abuse at the track. suggest looking into it if you dont want ACT but cant afford exedy. gl with the purchase!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
F3.2 - feels like stock, grabs like no other. Replaced my ACT HDSS, which lasted 72,000mi (AXing, Tracking, DD).
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JKD
I was in similar shoes. I just recently put an ACT HDSS in the car. It is noiser than stock, but the driveability is excellent. This is by FAR the mildest manored clutch I've ever owned before. I can honestly say it drives exactly like stock.
Agree 110%.

Not to get off topic, but what kind of noises are you experiencing? I get a very specific grinding/chattery noise around 2000RPM. Double checked everything and the install was definitely done properly.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:04 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by derekste
Agree 110%.

Not to get off topic, but what kind of noises are you experiencing? I get a very specific grinding/chattery noise around 2000RPM. Double checked everything and the install was definitely done properly.
The noises I am hearing are typical decelleration noises. The noises aren't that bad but can be highly annoying. From my research I've discovered that these noises seem to be "the nature of the beast" from ACT clutches.

Other than the minor decelleration noises, the only other noise I have is this horrible whirling noise on cold starts when temperatures are very low. After idling for 2-3 minutes the noise completely resides.

Other than the noises, I'm pleased with the way the clutch drives. So far, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for more holding power with great streetability.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JKD
The noises I am hearing are typical decelleration noises. The noises aren't that bad but can be highly annoying. From my research I've discovered that these noises seem to be "the nature of the beast" from ACT clutches.

Other than the minor decelleration noises, the only other noise I have is this horrible whirling noise on cold starts when temperatures are very low. After idling for 2-3 minutes the noise completely resides.

Other than the noises, I'm pleased with the way the clutch drives. So far, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for more holding power with great streetability.
I think I had the whirling noise happen once during the first cold snap, but hasn't happened since. Maybe we are having the same decelleration noise, but who knows.

ACT HDSS is a great option... I was able to get a HD pressure plate for $200 and the SS street disc for $150 from a vendor on here... hard to argue with a $350 clutch that performs so well.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's for a street car that will be around 400whp I'd go with the ACT HDSS.

It really depends on your budget as the twin disc setups can be very costly and pretty expensive to rebuild, but if your plans are fairly modest which they seem to be I'd go with the ACT.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Street car, 400 hp, ACT HDSS. Exedy Twin is a great clutch but that is a little overkill and the ACT is way cheaper.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

clutch masters stage 3 is perfect with a clutch masters flywheel IMP
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

I've had both exedy twin disc and act hdss. The twin is a great clutch!
So is the ACT. I can tell you if you daily drive your car and have any kind of commute (traffic) I would go with the ACT. It's not that the pedal is heavy. The twin disc is grabby and feather it all the time sucks.

I had the twin disc for 4 years. From stock all the way to 400whp. It was great too me. 60k miles. For me, I stopped racing a lot after 2 years of owning it. I didn't need a super duper clutch for everyday. I have the ACT now and it does its job. I can still chirp tires and all.

With the twin disc, however, your shifting will be lightning quick.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He went with the ACT.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:11 AM

good choice