Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

After 2.5yrs car is running!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After 2.5yrs car is running!!

I cant believe it. I drove it for the first time in 2.5 years. I completed the engine installation a few hours ago. It needed a new battery. I just threw it in and it started!! I had to drive it around the block. 'Course I had to put the front tires on and lower the car off the jacks (been on them since April 2006...oh, and the car is an 05 evo8 with 20k miles)

I have been building this engine for almost 3 months now. I started with an AMS shortblock 2.0L and put it together myself. Installed the engine and tranny myself...no help (this was a learning experience)

Mod list

AMS 2.0L
Stock turbo
APS BOV
Cosworth head
Jun 264 in/ex
Fidanza cam gears
Cusco twin disk
780cc inj
Walbro 255
AEM EMS (speed density)
JIC DP and exhaust
Test pipe

Is that all $11k looks like?

The tune needs to be redone for the AEM. It runs super rich. I only drove it around the block. It wasnt tuned for the 780's, Walbro or the cams as the previous engine was stock.

This is the first time I have ever built an engine up and installed it myself.

Thanks so much to AMS for the motor and head. I cant wait to get it tuned.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:33 PM

congrats! Have fun with it
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats. Looks like your gonna have alot of fun with it!
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

you'll appreciate it that much more now that you built it yourself. You now have intimate knowledge of your ride!
Old Dec 13, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

It was very intimidating at first. I kinda psyched myself out for the first year even though I disassembled it myself. I bagged and tagged everything and in the end, it went together so smoothly. I kick myself in the butt for wasting time.

All told, once I recieved the shortblock, it was about 3 months for me to get it together. Every nut and bolt torqued to factory spec ( well 99% of the nuts and bolts..there are a few you just cant get a torque wrench on.)

I just wish I knew how to tune my AEM. I guess its time to start learning.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

wow man, congrats on the build. i wish i had had the time and the money to do something like this, great way to learn about you car and +1 on the appreciating it even more. sounds like a great time. enjoy your "new" car! gl with the tune
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Dude, you should have been learning for the past 2 years! J/K!!

Congrats on getting her running again! I know how it feels the first time I drive her after the long cold winter. I couldn't imagine 2+ years. . .

Get her a tune and have some fun!
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thank god for the CTS-V. It satisfied my need for HP.

Part of my prob was I had two jobs for 2 years. So I never had time. 60-70 hours a week for two years straight....ugh. But its how I got the cash to fix my car. I also collected all those parts over that time frame. I even bought a 2.1L destroker but sold it w/o installing because I didnt like the motor. I am also still sitting on the stock block with a set of BR JE pistons and some Carrillo rods. I kinda went back and forth on what I was planning to do with it. Finally I decided the best option was to buy the AMS shortblock, find my nuts and put it together myself.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on getting the car running again and doing the work yourself!

Why the AEM? The stock ECU makes a lot more sense for your level of build. My car is running perfect on the stock ECU, with a 2.3L and bigger turbo.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

You gotta remember 2.5 years ago no one could get the stock ecu to handle Jun cams. So that was my driving factor. Also...you do get more control with the AEM and I dont ever have to worry about what mod course I decide to take in the future.

Although for emissions reasons it would be nice to have the stock ECU. I may reinstall it and have it tuned at some point just to see what the difference really is. I am thinking of running E85. But that entails me getting larger injectors. That may be my next move. Plus, I truly want to max out the stock turbo. I see a FMIC and a LICP/UICP in my future.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
congrats
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow 2.5 years is a loooong time. Congrats on getting it back together
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would put the stock ECU back in, and keep the AEM just incase.

I don't think that AEM offers anymore control, the stock ECU is amazing with the work going on in the ECUflash area. Day to day it's going to run much better on the stock ECU.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

It must feel awesome; I am going on a year and a half not driving mine. Congrats with the project.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2
I would put the stock ECU back in, and keep the AEM just incase.

I don't think that AEM offers anymore control, the stock ECU is amazing with the work going on in the ECUflash area. Day to day it's going to run much better on the stock ECU.
Its all in the tuner really. I had it tuned this afternoon. We went really conservative on getting it going as the gas was 2.5 years old. I burned that out of the tank tonight. Plus with it being a new motor, I am not about to rev to full RPM's and boost.

I swear it drives smooth. Part throttle response is instantaneous, off throttle gives no bucking. It still bucks a little around 1200-1500 rpm with very slight throttle. But oncce again, the tune is not done. Oh..and cold start is great. It is being tuned by a pro, not by me.

Before the motor blew (which I still believe to be the fault of the stock pump) The AEM ran better than the stock ECU. Plus I get the added benefit of being able to run speed density. I am happy with the AEM with one exception. Emissions. This is where the stock ECU is a blessing.