Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I think my clutch might be starting to slip :(

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my clutch might be starting to slip :(

I'm pretty depressed about it.

I had just instaled my JMFab o2 dump a week ago. I've had no issues with it what so ever. It held boost perfectly fine and right where it used to with the stock o2 housing. I didn't have to adjust boost at all.

Now, I noticed my clutch feeling odd today on the highway for just a moment. I went to pass a car and got on it, maybe 70% throttle in 5th gear and what would have been 15psi, it felt like the car overboosted like crazy and the rpms jumped. I tried this again and tried to watch my boost gauge thinking it may be an issue with the o2 dump. This odd lurch had only happened one other time out of my numerous attempts to make the clutch slip. And from what I understand, the clutch is going to slip more in higher gears due to greater engine load.

I tried again to do many many hard 4th or 5th gear pulls. My MBC is set at 23.5psi (dynosheet) but my gauge usually reads 24psi. Down low in first and second gear, I spike 24psi and as the rpms climb I tapers to about 21 or 22psi. I think that has always happened. The clutch holds and feels perfectly normal in the lower gears. 4th gear it holds pretty well and I don't feel any clutch slippage. 5th gear I was spiking and holding 26psi. Once I would start to reach I'd say 4500rpms, the car would feel like it really it would start to pulls hard and I'd notive my boost nearing 26-27psi. On the one pull, I started to smell clutch, but I didn't actually "feel" it slip this time. If it wasn't the clutch, then I'm not sure what it may have been. This only happened on one of the pulls.

Besides, why would a slipping clutch affect boost? Unless my o2 dump is affecting the boost, which is in turn affecting the clutch.

Before I plundge into buying a clutch, I want make sure that's the issue. I would LOVE for it not to be. I'm thinking the cold weather, along without having a tune for my o2 dump may be the issue, hopfully.

Any help or suggestions are appriciated.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
when my clutch started to get bad the rpm would jump up any time i attempted to accelerate in 5th gear. I barely give it any throttle. I had to drive it like a granny.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

So, now I'm utterly confused. I just went out to mess with this some more, and nothing. Didn't come back with a damn thing. The car drove 100% perfect. I tried 5th gear pulls from 35mph... no slip. 5th gear pulls from 65mph, no slip. I even stayed in it to see if any slip would occur at high RPMs in 5th, no slip. 1st gear pulls, 2nd gear pulls, 3rd and 4th gear pulls. Nothing. Also my boost was being more consistant this time around too. 5th gear pulls I was only spiking to 25psi, and as I held 5th gear it would taper to only 23.5ish. It wasn't kind of bouncing around between 25-26psi like earilier in the high RPMs in 5th gear.

I can say one thing about the JMFab dump. This thing PULLS even without a tune.

I don't understand what was going on earlier today. Is it possible to clutch may still be slipping I just caught it at a VERY early stage?

I also thought about the smell. I have an APR splitter. I do have a hole cut for the dump, and not only that but the dump sticks about a 1/2" past the splitter. I thought maybe the smell might have been hot carbon fiber. I doubt it though.

And I'm not even sure the RPMs were jumping when the car "lurched". The wastegate had got suddenly really loud then closed back to normal but I'm not sure the RPMs actually jumped. It makes me thinking the car tried to overboost and the flapper flew open trying to bring the boost down and that's why the car lurched. And of course, when that happeend I wasn't looking at my RPMs or boost gauge. And I tried to do it again several times and couldn't do it.

I'm annoyed.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Jan 1, 2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mt057
when my clutch started to get bad the rpm would jump up any time i attempted to accelerate in 5th gear. I barely give it any throttle. I had to drive it like a granny.
Exactly, I'd think it'd be anytime. I just went out and drove the f*** out of this thing, and did many many hard pulls in 5th, and nothing. Low speed pulls, medium speed pulls, high speed pulls.... no slip and no smell.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Jan 1, 2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When I would attempt wot in 5th my rpm would jump like I was in neutral. what type of boost control are you using?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mt057
When I would attempt wot in 5th my rpm would jump like I was in neutral. what type of boost control are you using?

Hallman MBC. I've never had any sort of issue like this until today.

And for the record. I have no idea what kind of clutch is in my car. I bought it used with 61k on it. I'm at 77k now with over 300whp. If it was stock, it would have been long gone by now. I pulled off the little rubber groumet on the bell housing and peaked in, and the pressure plate is silver. I'm thinking it's an aftermerket Exedy stage 1 or something.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Jan 1, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone else?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

NOOOObody?

I'm in the trying to decide whether I want to upgrade to a BBK Lite, or save for a clutch. I'm not sure I NEED the clutch though. I'm sure if what I mentioned are signs of the clutch going bad.

I tried a test a friend told me to try. Basically a clutch kick in 5th gear at around 40mph. If the RPM's hang, then the clutch is on it's way out. Well, I tried it, the RPM's hung for about half a second and dropped. The car bucked and stumbled, which is a good thing. But it was the fact that the RPM's hung for a good half second. Is that anything to worry about? I'm thinking I may still have the restrictor pill in, causing the slight slip.

Under HARD load, up hill, 5th gear 45mph, the clutch will not slip under WOT.

I'm only having wierd issues at 5th gear with boost spiking to 29psi at times. It'll creep and taper down all in the same pull. Bounce from 25-26psi in higher RPM's of 5th gear. And 5th gear is the only gear that weird stuff happens.

I really want a BBK, but I don't want one if it's just going to kill my clutch!

It's like my past post, thinking my headgasket was bad because I have water in my catch can. Well, it's fine. I just need people to tell me I'm dumb and everything is fine. I'm that kind of guy
Old Jan 6, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

If the clutch was going bad it would slip no matter what gear your in. My buddys car would slip in 5th gear going 20 mph with half throttle. If you can seriously jump in your car right now and put it in first gear and floor it and it pulls hard and doesnt slip then that doesnt seems like a bad clutch.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

True. I would think it's it's JUST starting to go bad, it'd only be noticable in 5th gear. I know I'm probably over analizing this. I'm just wierd.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
True. I would think it's it's JUST starting to go bad, it'd only be noticable in 5th gear. I know I'm probably over analizing this. I'm just wierd.
Same thing happened to me with the stocker at about 50k miles. Just replace it when you have the money and baby it in 5th.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 04:04 PM
Account Disabled

Odd, sounds like some type of boost creep. Don't know. I just installed the same dump. Hopefully I don't have any issues with it.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 04:05 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

I pretty much had the same problem when I made the switch from pump gas to E85 + EPM 02 dump. I managed to get it to slip somewhat on the highway, but it seems nonexistant right now and its been a few months already since I made the switch. My stock clutch won't hold out for too long I think with these power levels, so I'm saving up in the meantime.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its just a matter of the effective torque placed on the clutch at any one time.

Anyone thats ridden on a 10 speed knows its way easier to push the pedals down in the first gear than the last one. The same thing is happening to your clutch when you ask it to grip in higher gears, more torque is required to move the car.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock clutch can last a long time if driven right. I was just at cbrd today and they told me charlie (keronic) is on his stock clutch. He has 414whp on their dyno. They said he never launched it though, still that is good.

Quick Reply: I think my clutch might be starting to slip :(