Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Project Hush (Quietest 3" Exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Project Hush (Quietest 3" Exhaust)

First of all, I mean no disrespect to Buschur Racing for modifying their exhaust. I chose their exhaust for my project because of their excellent V-band clamp and the center bullet option exhaust system. I also wanted to keep it a full V band system and thats including the downpipe.

Well some of you might have read my previous threads/posts in wanting the most quietest exhaust ever. This thread is my project on trying to achieve my goal, while keeping the exhaust a complete 3" straight flow through system with no cat.

Components:
-Buschur V-band TBE with center Bullet muffler
-Vibrant 3" inlet widebody muffler

The plan is to weld the Vibrant muffler at the rear of the car, so the end result will be an exhaust system with 2 mufflers. The Buschur Bullet near downpipe and the Vibrant at the rear. Hopefully this will satisfy me with my search for being quiet at normal driving and WOT at the same time keeping it a straight flow through with no tapers.

I chose not to run the buschur magnaflow muffler in the rear because in my opinion a widebody muffler will quiet more than a round muffler. (in most cases)

I havent installed it yet, but I will update this thread as I progress with installation and modification with more pics and possibly sound/video clip.

Here are the pics:

Buschur TBE

Buschur and Vibrant Parallel

Buschur and Vibrant Layover

*********************New Addition***********************
PPI Swain coated Megan o2 housing

Also my friend is a Mechanic for Ford/Subaru/Mazda so he was able to get me some OEM gaskets for the o2 housing. Since the Buschur downpipe flange is a flat surface and donut gaskets cant be used, I will probably use either the middle or the right gasket. We're thinking of probably using the middle copper gasket.

*********************Finished the welding and installed*****************

Pics were taken with my friends cell phone. So there are not the best quality but they arent bad either.

The tip compared to the bumper. But as the exhaust warms up it sticks out a little bit more. It should keep the bumper cleaner :-D

Side under shot

Back from bottom angle.

Midpipe Muffler connection.

Side view from under.

Bullet Muffler in the center.

Well where shall I begin. This exhaust system is actually a little different i comparison to what I have ran previously because I have an o2 housing now. My friend forgot the gaskets at his house, so we ended up re-using a 2.5 inch gasket from the stock exhaust that I made using Percy's Carbon gasket sheets. Its holding up for now, maybe in the future I might change it to the above gaskets.

Sound:
The Buschur Bullet+Vibrant+o2 housing combination seems to be the same loudness as the cobb exhaust+stock o2 housing. Inside the cabin the idle is pretty much close to stock. Normal driving you can hear the exhaust in a form of a very mellow deep tone. On the highway there arent any drones, and the exhaust note is very low key and on the stock stereo I was able to enjoy the music at a volume level set to 23.

I was aming for a stock exhaust sound, but it cant really be mistaken for stock. Whats interesting though is if you stand in front of the car you would think its stock. But if you walk behind and stand near the exhaust tip, the deep tone kind of gives it away that its not stock. I need to give it some more mileage in order for the exhaust to "break in" especially the sound deadening material in the mufflers. Some times exhausts might get slightly louder after it sets in or it might get quieter...

During WOT the exhaust is not that loud but can be heard insid the cabin. I can also hear the turbo sucking in the air to give you an idea that its not that loud. I dont know how it sounds as a fly-by or outside POV but I'll get to that in the near future.

The V band clamp flanges are a beautiful thing to have. Everything ligned up with no worries of having sealing issues or bad gaskets. I did however end up cutting out the heatshield for the stock catalytic converter location. I wasnt thinking and didnt realize the Bullet muffler is designed at a very slight angle that if I turned it I would have gained more clearance. Oh well, now I have even more clearance.

I will get some sound clips in a week or so. Hopefully it will capture the exact sound note and loudness.

I'm a little tired right now. If you guys have any questions or if there is something I missed that you guys want more info on, let me know and I'll update with the answers.

PS
I had to adjust my Perrin MBC because with the free flowing system I started boosting 23 psi and held around that much to 6k when I hit fuel cut. I'm going to lower it back to 20 psi since I'm on stock tune right now and no wideband. Next week end I'll put on my Greddy Profec B Spec II.

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Feb 1, 2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:55 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
The buschur 'quiet' is actually very quiet from the cabin, and not too bad outside. IMHO, the quiet muffler w/ a bullet testpipe would be the best way to go. That vibrant muffler is going to look silly under the back of your car, imho. Still, do it and post results.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
The buschur 'quiet' is actually very quiet from the cabin, and not too bad outside. IMHO, the quiet muffler w/ a bullet testpipe would be the best way to go. That vibrant muffler is going to look silly under the back of your car, imho. Still, do it and post results.
This would be quieter than the "Buschur quiet" because widebody mufflers have more sound deadening packing material space than round mufflers.

Also I dont think it will look silly because judging by the angles, it will look similar to the cobb exhaust. The cobb muffler was also at an angle as the tip curved to point straight from the rear. And it looked perfectly fine looking at it from the rear.

Here is a picture of my previous cobb exhaust:

Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not just use both mufflers? Two mufflers should mean twice as muffled no?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

^^ I think that's what he's doing
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ripnbst
Why not just use both mufflers? Two mufflers should mean twice as muffled no?
I am using both mufflers. The buschur at the center of the car (where the cat is) and the vibrant will be at the rear.

Originally Posted by Lumpskie
^^ I think that's what he's doing
Exactly
Old Jan 15, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The Buschur magnaflow system is very quiet on a stockish turbo car, and sounds very nice. Put a turbokit on it and its loud as hell. Though full kits generally make these cars loud anyways.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can just save yourself the time, and get a Fujitsubo RM01.
Sounds like stock........until you get on it.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

have u heard of a resonator? i guess ur using the same principle...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by h22gordo
You can just save yourself the time, and get a Fujitsubo RM01.
Sounds like stock........until you get on it.
The Fujitsubo RM01 also tapers inside the muffler. I'm trying to make an exhaust system as quiet as possible while making it a complete 3" straight flow through system. I dont want any tapers what so ever.

I have owned 3 other exhaust systems prior to this.
Tanabe Madalion (tapers inside muffler)
RRE Stealth (full 3")
Cobb Turbo back (full 3")
Jun BL (loud but a beautifully constructed peice)
I have done a lot of homework and I have personal experience with many different setups.

Originally Posted by dsmbruno
have u heard of a resonator? i guess ur using the same principle...
Yes. But resonators dont quiet an exhaust system as much as I want. The buschur bullet muffler is basically a resonator if you think about it, but in this case its larger in diamter. Larger in diameter also means that it has more space for sound deadening packing material. And the Wide body mufflers have even more space than most round mufflers resulting in more sound sound supression.

The material type and packing density also play an effect on reducing noise. But in the end a straight flow through resonator will not make any drastic sound changes that is with in my expectations.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

BluEvoIX -- Sounds like a great test. One thing you may want to ensure is the tip is angled (cut) as that will eliminate most [if not all] of the drone. Have you cut open a stock muffler -- it may give you some ideas...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

There's always the RoadRace Engineering "Stealth" catback. It's got two resonators PLUS a monster straight-thru Magnaflow muffler. Probably the quietest catback you can buy, yet doesn't restrict flow like some of the other quiet exhausts.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cij911
BluEvoIX -- Sounds like a great test. One thing you may want to ensure is the tip is angled (cut) as that will eliminate most [if not all] of the drone. Have you cut open a stock muffler -- it may give you some ideas...
Well the buschur tip is cut at an angle. But regardless even if its not angled this setup will not drone, I'm well convinced on that part.

Originally Posted by JKav
There's always the RoadRace Engineering "Stealth" catback. It's got two resonators PLUS a monster straight-thru Magnaflow muffler. Probably the quietest catback you can buy, yet doesn't restrict flow like some of the other quiet exhausts.
I've had that exhaust already. The Cobb was slightly quieter than the RRE.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:03 PM
Account Disabled

good luck with your project. It's always nice to see something different.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much did that testpipe cost if you don't mind me asking? Wonder what it would cost to have flanges on it instead.

Quick Reply: Project Hush (Quietest 3" Exhaust)