Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

stock turbo redhot

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robogast
well im wondering about that because i keep back firing every now and then. Mostly when the car is cold and warming up. But im getting it tuned next week. well thats if my turbo doesnt blow up/fallapart and get sucked into my engine
usually when backfiring that means your running rich...that guy has a good point about the cat if you still have it on the car
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

No cat its just a test pipe. I could check it this weekend if it is clogged some other way.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
ya could be running lean as hell, and thats driving your exhaust gas temp WAY up
+1
Usually if its glowing then your way lean... not good.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah but it backfires. so i assume im running rich. that and im getting 13 mpg
Old Jan 22, 2009, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

would a vacuum line being loose cause the air/fuel mixture to lean out? Because my idle moves up and down between 1k and about 1400 or 1500. I had to replace a rubber cap on one of the vacuum sensors that had blown off and it caused the idle to be like it is.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
..... my turbo was glowing red. I was wondering if this was normal after average daily driving..... But i want to find out if it is normal.....
What is average and normal for you? Compared to what, dude? Try cooling the turbo down for about two miles before you shut the motor off. Drive it gently, off boost at about 2500 RPM for a couple miles before you pull into your driveway. Otherwise you will coke the bearings. Duh!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Watch this video if you really want to be scared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1qQUe3nqaE

Last edited by ak47po; Jan 22, 2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah but it backfires. so i assume im running rich. that and im getting 13 mpg
you're sure it's not afterfire? afterfire is basically the same as backfire except it occurs under lean conditions

make sure all the coolant/oil lines going to it are flowing properly
Old Jan 23, 2009, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's normal for a turbo to be glowing after being driven hard... I've seen mine glow (turbo and the part of the ex.manifold that connects to the turbo) after driving hard and then stopping and popping the hood. It happens, but if you really did what you wrote and "drove normally", then no, it's not normal.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Toxin
I think it's normal for a turbo to be glowing after being driven hard... I've seen mine glow (turbo and the part of the ex.manifold that connects to the turbo) after driving hard and then stopping and popping the hood. It happens, but if you really did what you wrote and "drove normally", then no, it's not normal.
Absolutely right. I've seen mine glowing plenty of times. On road trips especially, when going like 70-80 for an hour or two, I've seen it glowing. Or right after a hard 5-10 min drive at night. The only difference is you can see it at night. Perfectly normal, just let it cool down. It's really hot metal/cast iron, it's going to glow like that.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

If you are getting 13MPG, you are running rich as hell. A ton of unburnt fuel is going into the header and auto-igniting in the header/turbine housing causing the header to glow.

Since you said you are getting tuned next week, a mod list would be a good thing to post....just want to make sure you're not a retard and running 1000cc injectors on a stock tune or something stupid like that.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
What is average and normal for you? Compared to what, dude? Try cooling the turbo down for about two miles before you shut the motor off. Drive it gently, off boost at about 2500 RPM for a couple miles before you pull into your driveway. Otherwise you will coke the bearings. Duh!
Well dude, Normal driving is coming home from work and not going above 4K rpms the whole drive. Sooo the two to three miles that your talking about is what seems to be the same as my daily drive home. Which i would assume that the turbo is getting way to hot for just normal driving. Oh and i have a turbo timer, you know to let the car idle for a couple of minutes to let the turbo cool down. I have always had one on my car. Duh!
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SloRice
If you are getting 13MPG, you are running rich as hell. A ton of unburnt fuel is going into the header and auto-igniting in the header/turbine housing causing the header to glow.

Since you said you are getting tuned next week, a mod list would be a good thing to post....just want to make sure you're not a retard and running 1000cc injectors on a stock tune or something stupid like that.
Mod list is in my signature and i have a stock turbo and stock injectors and dynoflash ecu flash. Im getting an aem ems installed next week.

Last edited by robogast; Jan 23, 2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Floyd is Pink
you're sure it's not afterfire? afterfire is basically the same as backfire except it occurs under lean conditions

make sure all the coolant/oil lines going to it are flowing properly
I guess it could be that too. Im not sure really. Ive never had this happen before. But i was thinking about checking my wastegate to see if it is stuck closed or something. That and check my exhaust to see if it has any obstructions. And hook a scanner up to it to see if i have any codes that might have a factor in this.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ak47po
Watch this video if you really want to be scared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1qQUe3nqaE
Yeah, thats what it looks like only i wasnt driving my car even close to that. I was just crusing basically. bad *** motor though. haha

Quick Reply: stock turbo redhot