Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMSOIL MTG Transmission Oil

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMSOIL MTG Transmission Oil

Have any of you guys used this? Just put this in my Evo VIII yesterday, feels pretty smooth so far, any idea on it's longevity, how many miles I can go before I have to replace it.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (MTG) is a premium blend of the finest synthetic base oils and advanced, high-performance additives. It is formulated specifically for maximum protection in the most demanding manual transmission and transaxle applications where an extreme pressure GL-4 gear lube is specified, including those where high horsepower/high torque engines and towing or heavy loads increase transmission stress.

AMSOIL MTG prevents the thinning effects of mechanical shear. It maintains its viscosity and superior film strength for consistent, long-lasting wear protection. MTG excels in hot and cold temperature extremes that exceed the limits of conventional mineral oils. It protects against rust, keeps seals soft for long life, and is compatible with brass synchros for smooth synchromesh shift quality.

Ideal for NV-4500 Transmissions
MTG is a thermally stable, extreme pressure formulation that resists heat, oxidation, acid build-up and varnish. It is the ideal gear lube for high temperature applications, including the New Venture NV-4500 transmission, which retains heat due to its cast iron housing and is often subjected to heavy loads and high torque from turbo-diesel engines.

AMSOIL MTG is the replacement fluid for GM part #12346190 and Chrysler part #4874459 (Chrysler specification #MS-9070).

Ideal for Muscle Car Transmissions
The extreme pressure design of MTG reduces friction, heat and wear. It withstands the high horsepower and quick shifts common to muscle cars equipped with large-displacement engines.

Ideal for Front Wheel Drive Transaxles
The advanced synthetic formulation provides ultimate protection for gears and bearings in front wheel drive transaxles.

Excellent for Service Centers
MTG is a versatile transmission and transaxle lubricant. It reduces inventory needs, is readily available and is cost effective compared to vehicle OEM-branded products.

Performance Features

• Reduces friction, heat and wear
• Superior high temperature stability
• Resists heat, oxidation, acid build-up and varnish
• Lasts two times longer than conventional petroleum oils
• Improves cold weather shifting

Applications
Recommended for synchronized manual transmissions and transaxles that require 75W-85, 75W-90 or 80W-90 viscosities and any of the following performance specifications: API GL-4 and MT-1, ZF TE-ML 02B, 16A, 17A and 19A, Chrysler MS-9070, MAN 341 ML. Recommended for use in NV 4500 transmissions, and replaces GM part #12346190 and Chrysler part #4874459.

Meets GL-4 performance specifications required by some models of Acura, Hyundai, Infiniti, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Volkswagen, Hino Mitsubishi-Fuso, and Zetor. Ideal for muscle car transmissions such as Muncie, Borg Warner, Saginaw, Ford Toploader, Dearborn and New Process. Also recommended for Gear Vendors Gear Splitters.

Service Life
Under normal operating conditions AMSOIL MTG will last two times longer than conventional petroleum GL-4 gear oils. Where the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) recommends synthetic oils, follow the OEM drain interval (such as NV 4500).

Old Feb 3, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, many here use it. I run it for about 15-20k before changing it again.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

I just put this in my car maybe a week or 2 ago. TO ME..it seems like its not as smooth as what was in it, which was the stock fluid. It COULD just be the cold weather, but thats my observation so far.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use it. It is a little notchy in the cold but is great once it warms up. I only noticed the slight notchyness after it got below like 45º ambient. It warms up in about 5 minutes.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:46 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very good oil. i usto be an oem junky even thoghh i sell amsoil once used it in the tranny . very smooth shifting during cold starts no more waiting for operatin temp to get the smooth shifting.

100% synthetics this oil can run for over 60k however i am so picky that i will drain every 5k plus i drive very hard
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

I also drive really hard, had penzoil synchromesh in their before, and it died on me in just a few thousand miles. Hopefully this stuff last longer.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Amsoil in my engine, trany, tc, and diff.

Never going back to anything else. My evo ran a lot smoother after I switched to Amsoil. I even use it in my wifes van now.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:19 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm going to try amsoil next time. I'm not 100% happy with the way my tranny shifts with redline lightweight shockproof. We'll see how the difference is.

BTW, I'll always use diaqueen in the tc / rear diff. Works great... those parts cost too much to tamper with anything else.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used penzoil syncromesh and it worked ok for a few thousand miles then it just didn't like to shift. I have been using Amsoil on mine and a lot of customer clutch jobs I have done and they all have shifted noticeably smoother even on cold temps.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have had it for 15,000 miles and it is a bit notchy when cold but shifts like butter when warm!
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

I run mtg in the tans and svg in the transfer case and rear.

I got the car with a bad clutch. soo bad the car wouldn't move in any gear. not budge at all, i mean shot. So I never drove it obviously. I put in an act prolite flywheel and a hdss clutch and changed all my fluids. Shifting is notchy at times even though I turned the clutch master cylinder rod out as far as it could go with out blocking up the reservoir. Not sure what to contribute the nothciness to but I need to mess with the adjustment and I want to install a ss clutch line and get rid of the rubber and pill.

Also, who's using Motul pa90 and gear 300??
Old Feb 3, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Had the Amsoil in my car now for one day and I can honestly say there's a noticable difference compared to the Penzoil crap I was using before. Does take a while to warm up, even in this 60°F weather we're having here in Colorado, but once it's warm it shift like butter.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 02:54 PM

im curious about this to
Old Feb 3, 2009, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

I substituted OEM tranny fluid for Amsoil MTG 6,000 miles ago. Very happy with results. Smooth shifting even in cold weather, granted winter in Philly is usually benign
Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

how much does this stuff cost? and how many bottles would i need? amsoil that is

Quick Reply: AMSOIL MTG Transmission Oil