Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy twin plate installed.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2003, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy twin plate installed.

I'm babying the car for the next 1000 miles, so I can't really attest to it's gripping power yet (though off the line and slipping gently into it feels VERY good).

Just to confirm what the others are saying, the throw out bearing rattle is pretty significant when the clutch is depressed. it's because, for lack of a better technical explanation, it spins freely in the pressure plate where the stock TOB / PP did not.

Also, hopefully this will save some of you some prep time:

a) Coolant runs through the transfer case, so go ahead and drain your radiator and have more anti-freeze in advance. This is not the case on the AWD DSM's I've seen.

b) The "ring" which rides underneath the TOB that comes with the Exedy unit does NOT hold the TOB in place. Three times trying to put the tranny back on and that thing popped out. More curse words I've never heard before in my life. Ended up going back to the stock ring which worked excellent.

c) It took 4 guys total to hold the tranny up and guide it in place comfortably. You could do it with 3, or with proper equipment as well.

I've got pictures of the stock crap; I'd been launching at 6-7k on my stock unit which was holding up fine (but developing a slight chatter at take off). I'll be posting pics on my website (in sig) soon.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Pics of the stock unit after only 5k miles on my website under the "Replaced Parts" section. It was starting to chatter a lot; you can see the blue warp marks on the flywheel.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sahmto3/evo/
Old Sep 18, 2003, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice setup. As I get more serious about building the internals and drivetrain, I am going to follow your example as far as headbolts, cams, cam gears, clutch, etc. go. Nice work.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 04:36 AM
Account Disabled

Looks good man!
Old Sep 20, 2003, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Can you tell me if the drivetrain shudders when you engage it at slow speeds.. How bad is the chatter upon engagement? I'm really interested in the clutch so if you can give me some info on this I'd appreciate it...
Old Sep 20, 2003, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Bumpity bump...
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Jonasan50
Can you tell me if the drivetrain shudders when you engage it at slow speeds.. How bad is the chatter upon engagement? I'm really interested in the clutch so if you can give me some info on this I'd appreciate it...
My stock one was really starting to chatter at low rpm slow engagements; this one does to some extent but not bad at all. On full engagement, I don't get any chatter.

It is a noisy clutch; the throw out bearing rattles a lot - especially on deceleration. Personally, I've never been one to care about how a performance car sounds. My car lopes at idle, is loud due to the 3" exhaust and now rattles audibly due to the clutch - and I could care less. I'm too busy having a lot of fun.

If you're the sensitive type, look into a nice single plate system. I hear ACT has something available now.