Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam Damage! - PICS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Damn thats some crazy ****!!!!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow. thats huge damage.. lol. i wish you will get better cams.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone ever done a Rockwell Hardness Test on Evo specific cams?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

I had the same problem happen to my GSC 272 intake cam. I called Greg and he explained that I had an original set which were prone to this because the manufacturing company did not harden the metal correctly. He then replaced my set with S2's which he ensured were built correctly by a different manufacturer.

As for the S2's that tnt1106 posted that looks like a freak thing.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Will thanks god I saw this. I was just about to order me a set.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
I had the same problem happen to my GSC 272 intake cam. I called Greg and he explained that I had an original set which were prone to this because the manufacturing company did not harden the metal correctly. He then replaced my set with S2's which he ensured were built correctly by a different manufacturer.

As for the S2's that tnt1106 posted that looks like a freak thing.
How long have you been running your S2's ?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Something you guys need to pay attention to is the fact that this doesn't mean GSC makes bad cams. Read about all the positive stories. What about the few people on these boards who happen to get an evo that just won't run right, or have problems they just can't solve. Did that make you buy a different car? Most likely not or you wouldn't be on the board. Gremlins get in our cars, gremlins get in cams, gremlins get in peanut butter, gremlins get everywhere, it's not possible to have everything 100% perfect all the time. Greg did the right thing in replacing cams that are 4 years old. This is a very rare occurence based solely off the number of people that have the cams and post positive vs stories like this. Keep that in mind. No, I don't have GSC cams either, I just live in the real world
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:18 AM

I think the question that comes up is in the case of TNT1106, how much responsibility does GSC have in the situation? If the part can be shown to have failed due to improper manufacture, is GSC responsible for making it right, i.e repairing the damage that was caused by the faulty part? I understand that there are gremlins and sometimes people have bad luck, but if it is a chipped lobe with no other damage, sure they can replace the cams. If the cam breaks off, I am sure there is more damage than just the cam itself.

Last edited by krisiun; Feb 18, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by krisiun
I think the question that comes up is in the case of TNT1106, how much responsibility does GSC have in the situation? If the part can be shown to have failed due to improper manufacture, is GSC responsible for making it right, i.e repairing the damage that was caused by the faulty part? I understand that there are gremlins and sometimes people have bad luck, but if it is a shipped lobe with no other damage, sure they can replace the cams. If the cam breaks off, I am sure there is more damage than just the cam itself.
Very well put. That is what good customer service really comes down to. I feel that is a very REAL and valid question everyone in this thread should ask. Do they want to risk their: pistons, rods, valves, valve guides, head, cam gears, engine block, hood, valve cover, timing belt cover when installing a set of cams?

I will have more details soon to share with the EvoM community so they will not make the same mistake that I did.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GSC cam evolution (I think):

1) V1
2) V2
3) S1, S2, S3

So what gsc cams are more prone to break, V1 and V2's?

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Feb 18, 2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05blue8
Something you guys need to pay attention to is the fact that this doesn't mean GSC makes bad cams. Read about all the positive stories. What about the few people on these boards who happen to get an evo that just won't run right, or have problems they just can't solve. Did that make you buy a different car? Most likely not or you wouldn't be on the board. Gremlins get in our cars, gremlins get in cams, gremlins get in peanut butter, gremlins get everywhere, it's not possible to have everything 100% perfect all the time. Greg did the right thing in replacing cams that are 4 years old. This is a very rare occurence based solely off the number of people that have the cams and post positive vs stories like this. Keep that in mind. No, I don't have GSC cams either, I just live in the real world
You have a good point for sure, however with so many success stories from GSC and GSC cams in particular, it would seem to me that they would have no problems backing their "Quality" product when a "Gremlin" or anomaly like you are considering these failures to be occurs ( and they very well could be, I would think if this was a common problem they wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are, or maybe they are just very good at covering things up, I don't know). A failure like TNT1106 had is not a small problem by any means. You are talking completely trashing the head, pistons, at a minimum. 3,4 maybe 5000+ plus in damages.

I give them props for replacing the cams with minor defects, but with something as bad as this failure, they really need to step up to the plate. I understand this is performance application, and warnties etc are hard to enforce, and the term abuse is tossed around all the time however, I really do not see any way the forces could be generated to pop off the end of a cam with out a manufacturing or material defect, period.

Look closely at those pictures. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see there are sharp edges in the mivic oil groves..... which induces very high stress risers etc.... the story will unfold with the failure analysis and material testing.

Last edited by denver; Feb 18, 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The newer(say less than 1.5yrs old) don't seem to have any problems. The issue was resolved and they make great products that perform very well.

Even if there ever was to be an issue, their customer service from what I have seen is second to none.

When I had the problem, I called up Greg and within 2-3 days I had my replacement camshaft in hand.

This thread should not be scaring anyone off, they make great products and are a great company.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ExViTermini
The newer(say less than 1.5yrs old) don't seem to have any problems. The issue was resolved and they make great products that perform very well.

Even if there ever was to be an issue, their customer service from what I have seen is second to none.

When I had the problem, I called up Greg and within 2-3 days I had my replacement camshaft in hand.

This thread should not be scaring anyone off, they make great products and are a great company.
I was told my cams were machined in September of 2008.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Gremlins get in our cars, gremlins get in cams, gremlins get in peanut butter, gremlins get everywhere, it's not possible to have everything 100% perfect all the time.
A circle of salt around the car with candles on the outside will help keep the gremlins from entering.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

that makes my dick hurt

Quick Reply: Cam Damage! - PICS