Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing double pumpers.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Buschur Racing double pumpers.

Hello all.

I want to put some information out there.

Recently for some odd reason we have been seeing a lot of people using our double pumpers have a problem getting the cars to start when they initially put the pumps in. It is a priming issue. We have had the same problem here at the shop and it is new and I have no explanation for it.

The very odd part of it is if the pump assembly is removed from the car, submerged in fuel/solvent and the pumps are hit with 12v directly from a battery they prime instantly and are fine.

I have a few customers send their pump assemblies back in to us and I have simply done that and returned them to them and everything was fine.

I have a theory on this. The EVO runs the fuel pump at 9v up to about 2500 rpm. I have a feeling that for whatever reason that is not enough to get the pumps to prime. It is quite odd that it just started happening.

To completely eliminate this problem, on Friday, I built a tank, hose assembly and test harness. Now every single fuel pump will be run in solvent and primed before it leaves here. The pumps will not be drained. The double pumpers will come in a ziplock back to keep the solvent from leaking out all over when the are shipped. I feel this is a good step in just raising the bar a bit higher in the quality control area of our product and wanted to say something about it.

For an update of what we are using in the kits here it is:

Twin WALBRO, HP 255 pumps (we do not USE or SELL the China copy pumps)
30 micron fuel socks in the tank
All multi fuel compatible hose, safe for gasoline or E85.
Billet aluminum and brass fuel fittings on the fuel assembly top
SS high flow 3/8" wye connection
SS hose high pressure crimped hose clamps in the tank and on the wye assembly
SS high pressure clamps are included for the exterior connections
SS 10 micron fuel filter
Pressure switch that is sealed, includes sealed inline fuse and wiring to run to the secondary pump.
Fuel approved bulk head connector at the fuel pump assembly where the second pump wires pass through.

The kit is 100% complete and pre-wired other than your power/ground connections. All electrical connections are heat shrink type and sealed before the kit ships.

I don't even know how many hundred double pumpers we have out there but it is a rediculous amount. I am confident in saying we have more double pumpers on 9 second EVO's than any other fuel solution out there and I'm very proud of the reliability and ease of installation.

I am going to be working on a new system soon for guys making HUGE power or running out of fuel running E85. I want to switch back to E85 in my RS and I do not have enough fuel system to do that, I will shortly!

Also, if anyone has a wrecked EVO that they would be willing to sell me the plug and short section of wiring out of that goes to the stock fuel pump, I'd like to buy one, shoot me a PM, please.

Thanks for reading.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anxious to see your solution for the E85 user's!!!!!!!

Dan
Old Feb 21, 2009, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Got to love Buschur's dedication . That's why I run Buschur parts in my car
Old Feb 21, 2009, 06:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
nice to see you come up with a resolution for this issue

a+ for quality control
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

i have used your twin pumps on both cars with success?!! and hoping to run it one more time on my friends evo..

thanks for the info

Moosa
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Sweet, this means my double pumper should ship to me primed ready to install.
Thanks for the great service Buschur !!

(can you please ship out my D.pumper Monday so I can recieve it by Friday...lol )

Thanks again.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
There are 6 double pumpers leaving on Monday/Tuesday.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:13 PM

Nice post David we too are running your BR Double Pumper on E85 I would like to see, and will be anxiously waiting for what you got instore for us E85 guy's Thanks for the great product thumbs up to Buschur Racing : )
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

I love My Double Pumper!!!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Installed well over a dozen double pumpers with no issues... Also keep 2-3 on hand for the next customer who walks through the door that needs one.

Great Product David!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

being honest like Buschur in a situation like this says a lot about him and his company...this is something for Evo owners to remember... looking forward to read about your new E-85 products : )
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

You may need to contact Walbro tech about the compliance of their pumps with E85. From what I found out, that pump's internals are not ethanol friendly and their failure is imminent. Something to consider before making kits for E85 setups.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

interested in seeing E85 DP kit
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

if the problem with priming the pumps is infact due to the pumps only seeing 9v at idle wouldnt runing a 10ga wire straight from the battery to a relay that is activated by the stock wiring be the simplest solution? the pumps would get a full 12v at idle. and since the pumps would be powered straight from the batt with 10ga wire wouldnt they also get higher voltage/current at WOT?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 05:11 AM
Evolving Member

Never seen an issue before with having to prime the pumps, but I have only had experience with a few. Good to know your taking precautionary measures based on seeing occational issues that have come up with your double pumper kits needing it done.

Originally Posted by diambo4life
You may need to contact Walbro tech about the compliance of their pumps with E85. From what I found out, that pump's internals are not ethanol friendly and their failure is imminent. Something to consider before making kits for E85 setups.
Sorry to side track for just a second but nterestingly enough, there is more than a few people running Walbro twin pump setups in various applications who have yet to see any issues.

I know of cars reporting being on e85 for over a year now, hundreds of gallons, and quite a bit of miles with Walbro's off the shelf 255hp pumps. No problems.

Last edited by twkdcd595; Feb 23, 2009 at 05:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing double pumpers.