Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Competition Clutch Flywheel/Clutch Install on Evo IX RS

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Competition Clutch Flywheel/Clutch Install on Evo IX RS

I have an Evo IX RS at 30,000 miles and just had a Competition Clutch flywheel (part STU ultralight) and clutch (stage 4 six puck) installed. We used the TO bearing included in the CC kit. I used factory Mitsubishi Diaqueen 75W85 for the tranny, and Mitsubishi LSD gear oil for the transfer case and rear diff. I paid $700 for all the parts and $500 labor.

CC Stage 4 clutch kit:

CC Clutch #STU:

I had an Evo tuner and BMW certified tech install everything at a local shop. Everything in my car is now broken in after a week and about 400 miles. At first there was more clutch chatter at idle and noticable vibration in the pedal, however, this gradually went away. Now after break in there is no vibration in the clutch pedal, and the clutch chatter at idle is back to normal. The car drives great, and shifts/engages better than stock.

However, there is one noise that I can't seem to explain.

In first gear there is a loud resonating whine when accelerating from a stop. It almost sounds like a low volume car horn, like a resonating metal sound that's smooth, not grinding. Here's the thing, if I do a light launch with revs at 3k and slip the clutch a bit, then the noise goes away for a while. However, it does return later, and usually happens on a cold start up too.

It almost seems like the clutch and flywheel are making that noise once they engage as I slip into 1st gear from a stop, maybe the flywheel still has uneven surfaces that need to be broken in. Or maybe this is something normal for an aftermarket clutch/flywheel setup?

Overall though, the tranny shifts great while accelerating easy/hard, engages very well when downshifting, and holds power great. It's just this odd noise that I was wondering if anyone else has experienced.

Last edited by sleeper3; Mar 16, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

i just had a competition stage 4 6 puck clutch installed 2 weeks ago professionally by a well respected speed shop is this whats happening to your car? https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...need-help.html Click on video links

Last edited by Malik_EvoIX; Mar 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Mar 16, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Malik_EvoIX
i just had a competition stage 4 6 puck clutch installed 2 weeks ago professionally by a well respected speed shop is this whats happening to your car? https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...need-help.html Click on video links
Dude, I have the EXACT same noise. Sounds like an elephant moaning, like a resonance. Your second vid from inside the car sounds EXACTLY like mine does when starting in 1st gear.

Only happens when accelerating in 1st from a dead stop. It goes away if I do a mild launch with clutch slip, but returns later. Or if I slip the clutch quickly and at the right time it won't make the noise. Only difference from your setup is I also put in a Competition Clutch ultralight flywheel (part# STU) along with the stage 4 six puck clutch.

I called Competition Clutch directly a few hours ago and the tech said the sound was normal and I should break it in more. I have 400 miles and 8 days, I'll keep driving and see if it goes away. It makes me feel a bit better now that someone else has the same issue, I think it will go away with time.

It doesn't worry me as much because the noise does go away with a light launch/clutch slip, so it could be just engagement noise that comes with aftermarket parts or imperfections on the flywheel surface that need to smooth out. Plus the noise is more of a resonance and NOT grinding. Other than this noise in 1st gear, the car drives better than before, shifts great, engages great with the engagement point at the top of the clutch pedal travel, just like it was when stock.

I'll keep breaking the clutch in and will update this thread in the coming weeks.

Last edited by sleeper3; Mar 16, 2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleeper3
Dude, I have the EXACT same noise. Sounds like an elephant moaning, like a resonance. Your second vid from inside the car sounds EXACTLY like mine does when starting in 1st gear.

Only happens when accelerating in 1st from a dead stop. It goes away if I do a mild launch with clutch slip, but returns later. Or if I slip the clutch quickly and at the right time it won't make the noise. Only difference from your setup is I also put in a Competition Clutch ultralight flywheel (part# STU) along with the stage 4 six puck clutch.

I called Competition Clutch directly a few hours ago and the tech said the sound was normal and I should break it in more. I have 400 miles and 8 days, I'll keep driving and see if it goes away. It makes me feel a bit better now that someone else has the same issue, I think it will go away with time.

It doesn't worry me as much because the noise does go away with a light launch/clutch slip, so it could be just engagement noise that comes with aftermarket parts or imperfections on the flywheel surface that need to smooth out. Plus the noise is more of a resonance and NOT grinding. Other than this noise in 1st gear, the car drives better than before, shifts great, engages great with the engagement point at the top of the clutch pedal travel, just like it was when stock.

I'll keep breaking the clutch in and will update this thread in the coming weeks.

dude i got like 900 miles on it and still happens
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

dude i got like 900 miles on it and still happens
Since we both had it installed by knowledgable techs, and because both of our cars are shifting/driving fine, I think we can chalk this up to being a symptom of having aftermarket parts.

Some researching has found that the stock components, like the springs on the clutch, are tuned by the factory to cancel out any harmonic vibrations that can be audible. By replacing it with an aftermarket clutch, I think we threw that out of balance a bit.

I also found two other users who experienced the same thing as we are but they used ACT components. Apparently the noise does not go away for quite a while, at least for one guy, and it only went away after 5000 miles and few trips to the drag strip.

I can pretty much avoid the noise by either applying very little throttle, or a lot. We'll see how it goes after a few weeks.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Since we both had it installed by knowledgable techs, and because both of our cars are shifting/driving fine, I think we can chalk this up to being a symptom of having aftermarket parts.

Some researching has found that the stock components, like the springs on the clutch, are tuned by the factory to cancel out any harmonic vibrations that can be audible. By replacing it with an aftermarket clutch, I think we threw that out of balance a bit.

I also found two other users who experienced the same thing as we are but they used ACT components. Apparently the noise does not go away for quite a while, at least for one guy, and it only went away after 5000 miles and few trips to the drag strip.

I can pretty much avoid the noise by either applying very little throttle, or a lot. We'll see how it goes after a few weeks.
when i give the car more gas slip the clutch my car stalls on me man i cant wait for my t-case fluids changed i am gonna beat the hell out of the clutch. yes were talking 2 steppin and full launch!!!
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

when i give the car more gas slip the clutch my car stalls on me man i cant wait for my t-case fluids changed i am gonna beat the hell out of the clutch. yes were talking 2 steppin and full launch!!!
Hmm, if you car stalls then you may have other issues. How much wear was on the stock flywheel after you had it resurfaced?
I know this advice is too late for you, but I always replace the flywheel on a clutch job, especially considering how much abuse we put on those components with our cars.

You may have to have your idle rev raised to avoid the stalling.

For me, as of this morning the noise is starting to go away, I know it may come back but it seems to be lessening.

Now keep in mind that I replaced all components (clutch, cover, t/o bearing, flywheel) and as already mentioned in my previous post, put in fresh Mitsu Diaqueen 75W85 for the tranny. I also replaced the transfer case and rear differential with Mitsu LSD SAE 90 Gear Oil. I even did a fresh oil change and we had to put in new radiator fluid anyway. I wanted to make sure that the installers did as much as they could so that I had a fresh fluids since I'm at 30k miles and want this car to last.

So definitely put in fresh fluids for all of the drivetrain components and start breaking it in. I would still think about having your idle rev raised via an ecu flash because that may very well be the only solution for the stalling issue.

Last edited by sleeper3; Mar 17, 2009 at 07:44 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, if you car stalls then you may have other issues. How much wear was on the stock flywheel after you had it resurfaced?
I know this advice is too late for you, but I always replace the flywheel on a clutch job, especially considering how much abuse we put on those components with our cars.

You may have to have your idle rev raised to avoid the stalling.

For me, as of this morning the noise is starting to go away, I know it may come back but it seems to be lessening.

Now keep in mind that I replaced all components (clutch, cover, t/o bearing, flywheel) and as already mentioned in my previous post, put in fresh Mitsu Diaqueen 75W85 for the tranny. I also replaced the transfer case and rear differential with Mitsu LSD SAE 90 Gear Oil. I even did a fresh oil change and we had to put in new radiator fluid anyway. I wanted to make sure that the installers did as much as they could so that I had a fresh fluids since I'm at 30k miles and want this car to last.

So definitely put in fresh fluids for all of the drivetrain components and start breaking it in. I would still think about having your idle rev raised via an ecu flash because that may very well be the only solution for the stalling issue.
i had the tob replaced trans flush etc.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

In first gear there is a loud resonating whine when accelerating from a stop. It almost sounds like a low volume car horn, like a resonating metal sound that's smooth, not grinding. Here's the thing, if I do a light launch with revs at 3k and slip the clutch a bit, then the noise goes away for a while. However, it does return later, and usually happens on a cold start up too.
Just wanted to update everyone, after a few thousand miles, the noise has all but gone away. In fact, I called the tech at Competition Clutch and he confirmed the noise was normal and would go away.

There has never been an issue with the actual performance of this Competition Clutch/Flywheel, the engagement is nice and crisp, and I can launch much much better than with the factory setup. I also noticed some nice benefits of having a lighter flywheel.

So anyone looking for a reasonably priced clutch/flywheel setup, definitely take a hard look at Competition Clutch, because I won't hesitate to get the same parts once these wear out down the road.
Old May 15, 2009, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

what was the clutch rated at for hp/tq
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:20 PM

I have the same noise as well with the same clutch installed, I look forward to the quiet days ahead as it breaks in! --I think its rated to hold around 350whp officially
Old Jun 15, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
It'll hold WAY more the 350whp though. I'm on the Stage 3 @ ~400whp and its holding great.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
I just installed CCI stage 4 with RRE 10.8 lbs clutch. I got about 6 miles on it right now and no noises. But the clutch pedal did get stuck in the "pushed in" position a couple hours ago. I put my foot under the clutch pedal and it popped up and is currently working.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
I just installed CCI stage 4 with RRE 10.8 lbs clutch. I got about 6 miles on it right now and no noises. But the clutch pedal did get stuck in the "pushed in" position a couple hours ago. I put my foot under the clutch pedal and it popped up and is currently working.
bleed your slave cylinder or do a pedal adjustment

Quick Reply: Competition Clutch Flywheel/Clutch Install on Evo IX RS