Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch problem need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch problem need help ASAP

So I just bought an 03 evo with 39k on it. The previous owner told me he put an exedy racing clutch in the car and it has like 15k on it. Well I have had the car a few days now and the clutch was engaging high so I decided to adjust it. Had no problems adjusting it a little and everything was fine when I tested it out in my garage because of the blizzard here in SD. I went out tonight because the roads have cleared up and wanted to take it for a test drive to see how it was. I get in and start the car and it the car won't go into gear.....none of them. The clutch has pressure and I can see the slave cylinder moving when the clutch is pressed and depressed. Another wierd thing is....if I have the clutch in and start the car (car has a clutch bypass so the clutch pedal doesn't need to be pushed in to start the car) I can shift into all the gears smooth and the car will move when I start letting the clutch out. Anybody have any ideas what could be the problem? I bled the clutch as well and I am still having the same problem.....Clutch was fine before, it wasn't slipping or anything like that.

Last edited by churbo; Mar 24, 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you just do the pedal adjustment?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...djustment.html
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you just need to keep adjusting the pedal, you will be fine I bet.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

So to adjust it up the rod should be all the way in? or out? it says clockwise but is that as your are looking up at it or what?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 06:05 AM

Bottom of the rod should turn towards the driver side fender. The further out it is the more travle the pedal has. Just adjust it out until it goes in to gear drive it around until it warms up to make sure everything still engages ok and re adjust as needed.

Last edited by kornkuu; Mar 25, 2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

I've had the rod both ways all the way in and all the way out and it hasn't changed anything. If I leave the car in gear and I don't push the clutch in when I start it the car will lunge forward like it should. Should I adjust the second adjustment that is talked about in there? Will that help any?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

UPDATE: I put the car on jackstands and was able to get the car into gear and then I ran through 1st through 4th gear and it was really smooth. I then let the car come to a stop and tried to put the car in gear and nothing. It doesn't seem like moving that rod is helping anything as far is putting the car into gear. Any other ideas?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many threads are visible on the pedal adjustment? 3 or 4 threads should be about right as long as your have some free play at the top of the pedal. The Evo clutch should engage near the top of the pedal because it's a pull type clutch vs push type - it takes some getting used to. If you lower the engagement (more threads visible) then when you press on the pedal your not moving the clutch arm enough to release the clutch.

Other things you could try include bleeding the slave cylinder, or replacing it.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the advice....Soon as I get another body I am going to bleed the clutch again. I did it last night but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll give it a try. Anybody else have any ideas?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:37 AM

Alot of times it is difficult to bleed the clutch by yourself. The easiest way would be to use a Mighty Vac brake bleeder tool as the pulls the fluid and air through the line. If you still have the clutch "restrictor" in that also makes for a difficult bleed as well.
Basicly it sounds like it is not adjusted properly and bleeding will do nothing for an improper adjustment.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

I have it adjusted now where I can only see a few threads....That's where it was before I started messing with it. Where can I get one of these mighty vac brake bleeders? Basically what you are saying is I need to get the clutch adjust where I want it before I bleed the clutch? That makes sense. I got it where I think it's going to work (being on jackstands it's hard to really tell) so now I just need to bleed they stystem...correct? Sorry if these are noob questions but just never really worked much with manual trannys before.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:53 AM

It's just like bleading brakes and you can pick up the mighty vac at any good auto parts store for around $30-40 if IRC. You want to adjust the clutch to where it disengages about 1/3 to 1/2 pedal travel downward. If you adjust it to grab too low you will have a tough time getting it to fully disengage when speed shifting and if you adjust it to grab too high it may start to slip on high boost as it will never fully engage. It's not hard to do,just need to have done it a few times to get that "sweet spot".
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Sweet spot sounds good. I will have to mess with it but the main thing I am worried about now is just getting it to go into gear. It's an aftermarket excedy clutch so would that make a big difference for clutch adjustment?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:31 AM
Account Disabled

hmmm

Quick Reply: Clutch problem need help ASAP