Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hks Gd Max

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2003, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hks Gd Max

Hi

Has anyone installed the HKS GD Max twin plate clutch? If so, how does it feel?

Ben
Old Sep 25, 2003, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

I want to know also. Free bump!!
Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

I have the HKS GD Max twin disc in my Evo. Pedal pressure is lighter than stock. Drives very smoothly. It's sprung.

Downside... you have to totally re-learn how to launch this car, if you drag race. I was at the track tonight, pulling horrible times. Haven't found a way to get it right yet. Maybe need to slip it slower or something. The clutch is smooth, but when it hooks, IT HOOKS.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 07:42 PM

I put my gdmax in two days ago. I LOVE IT! clutch pedal feels about the same and I also have had to re-learn launches. I've stalled it a few times trying to ease out of a stop light. I cant quite get the feel of the engagement. Hopefully when i remove the restrictor it will help. I get light chatter with the pedal depressed, which is to be expected, but it is almost unnoticeable. Overall the clutch seems to be great! but again I've only had it a couple days.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys

thanks for the feedback. Just wondering how u guys launch your cars now. I used to launch @ 7k rpm with the stock clutch...however, I tried the same method (rev to 7k, release half and feel for bite, once the clutch bites, release clutch pedal) the rpm drops drastically to 2xxx and the car bogs. Disaster!!! Plus, I think the guys who installed my clutch broke a clip on the throw out bearing, and therefore i have lots of clutch chatter.

Ben
Old Sep 28, 2003, 12:00 AM

you may need to feather out the clutch a little instead of dumping it completely. I still want to put a few more miles on mine before I really torture the clutch . After replacing it myself I'm in no hurry to get back under my car! I doubt they broke anything installing it, it would be pretty tough to break. The HKS doesnt use the same type of clips as your stock clutch's throwout bearing. It uses a locking ring that can only be removed after taking apart the clutch assembly. I would bet that your hearing normal chatter that, to my understanding, most twin disc clutches have. Have you removed the clutch restrictor? I believe it will give a much better feel for engagement of the clutch. I will find out soon i guess. and I'm still debating if I should also put in a SS clutch line.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Incognito
I have the HKS GD Max twin disc in my Evo. Pedal pressure is lighter than stock. Drives very smoothly. It's sprung.

Downside... you have to totally re-learn how to launch this car, if you drag race. I was at the track tonight, pulling horrible times. Haven't found a way to get it right yet. Maybe need to slip it slower or something. The clutch is smooth, but when it hooks, IT HOOKS.
Daryl was telling about your car and said he thinks you drive better than them. Cant wait to see that kit.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Just got back from the track (again). This clutch is hard as hell to launch correctly. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but not really. pulled a few 1.7's, but still very inconsistent. With time, things should be better. I'm still a little scared of launching at 6500+, which is the only way to not bog it out.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

thanks a lot guys