Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ati, stock, or fluidampr?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2009, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only Fluid's in all of our builds
Old Dec 4, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You can make 1000hp on the stock damper. not really needed if staying with 2.0. the factory damper is tuned for the 2.0. the aftermarket ones are designed to dampen a broader range of frequencies. I like them when running strokers.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fluidampr
Old Dec 4, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJ_EveOhVIII
bringin back an old thread but when is a new dampener nessacery? im planning on putting down well over 600hp within the next year. is it more of an insurance thing or less stress more power type of deal.
I don't think anyone on this forum has any data to prove which damper works better AS A DAMPER. In other words, nobody is measuring the harmonic vibrations and comparing both dampers. The only feedback you can receive is "I installed it and it didn't break" or "I installed it and it threw a belt." Does that mean one works better than the other as a damper? Obviously the belt needs to stay on, but how come only a few people experienced this issue? I know several people running the ATi damper with great success. One potential reason for the belt issue may be the wrong sizing on the crankshaft snout. It's necessary to measure the snout with an accurate micrometer, measure the ID of the new ATi hub with a dial bore gauge or similar, then confirm the amount of press before installation. If the hub is fitted incorrectly, it can cause issues. There is also a reason the damper is oversized...to provide suffient mass to do it's job properly. There are also benefits to having the o-ring design over a fluid filled damper like the fluidampr. Here's an example:

My opinion: A very large group of professional engine builders use ATi dampers, not Fluidampr. This includes:

Reher-Morrison
TRD
Katech
Hendrick Motorsports
...almost every NASCAR team.

Here are a few examples:

NASCAR Spec Engine:

Toyota's NASCAR Engine:

Lexus Daytona Prototype engine:

I could go on all night...

I'm not saying Fluidampr makes a bad damper, but that if you base your opinion off those who HAVE performed the testing, and have millions of dollars on the line based upon that testing....you'll probably be right.

Last edited by SeanC; Dec 4, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody said the company sucked. The Evo product sucks. Why are only few people having an issue? Because only a few of us who used it spin our motors 10k rpm. Not to mention being so large it over spins the accessories. So no I am not going to use a product that jumps belts off the pullies whether it balances the harmonics better or not. Bottom line the Evo application ati sucks. Not to mention the install takes 20x as long on a complete motor and cost much more too.

Your domestic examples are meaningless. What works for a BBC and and supra doesn't work well for an Evo as I know 1st hand as I used both. So if you base your opinion off Million dollar prostock cars you'll probably end up with a paperweight if your car actually hauls ***.

Last edited by AWD Motorsports; Dec 4, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

I vote for the Fluidampr.... had mine for a long time now, no problems whatsoever!
Old Dec 5, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I agree using examples from V8 cars and other engines is useless. And throwing belts like Mike said is ridiculous unacceptable. The stock damper was designed by mitsubishi. adding HP through the engine does nothing to change the harmonics of the engine. changing engine stroke probably does. I could go on and on about how useless that post is.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Nobody said the company sucked. The Evo product sucks. Why are only few people having an issue? Because only a few of us who used it spin our motors 10k rpm. Not to mention being so large it over spins the accessories. So no I am not going to use a product that jumps belts off the pullies whether it balances the harmonics better or not. Bottom line the Evo application ati sucks. Not to mention the install takes 20x as long on a complete motor and cost much more too.

Your domestic examples are meaningless. What works for a BBC and and supra doesn't work well for an Evo as I know 1st hand as I used both. So if you base your opinion off Million dollar prostock cars you'll probably end up with a paperweight if your car actually hauls ***.

couldent of said it better myself !!!!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Please keep in mind the examples shown above also have the ability to measure and "tune" their dampers to meet each engines needs. If you order an ATI damper, there is no consideration if you have a stroker, or any other significant modifications. And to that point none of us have the real equipment or know how to actually tune their dampers.

Not picking sides, ATIs market speaks for itself, but in evo application there seems to be a lot of issues related to the ATI.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Glad I read this threat. I'm going to get a fluidampr
Old Feb 22, 2018, 07:19 PM
IGX

Will the fluidamper work better than stock? My stock dampers have some chips in it. Will I be able to use the oem sized serpentine belt?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluidampr-C...5XuyYx&vxp=mtr
Old Feb 23, 2018, 03:25 AM

Bought a Fluidampr