Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff Whining??

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Diff Whining??

Everytime i get on the gas theres no noise.....but if im cruising on the parkway or freeway with little pressure to the throttle i hear a whine coming from the BACK of the car. Its not the transfer case as i no what that sounds like.....but yet again im not 100% sure because i hear it in the back under the rear seat.

does anyone no?? could it be time to change the rear diff fluid, i really cant remeber the last time i did it.

and NO its not my fuel pump.
Old May 5, 2009, 06:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Change fluids regardless!!!

It more than likely is coming from the front, just the sound is migrating up and down the drive train.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

so your saying its the transfer case?
Old May 5, 2009, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same thing from 40-70mph. I don't know what is causing it yet
Old May 6, 2009, 06:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have a similar noise on decelerating.

i am hoping its deceleration noise
Old May 6, 2009, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Hate to break the news to you. But it's your T-case. I had the same prob. I thought it was my rear diff. I replaced that and I still had the noise. So took the T-case off and sent it to Shep. Shep rebuilt it for like $1495 they called me up and asked me if I want to do the stage 2 done to it for like $50 bucks. I got it done and I am loving it. I don't know if the price is different from have a ACD T-case vs. a non-ACD T-case. Get it done You will love it trust me.

Originally Posted by EvoDom
cruising on the parkway or freeway
Why is it we drive on Parkways and park on Driveways? And the Freeways aren't always free if you have to pay tolls.
Old May 6, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

yea i talked to my buddy from DogBox racing. He told me more then likly its the Tcase....and from me being inside the car the drive shaft is throwing the sound towards the rear end.

so i got a really good price on rebuilding my T case.

im going to change the fluid sometimes that will take the noise away if you catch it before it goes bad. Because once the T case starts whining loud the whine never goes away.

RevMoto......i have it in high MPH also.....only on the parkway or like you said 40mph-70mph.....and it only does it when im on the gas a little.....so will see when i change my fluid if it goes away lol
Old May 6, 2009, 07:36 AM

yea i talked to my buddy from DogBox racing. He told me more then likly its the Tcase....and from me being inside the car the drive shaft is throwing the sound towards the rear end.

im going to change the fluid sometimes that will take the noise away if you catch it before it goes bad. Because once the T case starts whining loud the whine never goes away.

RevMoto......i have it in high MPH also.....only on the parkway or like you said 40mph-70mph.....and it only does it when im on the gas a little.....so will see when i change my fluid if it goes away lol
ok i got a diff problem. i get a slight hum/whine when slowing down at about 40km/h
Old May 6, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rolly1818
ok i got a diff problem. i get a slight hum/whine when slowing down at about 40km/h
I have this same problem too. I recently changed my motor and the whining started when they put everything back together. I did put new oil in the tcase when they put the new motor inn. I used OEM Diaqueen LSD oil. Is this recommendable?
Old May 6, 2009, 11:43 AM

I have this same problem too. I recently changed my motor and the whining started when they put everything back together. I did put new oil in the tcase when they put the new motor inn. I used OEM Diaqueen LSD oil. Is this recommendable?
i get it when decelerating only! i changed all fluids in the car and my car is at 17000kms lol

never launched. i think its deceleration noise.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoDom

I did a full amsoil flush to my entire drivetrain and didn't see a difference in sound. My last evo had a bad t-case and this is not it.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

From what I've read all Evos have mild deceleration noise, which is a light whine/lash sound, especially in 2nd and 1st. There is of course transfer case whine but that gets progressively higher pitched as speed increases and is not limited to specific gears.

I'd definitely change fluids, but I wouldn't go booking in a diff/T-case rebuild until you know for sure it's the problem and needs repair (mainly directed at rolly1818).