Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

So, I switched to AMSoil. Rattle rattle...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
what rattles, the pedal, the car, the steering.

sounds to me like mechanical fluids dont make rattles
not vibration... rattle. It's a sound. It's just louder than when cold and when the OEM fluid was in there. I tried Royal purple a while ago and it was quiet but shift quality was terrable so I went back to OEM... i thought i would try AMSoil this time.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
An increase in gear noise is understandable but a rattle? A rattle suggests something is lose and moving, not an increase or decrease in friction.
Do we all trust the man? Read the description of the gear oil on his site...

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...5662a3cff96868

Once you've taken the gear trees out of a transmission you see how much crap is in there to rattle around. Half the gears are just sitting there on one of the shafts in the transmission. The syncros are loose too. There's plenty to rattle.

One thing that supresses rattle is high viscosity. I'm not an oil expert so there could be other stuff that helps too. Just imagine a set of ball bearings in the bottom of an alluminum can. They rattle when you move it back and forth but if you fill the can with oil they don't.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_GPT
I purchased it from AMSoil.com website. It's the correct stuff.

Gear oil can absolutely cause more/less gear noise. Every car makes transmission noise to some degree. Changing the gear oil changes the sounds...

Everything works fine. I just changed the fluids because the tranny was out while i did the 2.3 swap. I guess I'll have to put something else in there now or be burned at the stake.

The fanboy comments were all tounge-in-cheek.

the problem is that your discrepancy is totally reversed to what hundreds of customers have experienced wich is less gear noise, i epxerienced it with my evo as well, the synthetic and the 75W90 oil will provide less friction in consecuence less noise.

you need to check where your noise is comming from.
did you leave something loose while filling the tranny?
did you put enough oil ?
did you get the correct oil?

do not miss understand what iam portraying here, i am trying to help out
even though you are not our customer at this point in time.

this just sounds weird,

Last edited by apagan01; Jun 30, 2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yes definitely and make sure you car is leveled when inserting lube, if you're using some TEIN-S springs make sure you lift up the front just a little bit so it can be leveled and what not...

Justs things to consider and what apagan01 and the others are saying... GL!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

I bought 75w90 gl4 from the AMSoil site directly along with 2 bottles of sevier gear for the t-case. The tranny oil was in a translucent white bottle with a white cap. I don't really want to have to take a picture...

I'm on stock springs and I filled it on the ground WITH the AMSoil pump even... I'm on the mississippi gulf coast. Flatter land there is none. That was monday. This morning i went out to check the t-case and tranny levels and both came out when i added more.

I know it's the transmission because pressing the clutch makes the rattle go away, but sloly as the transmission spins down. It also sounds just like every other transmission rattle i've ever heard. You can not come close to hearing it while inside the car. It's cleraly inside the transmission and not outside. It's not high frequency (not a buzz) and not high pitch (like lifter tick sounds would be)

I filled it until it came out of the fill hole.

I've done this before and have been doing it sense my second car... I'm not trying to be a smartass but I know it's not filling error. I would rule that out before transmission problems.

To hear it you would have to have your head down near the driver side tire. If you don't hear it in your cars try pressing the clutch and listen to the difference. I would be REALLY surprised if every other evo's transmission is dead silent. (My car has 47000 miles on it.)

Last edited by Rob_GPT; Jun 30, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
I am a fanboy I have been using amsoil fluids for the past 9 years in different vehicles I have never had a rattle issue sounds like something is loose or something. Trust me it happens all the times
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

The cap coulda been a different color. I went out to the trash and found a bottle to confirm but i couldn't find a cap. The bottle matches my invoice.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Do a quick search for OEM fluids in the tranny and you will quickly find out that the best fluid for your tranny is the oem. It pains me to keep seeing people put anything other then oem fluids in the tranny, but oh well, should be an expensive fix and a lesson learned. Amsoil is a great product, unfortunately the evo drivetrain can be quite picky and for the most part hates anything except for OEM.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BenJ
Do a quick search for OEM fluids in the tranny and you will quickly find out that the best fluid for your tranny is the oem. It pains me to keep seeing people put anything other then oem fluids in the tranny, but oh well, should be an expensive fix and a lesson learned. Amsoil is a great product, unfortunately the evo drivetrain can be quite picky and for the most part hates anything except for OEM.
so then with what you have said, how can anyone explain all the high performance cars running fluids other than OEM.

plenty AUTO X cars running other fluids than OEM, plenty drag cars runing fluids other than OEM ect ect...
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're not talking about the regular throw out bearing rattle are you?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
so then with what you have said, how can anyone explain all the high performance cars running fluids other than OEM.

plenty AUTO X cars running other fluids than OEM, plenty drag cars runing fluids other than OEM ect ect...

I agree... AMSoil did not break my transmission. It's fine. It's been in for 2 days and it has made the same noises it always has they're just a little louder than they were. It started the FIRST time I warmed up the transmission.

Hasn't anyone ever noitced synthetic motor oil increase valvetrane noise over dyno oil? I'll probably catch hell for that too i guess. (That's not directed at you apagan)
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

I put in AMSoil 3k ago and my car has never felt better.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
You're not talking about the regular throw out bearing rattle are you?
Could be actuially. that's a possability I didn't consider... I'll know when i find a good source for the OEM stuff. I'll be sure to clear the AMSoil name if the sound doesn't go away when i swap back to stock.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Werd
I put in AMSoil 3k ago and my car has never felt better.

again i agree. It shifts better than OEM and MUCH MUCH better than royal purple.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

I've been using amsoil GL4 for a while now and I know what the OP is speaking of.

When the trans is fully warmed up on a hot day its easy to hear if you know what your listening for. Also, it could be louder depending on what kind of clutch and flywheel you are using.

I don't mind the extra little bit of noise, mostly because I had an M coupe that I took the duel mass flywheel out of and installed a very light weight clutch/flywheel setup. Sounded like a school bus at idle when in neutral with the clutch out.

Heavy/thicker gear oil does help with this "backlash" noise, and the amsoil stuff seems to be a bit on the thiner side.

Quick Reply: So, I switched to AMSoil. Rattle rattle...