Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Phelonic Thermal Intake Gasket??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phenolic Thermal Intake Gasket??

Do these gaskets really work? or . We are looking to hit around 650 awhp when our build is all said and done. Bought an AMS VSR intake manifold with Boomba throttle body. Several different vendors recommended using this type of gasket between the intake manifold and the engine to reduce air intake temperatures. I had never heard of it before and wasn't sure if I was just getting suckered into purchasing an extra part or if it would really add a few more hp.

http://gizzmousa.com/thermal-gasket.html

Last edited by voloracer; Jul 8, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i like these type much better then the plastic hondata type ones. all the old school muscle car guys use these too. i did not know they made this for are car in this material. nice find.

anyone up for a back to back test?? its relatively easy
Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:12 PM

I purchased it and will install it soon. I also purchased 2 OEM gaskets, one for each side of the Gizzmo just to make sure there are no leaks. Manufacturer says it takes the place of the OEM gasket, but I decided extra gaskets are better than none!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Thermal intake gasket is the best mod for the money and probably the most underappreciated. We don't make gaskets for Evo 8, but we have been making kits for SRT4 for a while and for Evo X. With Evo X gasket we can lower intake temperature by almost 50F. After installing gasket you can feel more power immediately.
By the way don't sandwich insulating gasket between OEM gaskets that actually creates leaks. Plastic gaskets have to be trapped between metal surfaces (manifold and head) directly.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get them from Magnus Motorsports.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/int...ifolds/dsm.htm
Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Everyone loves to throw around intake manifold temp drop numbers with spacer gaskets, but heat transfer will only occur at the inside surface of the manifold, which is a minimal percentage of overall mass airflow under high boost. Combine that with how quickly air is rushing through and the effect becomes more negligible. Show before/after dyno numbers and prove that the gains are worth the cost and labor involved, until then I'll get by just fine without it.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Heat transfer occurs on the inside surface of the manifold, because that is where the air layer has contact with the metal. Of course, the better the contact between the head and the intake manifold, the greater the heat transfer into the manifold from the head, and the greater heat that is available to affect the air.

As many people have observed in the past, the end effect is the sum of the system. If any significant heat reduction can be made in any part of the intake tract, it will be effective in increasing performance.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

another useful benefit of the Hondata/plastic gaskets, they are reusable. That can come in really handy when you have to pull the head in the middle of the night
Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:17 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
"phenolic"

I have the magnus one and love it! My IM stays nice and cool.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomba Racing
Thermal intake gasket is the best mod for the money and probably the most underappreciated. We don't make gaskets for Evo 8, but we have been making kits for SRT4 for a while and for Evo X. With Evo X gasket we can lower intake temperature by almost 50F. After installing gasket you can feel more power immediately.
By the way don't sandwich insulating gasket between OEM gaskets that actually creates leaks. Plastic gaskets have to be trapped between metal surfaces (manifold and head) directly.
Everyone I have installed or even hurd of being installed like this - - became a huge boost leak over the course of time.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by xRoguex
Everyone I have installed or even hurd of being installed like this - - became a huge boost leak over the course of time.
Are you talking about installing them with gaskets on each side of the thermal gasket?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

When JUST using the thermal gasket - they leak.

Using the dual stock gasket... I have never had someone tell me it leaked.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:17 PM

...so boomba says no gaskets, you say gaskets are a must. Who do I trust? Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Its not so much who you "trust".

They may have a trick that gets it to seal their way - that I dont know of.

I use RTV and two stock gaskets. And that combo held on my DSM for 10,000+ miles.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:44 PM

You do realise adding such a spacer, changes the effective length of the Intake manifold runner length and any dyno proven benefits will be more a result of the new inertia/wave Tuning frequncies suiting the cam timing better then the old IM runner length.

If you honestly believe that an Intake manifold at elevated temperatures is honestly going to effect ~ 230L of air in one second (7000rpm x 2L @ atmos pressure) then you should really go back to school/college. Not to mention air has almost the worst thermal conduction value for heat transfer...

Quick Reply: Phelonic Thermal Intake Gasket??