Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo viii vs. Evo ix

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03EVOGUY
the main difference between the 8 and 9 are, the 8 has a stronger tranny and can take more abuse over the 9. ive seen people take it up to 600+ hp on stock driveline. the evo 9: the 9 does come with more HP and TQ then the 8, but has a weak 6 speed but does have a bigger turbo and mivec which makes it alot torqier then the 8. but you cant put big cams you might break the mivec part. the 9 also has the ACD which is sensitive to traction loss and will break. I dont think its worth the extra money IMO. but the only real weak point in both evos is the transfercase. IMO i would just go with the 8, it will last longer in the end.
OMG...reallly...

I have the torch fired up and ready to go for this.

the ACD or Active Center Differential is what makes an evo an Evo.
If anything your "03 8" is a dumbed down version of ct9a AND cp9a.

to the OP, it dosnt matter, comes down to your likes.
However ACD is a huge advantage and is run successfully all over the world, and for crash reasons was omitted from 03 and 04 evos

Do some research please...Wikipedia is a good place to start.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, Maikumaru! You'll find everything you need to know in Wikipedia!
Old Aug 4, 2009, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Dhbamby....Get a TBE from AMS. i love my exhaust and it sounds great and check it out from www.maperformance.com
Old Aug 4, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

I love my evo 9, wouldn't trade it for anything else.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 01:32 PM

I say 8...
Old Aug 4, 2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by sevy2213
Dhbamby....Get a TBE from AMS. i love my exhaust and it sounds great and check it out from www.maperformance.com
I'll check it out later tonight when I have more time... I love the ams exhaust mani ...
Old Aug 4, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dhbamby
Wow thank you guys so much, I think I'm gonna get an 8 and get the 9 turbo ported and polished for it ...
I think you might as well get a aftermarket stock frame turbo, like BBK or Tomei arms...

The only thing I regret about my 8 is the open front LSD, cost me 1150 for a LSD + install fees.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by kwanza
I think you might as well get a aftermarket stock frame turbo, like BBK or Tomei arms...

The only thing I regret about my 8 is the open front LSD, cost me 1150 for a LSD + install fees.

Were you being limited that much by the open diff that u had to replace it? Or did it break? Also what year did the LSD come standard
Old Aug 4, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Were you being limited that much by the open diff that u had to replace it? Or did it break? Also what year did the LSD come standard
All 9's have front lsd

The only 8's to come with LSD were 04+ RS, and the 05 MR's
Old Aug 4, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Did not break it, just replaced it for hard launches. Front LSD + solid engine mounts to reduce wheel hop. If you don't plan to drag it, don't really need it. I noticed better shifting from the solid mounts, with increased vibration and engine noise.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 03EVOGUY
the main difference between the 8 and 9 are, the 8 has a stronger tranny and can take more abuse over the 9. ive seen people take it up to 600+ hp on stock driveline. the evo 9: the 9 does come with more HP and TQ then the 8, but has a weak 6 speed but does have a bigger turbo and mivec which makes it alot torqier then the 8. but you cant put big cams you might break the mivec part. the 9 also has the ACD which is sensitive to traction loss and will break. I dont think its worth the extra money IMO. but the only real weak point in both evos is the transfercase. IMO i would just go with the 8, it will last longer in the end.
Well I truly feel sorry for this kid. I hope he is not building his own evo

IMO I would go IX, but not the IXMR. I have the MR and its the biggest pos on the face of the earth... well it may be that I just have bad luck The IX comes with a lot of great features that the VIII didn't have, as stated above. If you want a "cheaper evo" to throw a phat turbo on then maybe I would go with an VIII. In the long run you will have more money to spend on upgrades.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by kwanza
Did not break it, just replaced it for hard launches. Front LSD + solid engine mounts to reduce wheel hop. If you don't plan to drag it, don't really need it. I noticed better shifting from the solid mounts, with increased vibration and engine noise.
how much hp do you have?
Old Aug 4, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Food for thought:

When my cam sensor went out and my IX had its MIVEC system not functioning, I was seeing 26psi by 5200 rpm (2.3 stroker, 35R, @ 6,000ft elevation). That night we tracked down the problem, got the MIVEC dialed back in, and put a test pipe on the car (replaced the AMS high flow cat). We picked up 600rpm in spool time...MIVEC works and it really helps make the midrange useable.

Also, if you're going to do any sort of racing in low grip situations, ACD is invaluable, and actually was the reason I saved up an extra year before buying one.

Dave
Old Aug 4, 2009, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

I posted it once already. Read below cause I quoted myself.

Originally Posted by Resi
All 9's have front lsd

The only 8's to come with LSD were 04+ RS, and the 05 MR's
Read up on your Evo information cause your giving the wrong info out.

Originally Posted by Corey
1. The 8's and 9's have the same tranny, but the 9 has different gear ratios. If your talking about grinds, both 8's and 9's can have that problem.

2. The 8 and 9 MR's are the only Evo's with a 6 speed

3. You can put big cams in a 9 just like a 8. Wait, look around and you'll see that the same big cams available for the 8's are available for the 9 as well. Maybe your getting something mixed up with aftermarket MIVEC cams breaking?

4. 05' Evo 8's have ACD as well, 03'-04's do not. 05' was also the first year to have a front LSD on all models. Only model before to have a front LSD was the 04' RS. Both the ACD and front LSD HELP traction.

5. I've owned two Evo's now (03' and 06') and haven't broke a t-case. It all comes down how you drive and maintain them.

There is a reason after 04' HID' were not standard equipment on Evo's. One reason being was that the 05's had other standard equipment on them like the ACD and the front LSD. Those two parts drove the price up so HID's became part of the SSL package to keep the price of the car down.

Eff it here you go....

2003 - only options were the big wing and sunroof and HID's were standard.

2004 - nothing changed was leather became an option and small wing was dropped. RS model was introduced.

2005 - LSD, ACD, and 10.5 hotside were now standard and the Evo had a small bump in power. The SSL package included sunroof, Infinity stereo, leather, and HID's. First year for the MR with a 6 speed.

2006 - Basically the same car, BUT the turbo got a upgraded compressor housing, MIVEC head, different interior, different gear ratios, and different front bumper.

List of models....

2003 - GSR

2004 - GSR, RS

2005 - GSR, RS, MR

2006 - GSR, RS, MR, SE

Any other questions feel free to ask.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 01:26 AM

Very helpfull thAnk you

Quick Reply: Evo viii vs. Evo ix