Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP White vs FP Green - same day - same dyno comparision

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP White vs FP Green - same day - same dyno comparision

Today, I had a rare opportunity to conduct back to back testing on two very similarly equiped Evo 8's with basic Stage III configurations on the same dyno and same day.

These cars both had what I consider basic performance upgrades - stage III which includes - intake, full exhuast and cams. Each car had FIC 750 cc injectors and a walbro fuel pump. Both had Hallman MBC's Each had custom Dyno Flash tunes.

The first car had the FP white which was run on 93 octane with 25 psi peak boost. As compared to stock this turbo has the same spool up as stock and holds the boost all the way out till red line, which is very impressive. It feels great on the road. We made 362/363 which was decent numbers but not that much more than we would expect with a stock turbo. I think the gains would be more significant over 7,000 rpms. My take is this is a turbo suited for someone who absoultely cant have any more lag than stock but who wants a mild upgrade over stock.

The second car had a green - much more popular choice This car also ran 25 psi on 93 pump gas and made 393 whp. You can see on the dyno chart its a bit laggier in the low rpm power range but lets face it most of the time we are driving over 4500 rpms in any event. I personally would take the green every time. More power and TQ and a lot faster car in exhange for a trade off on slightly more lag and a loss in low LOW prm use.

Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

i've never heard of a FP white
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
very nice Al...... you should now test a HTA green and compare the differences on pump old green vs new green..... a lot of folks would be interested in this.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

I always wondered about the FP white. They say on the website it actually spools faster then stock.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

FP white seems like kind of a waste of money... I dont see how the performance would justify the cost compared to a stock IX turbo- green is cool, but outdated- HTA green maybe if you want to deal with forced performance wait time, or go with a BBK and not be disappointed
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
HTA green maybe if you want to deal with forced performance wait time
It's been posted that the wait time was 13 days call to arrival, and also in another thread that there's some in stock ready to ship

Not to go off topic, nice work with the testing Al!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
FP white seems like kind of a waste of money... I dont see how the performance would justify the cost compared to a stock IX turbo- green is cool, but outdated- HTA green maybe if you want to deal with forced performance wait time, or go with a BBK and not be disappointed
Personally, my only choice in the stock replacement turbo group is the FP red

To me the white is too close to a stock turbo in performance to justify the expense to aquire it and install it

However, with that said those who are seeking to have the least possible turbo lag may want a turbo which makes more power with the same spool up as stock
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Cool, I was thinking about buying a used white then a stock 9 turbo maybe down the road I can upgrade to a hta green or red since, the fp store is only 30min from my house thanks for the test.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:44 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by JJLANCER02
Cool, I was thinking about buying a used white then a stock 9 turbo maybe down the road I can upgrade to a hta green or red since, the fp store is only 30min from my house thanks for the test.
I really can't say enough good things about the red turbo and for my tastes its really ideal for a street driven machine. However, given that I am used to and prefer BIG turbo set ups like the Gt35 and similar larger non stock location set ups, the Red always feels a lot faster responding and the lag is nominal to my taste. Every Evo owner has to pick a turbo which is suited to his / her driving style and intended use for the car.

I will say that the White turbo gave me more of a "feeling" in the seat of the pants as far as an improvement than was reflected in the dyno numbers. It does seem to give a very broad power band and holds the power well up top.

My conclusion is to recomend that all my customers just go for the red if they are considering a stock location turbo.

Al
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

there is a newer version on the Green coming out...saw it this weekend....and the new FP Black....saw that too.........
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with you Al, the Red is a turbo that is extremely difficult to beat. That is my recommendation nearly all the time.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I agree with you Al, the Red is a turbo that is extremely difficult to beat. That is my recommendation nearly all the time.
oh they are beating it dave.....ive seen it at COBB w/ the head guy from FP and one of his R&D guys....
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
However, with that said those who are seeking to have the least possible turbo lag may want a turbo which makes more power with the same spool up as stock
That's what I wanted after playing the big turbo game on DSMs for years, I almost got a Red but ended up with a BBK lite. It spools like the White and makes power like the Green in your graphs.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
oh they are beating it dave.....ive seen it at COBB w/ the head guy from FP and one of his R&D guys....
Don't hold out! So the Black is real?
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

I am still hoping for someone to develop a variable vane turbo for the evo, This esentially gives a variable A/R ratio. The geometry of the vanes change as the engine changes its demands. Borg Warner has a nice unit that is in use on the Porsche, starting in 2007. Maybe the FP black will have this low lag/high top end genie. Robert, how about it???

Quick Reply: FP White vs FP Green - same day - same dyno comparision