Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ultra-High RPM Dual Valve Spring / Titanium Retainer Set

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2009, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
is everything an argument with you Mike? you get all butt hurt because I correct the terminology? very childish you are.
Im not arguing with you i am telling you you are WRONG in your statements.. Is everything a battle with you when someone disagrees with your FALSE statements.. How about " damn, i guess i was wrong mike, Seems you and john bradley can hear it so i must be misinformed".. instead you are arguing what you dont know as true but what you HEARD..

MIke
Old Dec 7, 2009, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Now i know what your thinking.. how can mike hear them floating in the head?? LOL From experience once again its not the float you hear its the tone of the motor when it happens in high RPM..

Thats exactly what I was thinking. you cant hear the valves themselves floating. like you can hear detonation. what you hear is the engine change tone from loss of power. instead of point this out I erased the post. but you replied like instantly so here we are.

you ever hear the saying "mean what you say, and say what you mean" ?

Its difficult enough to have a technical discussion when you use poor terminology. its even worse when you get defensive when it gets corrected.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 05:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Now i know what your thinking.. how can mike hear them floating in the head?? LOL From experience once again its not the float you hear its the tone of the motor when it happens in high RPM..

Thats exactly what I was thinking. you cant hear the valves themselves floating. like you can hear detonation. what you hear is the engine change tone from loss of power. instead of point this out I erased the post. but you replied like instantly so here we are.

you ever hear the saying "mean what you say, and say what you mean" ?

Its difficult enough to have a technical discussion when you use poor terminology. its even worse when you get defensive when it gets corrected.
I thought float didnt cause loss of power??

Either way its the internet man.. John bradley didnt have any issue understanding my typing.. I speak pretty good english.. My contribution to this thread is done... Later..
Old Dec 7, 2009, 05:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems to be that everything on here turns into a argument, most vendors on here have more knowledge and experience than the average member or they wouldnt stay in business, If Mike didnt know what he was talking about there wouldnt be any 8-9-10 second evos with AWD on the back of them so he must know what he is doing. This "member" measuring contest or challenging vendors knowledge on here is getting way out of hand. Mike is spot on in what he is saying.

Justin
Old Dec 7, 2009, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a technical distinction between the two terms, but valve float leads to valve bounce. The basic concept is that you need enough spring to keep the rocker on the lobe of the cam. When the lobe has too much accelleration in its shape for the spring to keep the rocker following the lobe, you get valve float. Yes, it gives "more lift" because it's not controlled.

But, what goes up (uncontrolled) must come down, and when it does, still out of camshaft control, it's not a smooth landing. If the valve is not set down under control, and the spring is not balanced by the cam lobe in setting the valve down, the spring snaps the valve shut, often creating a residual bounce. It also has the capacity to weaken the valve head to stem junction, and "pull" the head off of the valve, which then causes "loss of power" (as well as destroys your piston, combustion chamber, and the like).

Want to see a cool video from kiggly of valve springs in high RPM slow motion action? http://www.kigglyracing.com/parts/im...ive_Spring.avi

So, too much valve spring can cause loss of power from the force it needs to compress them as compared to a lighter spring, but too little valve spring tension can cause float, bounce, and engine destruction. Which option would you prefer?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Whatever you want to call it, it sounds like the engine changed into an old fashioned washboard. You feel it lay over (loss of power), in my case I could see it knock at the same time. That is the stock ECU for you though wanting to call everything knock. The same exact setup with a change to some FPs resulted in an ultra clean power band like this:

Last edited by JohnBradley; Dec 7, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 07:49 PM
Former Sponsor

wow
Old Dec 7, 2009, 07:54 PM
fre
Evolved Member

I am running Brian Crower valve springs/ti retainers @ 93lbs of seat pressure and so far so good for at least 8600rpm. Of course my stock ones would do that as well, although I did get a strange single knock count around 8300, which is now gone, so maybe the stock ones were floating around 8300. My friend ran the same ones (Brian Crowers) in his talon to 9500rpm with no issues for a few years. Kiggleys are overkill unless you have a huge t4 turbo. My same fiend also owned a set of those (Kiggleys) when he upgraded to a 42r and he said turning the motor over by hand with those was a ***** lol

Last edited by fre; Dec 8, 2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
FP doesnt recommend revving higher than 8600, I didnt say they couldnt
I'm not trying to argue with you here, just get the facts straight, but FP clearly states 9k RPM on their website. I'm in the market for either these springs or GSC's and am having a tough time finding any actual differences and whether one is a better choice than the other.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 8, 2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

That must have also been revised. In my many conversations with Groc he had said they can do it but dont offer them as a high rpm spring. I will alter my posts to reflect that.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

there is much more that goes into choosing the correct valve spring than RPM and boost pressure. The best source of information will come from your camshaft manufacturer. You can either ask them directly or ask one of the dealers as they usually have a better understand or have already asked what to use with which cam.

Most know about valve float and use it as a generic term to talk about every aspect of a valve spring being inferior. There are more things that go into valve spring design than just valve float, engine rpm, and boost pressures. Things like valve bounce, flutter, jerk, spring rising rate, seat pressure, spring frequency are some of the aspects of spring terms.

Now as far as the OEM Mitsu spring. while it does have a good seat pressure there is absolutely no rise in pressure. This is common on an oem application as the constraints of the spring are defined by what the outputs are going to be from the factory. Some ask questions like are the OEM valve springs up to the task of increasing the rev limit? Well yes on the factory cam they sure are. they are designed to keep the valves from floating if a slight mechanical over rev occurs on the stock cams. What is commonly a safety net for the OEM designed products, becomes useful for the aftermarket applications.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
I'm not trying to argue with you here, just get the facts straight, but FP clearly states 9k RPM on their website. I'm in the market for either these springs or GSC's and am having a tough time finding any actual differences and whether one is a better choice than the other.
I just changed my posts, AND then decided to look. When I did all I saw was the spring price and no information. Then I saw it under the DSM upgrade

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...ode=DSM-Engine
Old Dec 9, 2009, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Its also listed if you read the description for the FP4R cams. Good to know my IX retainers are light though!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Alot of good info!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

I am surprised, no one has yet to run these High RPM set!

Quick Reply: Ultra-High RPM Dual Valve Spring / Titanium Retainer Set