Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC S1 vs. S2 vs. 272

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gsc's beehive springs are made to sit in the stock seat and use the stock retainers. i am actually in the process of swapping from comp 272's to the s2's on my bbk full.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Ok so after some time has past and i spoke to some people about this subject I was almost leaning towords getting the s1 so i could get more low end torque. But then I reread this thread and English Racings thread on big cams small turbo. Now im want the s2's. Even if im not happy with the low end It will just get me to purchase a FP red or even that new black that just came out to make up for it.

Heres my question. Im going to order the S2's and GSC's beehive springs and intall them. On their site it says "these cams can run on stock ecu with custom flashing" of course i plan on getting the car tuned after but will I be able to drive the car a couple of hours to get it tuned? Of course I would be milking it the entire way (no boost etc). Or would i have to crudely tweak my tune to make sure things are safe?

-Ethan
Old Oct 21, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

bump for thoughts?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

I see nothing wrong with driving it out of boost to get it tuned. Maybe do a little log before you go just to make sure. Those are the cams im going with and waiting for my fp red its a killer combo
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

I am also in the same situation, i have a Fpgreen but cant decide on S1's or S2's i have searched and couldnt find it but does anyone have a dyno graph overlapping S1's and S2's. Has anyone upgraded only the cams from S1's to S2's and have a graph of both to show the difference.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 01:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know of anyone that's done that S1 to S2 upgrade and posted results
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

So i was speaking to a friend today that seems to really like the HKS 272's....

Any thoughts on these versus the S2's? I understand they are a little less agressive but a well rounded cam. Also seems like there are quite a few for sale relativly cheap.

-Ethan
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:43 PM
Evolving Member

hks 272 are a waste of money you will see much better gains with S2s, i have the new grind 274 278 and love them
Old Oct 25, 2009, 07:00 PM

go big or go home, get the s2's. I am planning on getting some this spring
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

I didnt want to delete so people could see...but the information below is outdated if you go with the new grind s series cams from GSC. Check their website for current infomraiton on all of their products at ---->http://www.gscmotorsports.com/

Ok so I just read the description on GSC's Website again for the S2's I feel like It has been changed.

The S2 cams are designed for those with a GT35R-GT4067 Turbo. No low end power is lost vs the stock cams when used with the larger turbo. The S2 cams will show gains of 50-70whp over the stock cams and in some cases more in the higher RPMS. Great for 2.0L engines revving to 9000rpms or for Stroker motors revving to 8000rpms. The S2 Cams require upgraded valve springs (check out GSC’s Chro-Molly Retainers and single valve spring kit for a perfect upgrade to your valve train). Designed for a rev range of 4000-9000 RPMS(2.0L or 3000-8000 2.2L+), 500-700whp applications. Not suggested for smaller stock appearing turbo setups. S2 cams can run on Factory ECU with custom flashing.

It now recomends the Chro-Molly retainers and spring kit instead of the beehive ones and also says Not suggested for smaller stock appearing turbo setups much like the FP Green and Red etc etc...

This is making me want to go the S1 route now. Even though i was planning on possibly picking up a red later on down the road....

Last edited by ethan169; Oct 28, 2009 at 05:43 AM. Reason: old info
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

You will love the S2's. I drove on mine untuned for a day or so before mellon tuned the car. What we saw was, in the lower rpms the S2's gave slightly higher hp and trq #'s but the the real impressive part was, where the curve headed south with the stock cams the S2's continued to rise. The trq was almost flat and hp was about 60 hp higher by 8k rpms.

Just my .02.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by newbieEVO8
You will love the S2's. I drove on mine untuned for a day or so before mellon tuned the car. What we saw was, in the lower rpms the S2's gave slightly higher hp and trq #'s but the the real impressive part was, where the curve headed south with the stock cams the S2's continued to rise. The trq was almost flat and hp was about 60 hp higher by 8k rpms.

Just my .02.
That's good to hear! This is what I was looking for. A couple questions for you, what other mods did you have on the car at the time? Stock turbo etc? Also did you get any lope with these guys? (just curious) I like the lopey idle but not nearly as much as a solid flat torque curve
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

I had the basic bolt ons. (ets 4" fmic and pipes, intake, full tbe, fuel pump, mbc) If you dont want much lope just have mellon fix that. I personally liked the lope. Mellon will take very good care of you.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds good thats basically the same as my setup just i dont have aftermarket Front mount. I dont think that will really be a factor until it starts to get heat soaked anyway. I was asking about the lope becasue i also like it... so as long as the car isnt constantly stalling i have no problem with it and enjoy it. I was just curious if they had much lope or not.

Did you run the beehive springs with the S2's? or something else or nothing?

Evo TK - i thought the s2's are 274 274 didnt think there was a 278 unless you get the custom grind s3?

Thanks for the help guys theres a lot of usefull info and experience in here that is really helping me out.

-Ethan
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

ethan, its not the duration that makes the S2's great, its the lift. I ran the dual springs and retainers from BR. I would also get smaller inner diameter valve stem seals. Dual springs can pull the stock valve stem seals off.

Quick Reply: GSC S1 vs. S2 vs. 272