Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which blow-off valve is good for the evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which blow-off valve is good for the evo 8

I am planning on buying a blow-off valve for my evo. I was reading the article from Mach V and it got me thinking now on which one to buy. a recirculating one or vent to atmosphere? Also they said that sometimes there could be a running rich situation where the car might stall with a blow-off valve. I was wondering what kind of blow-off valves do you guys have on your evo and do you have problems with the running rich scenario?

thanks
Old Oct 24, 2003, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

From what I've read on here the one with the least problems is the Greddy Type-S (I think that's the name of it).

Try a SEARCH.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any BOV that is quality made and recircs will be good, in stock form. If you add some sort of fuel management then you can run a VTA BOV. That pretty much leaves your options almost unlimited. Just be sure it can handle the high boost the evo produces, it if cannot or it's near the BOV's borderline, problems will arise.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Gotta say it: SEARCH.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally posted by webguy330i
Gotta say it: SEARCH.
For kicks, YOU try a search on BOV ....
You will get a bizillion hits.
The real problem is that there appears to be just as many as for just about every BOV mentioned.
"Mine works fine", "Mine flutters" , "No problems here", " I use mine as a paperweight now", etc.
The comments are as varied as it gets.

ex-honda - I know you are looking for a useful answer; everybody before you was.
Seems like the only thing to do is get what you want, for whatever reason you want it,
bend over, grab your socks, and hope for teh best.
If you're lucky, you'll get treated like a lady. If not,
Old Oct 24, 2003, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

yeah people who say "search" are **** who dont know the answer
Old Oct 24, 2003, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just do a trial and error. But one thing though, I sure don't want my evo to "stutter" or stall because of the BOV because it would make the evo look bad.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

people who say search are the smart people who are tired of answering the same questions.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by the evo wins
yeah people who say "search" are **** who dont know the answer
Now, now ... let's play nice.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

The question that's not being asked: Why are you replacing the stock BOV? Are you boosting 21+ psi? If not, you don't need to replace it. The stock one works fine. Everyone is quick to knock the stock one, but until you are running serious boost, leave the thing alone. If you want the big "whhooossh" sound, just get an open-element air filter (RMR, HKS, Buschur, ad nauseum). Good luck.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by clappton
people who say search are the smart people who are tired of answering the same questions.
If you are that tired, then don't post at all.
They are just a waste of bandwidth and storage space.
If the thread is redundant, eventually the moderator will merge it or kill it.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

This guy was warned in another post about telling someone to search, but in much harsher terms. Dude, if you don't want to read the same posts as always, DON'T READ THEM. I personally like to check to see if someone has a new angle on something...
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

I went with the Forge Motorsports recicluating valve. According to Dan (who owns the rediculous Vivid Racing EVO VIII), he used a atmospheric BOV and said it sucked and he recommended the Forge recirculating valve...I went with that and I must say it has been the best investment so far IMHO...I hold boost pressure up to redline now. I dyno chart in Import Tuner (June or July of 2003) will attest to the stock unit losing boost pressure around 6,000 rpms. The atmospheric sounds cool as poo, but it idled really funny, almost to the point that the car stalled, and there is a louder swooshing sound (compared to stock) with the Forge recirclutating valve...Hope this helps...
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't understnad how one can say a VTA vs. recirc is better or visa versa... It's all about tuning, the valves job is to stay closed while the vehicle is under load (on the gas) and open to release pressurized air then close when the throttle blade is closed... SAME JOB... Only advantage that a VTA has over a recirc is that you may gain a few horses from reducing the turbulance(excess dumped air) from the inlet pipe as well as being able to completely remove the dump tube, I believe aftermarket inlet pipes do not contain dump tubes but only contain the fitting. Plus VTA BOV's make the really cool noise that makes people jump However if you are planning on running propane injection DO NOT use a VTA BOV!!! I wouldn't even use a VTA BOV if I was running alky injection, I don't want that stuff all over my motor.
Hopefully that helped a bit.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

I use a 1G BOV and it works great........it holds the boost

Quick Reply: Which blow-off valve is good for the evo 8