Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Polydyn or Tech Line coating?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polydyn or Tech Line coating?

I'm wanting to get a downpipe ceramic coated. There are two local places in my area. One is Polydyn (http://www.polydyn.com/headers_and_exhaust.htm).

This is the info on their site: PolyDyn Performance Ceramic Coatings are the most notable of the coatings. PolyDyn Ceramic Coatings are polymer composites with insulating ceramics designed to significantly reduce heat transfer and saturation. PolyDyn Ceramics are effective on cylinder heads, valve faces, intake mainiolfd, piston, headers and exhaust.
I'm not sure what coating they are using.

The other place is HIS Power Coating (http://www.hispowdercoating.com). They use Tech Line Coatings (http://www.techlinecoatings.com/hi-p...-coatings.html) of which I think I would be interested in the "Turbo X" coating. May also consider the MCS Insulating coating which per Tech Line, "Use under any TECH LINE exhaust system coating to increase the temperature that the top coating can withstand ."

Has anyone used any of these coatings?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've tried the coatings on previous vehicles and I don't think they do much if anything. For a downpipe Why not just use some header wrap? I've found that to work best for me and I hot lap the crap out of my car.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used the Techline Turbo X coating. It has cured and held up very well and looks like new, although the car has not been driven an extended period of time with the latest exhaust parts on it, so I cannot give you a long term durability test.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
But this is a downpipe. No one will see it and it will probably be exposed to rocks and weather.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I didn't think ceramic coatings did much myself...except that I had a ceramic coated downpipe which got very hot. Some of the ceramic started peeling off. So I touched that part (after it was cool enough) and it was significantly hotter than the part with ceramic coating.

If you want a good ceramic coating, I'd choose SwainTech myself.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I didn't think ceramic coatings did much myself...except that I had a ceramic coated downpipe which got very hot. Some of the ceramic started peeling off. So I touched that part (after it was cool enough) and it was significantly hotter than the part with ceramic coating.

If you want a good ceramic coating, I'd choose SwainTech myself.
I prefer a local place so I'm going with one of these two. Looks like Tech Line has one vote of approval.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
http://www.hpcoatings.com/am/product...t_extreme.aspx I've had it on my full exhaust, and turbo manifold since I've got them, about 2 1/2 years. I have a small nick in my downpipe and that's it. Here is some new stuff from them, that I have not tried yet too... http://www.hpcoatings.com/am/product...ucts_nano.aspx
Old Jan 4, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

HIS Coating replied back and told me they use or also use www.columbiacoatings.com

I'm waiting to hear clarification of they offer both Tech Line and Columbia Coatings. Has anyone heard of them (http://www.columbiacoatings.com/category_s/7.htm)?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use the Polydyne..I had my RX-7 manifold and turbo hotside coated with it..I could touch the turbo bare handed after adjusting the idle air and letting it run for 30 mins. Now mind you not full on GRAB the turbo but pat it with fintgers like testing a hot surface. do that on and uncoated turbo fingers will be overdone hotdogs.

Oh yes the poly gets into the metal not just a surface coating. even if you scrape it off (good luck) it is still in the metal.

Last edited by Murf; Jan 5, 2010 at 06:33 AM. Reason: extra info.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Murf
Use the Polydyne..I had my RX-7 manifold and turbo hotside coated with it..I could touch the turbo bare handed after adjusting the idle air and letting it run for 30 mins. Now mind you not full on GRAB the turbo but pat it with fintgers like testing a hot surface. do that on and uncoated turbo fingers will be overdone hotdogs.

Oh yes the poly gets into the metal not just a surface coating. even if you scrape it off (good luck) it is still in the metal.
Thanks for your suggestion. I haven't seen anyone use Columbia Coatings and the guys has been very helpful as well as replying to my emails the same day. I really value good customer service. Polydyn is near my home, probably less than 10 miles, but I'll make the drive, about 42 miles, based on the service. I haven't heard anything from Polydyn and I've filled out their site contact request form twice. Maybe it's broken. I may try HIS Coatings for the down pipe and also as a test of Columbia coatings ceramic so I can provide my review for everyone here as a possible quality alternative. The contact at HIS Coatings said he has used Techline but prefers Columbia Coatings based on past experience. If I get anything else that I want Ceramic coated I'll try Polydyn.

Thanks for all responses and I'll update later. I'm not too picky on color but is anyone interested in seeing a certain color for grins (http://www.columbiacoatings.com/category_s/7.htm)? It's a down pipe so is not like it's going to be visible anyway. I'm was thinking either cast iron or satin blue or titanium.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

One last question. Is it necessary or preferred to get the inside of the downpipe coated as well? Can it even be done right with the length and bends? Just wondering if the insight not being coated will cause that surface to experience increased heat and failure. Not sure if it matters much with Stainless steel. Is the Works downpipe coated only on the outside?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the polydyne is inside and out..goes on like powdercoat.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

You need to ask the company what type of coating it actually is, i use a place in central texas called cradin industries......they have heat dispersant coatings and heat retention coatings, along with the new zirconium coatings....they do aircraft parts and hard core race parts, for prostock teams and such.

That was a lengthy run-on also!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Dropped off downpipe

Is it okay to coat the flange if the coating is applied flat or will this just lead to possible issues with getting a good seal?

I'll post pics of titanium coating when I pick it up.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Murf
the polydyne is inside and out..goes on like powdercoat.
I got an email from Polydyn and was told they try their best to coat the inside but are limited as it is applied with an airbrush. So yeah they do coat the inside but depending on length and bends they cannot coat the entire inside as they don't seem to sound like they have an specialized tool for this. They also told me they use their own blend of ceramic coat. They have a really nice gold coating. Just including this for some that may be interested in trying Polydyn. I already went with the other local vendor to try out his work. He is a very nice older man who is a retired police officer and talked to me about coating for a few minutes when I dropped off the part.

Quick Reply: Polydyn or Tech Line coating?