Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can the balance shafts be removed with motor in car

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the balance shafts be removed with motor in car

I want to delete my balance shafts when i do my timing belt however i dont know if this is possible with the motor still in the car has anyone done this any information would help thanks
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

it can be done with the engine in the car! i did it but let me tell you that u will spend another 6 hours removing the balance shafts.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

wow that is a lot of extra time any tips or tricks? what eliminator kit did you use?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can be done..huge Pain in the Butt if you do not have a lift. Use the AMS race kit. The real hard thing about doing it with the motor in is removing and installing the new bearings to cover the oil passages on that side of the engine.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:26 AM
Former Sponsor

It's a bit of a job to do in the car but it can be done with the proper tools. Honestly I would not worry about removing them until you have your short block built unless one of your balance shafts has some issues.

You would need to pull the front cover (oil pumps assembly) and drop the oil pan to do the job. It would require some gaskets too. I would also reccommend that the front balance shaft to be turned down smooth and re-installed to support the oil pump drive gear assembly.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

well i was planning on doing this when i change my timing belt that way most of the teardown is already done
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Its a lot more work on top of a timing belt job.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Like everyone said, yes it can be done but it is NOT fun at all and is a pain in the ***. Good luck.

Aaron
Old Jan 22, 2010, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ilikeppie
well i was planning on doing this when i change my timing belt that way most of the teardown is already done
Not even halfway of the teardown for doing balance shafts. Front cover, oil pan, etc.

Just pull the motor. It would be easier overall.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
Not even halfway of the teardown for doing balance shafts. Front cover, oil pan, etc.

Just pull the motor. It would be easier overall.
It is definately NOT easier to pull the motor than doing the balance shafts in the car. It is almost just as hard to remove the trans alone as the B/S eliminator. Now doing the balance shafts is a good 12hours work and if you dont have a lift it is a PAIN IN THE ***. Still not nearly as hard as removing the engine.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

any body that has done this with the motor in the car do they have any tips or tricks?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

be patient, get some long extensions and assorted sockets to remove and install bearings, get a shower cap and goggles to keep the dripping oil from engine out of your eyes and hair.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Quoting Road Race Engineering:

Balance Shaft Eliminator Kit
Includes a new oil pump stub shaft, inserts for blocking oil flow to where the old bearings were, and a seal for the front balance shaft. Removing the balance shafts will free up 8-12 Hp.

Good:
More HP to the wheels
Zero chance the B-Belt will fail and kill the timing belt
Zero chance the balance shaft bearings will fail and damage the rest of the motor
More oil pressure to the rest of the motor

Bad:
More vibration is felt in side the car (no more is made, just more is felt)
Every car is different, some motors are more balanced than others. It is no worse that any other 2.0 liter car with out balance shafts

Ugly:
To install the kit, you will need to also remove the entire oil pump assy to gain access to the balance shafts. You need to knock out the balance shaft bearings and press in the new bearing shell with the oil hole blocked off. To get the balance shafts out you need to remove the DP, oil pan, the transfer case and drop the motor down by removing two motor mounts and loosening the other two. Even if you are already doing a timing belt, there is still lots of additional work, but they do come with instructions. You will also need the oil pump gasket and the oil filter housing gasket for your year vehicle. The oil pan goes back on with grey silicone. It is a full weekend job laying under the car with oil dripping on your face for the average guy doing it at home with the motor in the car

Credit goes to RRE.. I hope this help answer all your questions.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 07:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by batty200
It is definately NOT easier to pull the motor than doing the balance shafts in the car. It is almost just as hard to remove the trans alone as the B/S eliminator. Now doing the balance shafts is a good 12hours work and if you dont have a lift it is a PAIN IN THE ***. Still not nearly as hard as removing the engine.
pulling the motor out is be easier then doing the balance shaft removal in the car IMO. even without a lift it isn't so bad.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

A lot of people just stub the shaft in the oil pump for earlier gen 4g63's can we safely do that with the evo or do we have to have like the ams shaft?

Quick Reply: Can the balance shafts be removed with motor in car