Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok thanks, so once i get a front lsd and rear I hope I can handle as well as any 9. from there on its all driver
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:00 PM

bump would love to see reviews from anyone with a carbonetics
Old May 6, 2012, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by evoxdreamz
ok thanks, so once i get a front lsd and rear I hope I can handle as well as any 9. from there on its all driver
there are some advantages to ACD, especially now that it can be programmed, and can work well in conjunction with a rear diff. in the end though, i doubt you're losing much
Old May 8, 2012, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

got a question for you guys - it's not the rear diff, but in normal driving on very tight turns i notice that my inside front tire spins - the trans and t-case were built by shep last year but i'm not sure they touched the front lsd. thoughts?
Old May 9, 2012, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Like when turning right from a stop light? I guess I'm having trouble picturing a scenario in normal driving where you would be accellerating hard out of a very tight turn.

The normal front diff (sometimes called the RS diff) is a helical style and there is nothing a shop can do to make it "work" any better. There are a few things that can be done to make it stronger, though. If you get near 100% weight transfer and your inside front tire does not have much traction, then the helical diff basically acts as an open diff and your inside front tire will start to spin. I don't see how you could really be doing this in "normal" driving, though . . .
Old May 9, 2012, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Like when turning right from a stop light? I guess I'm having trouble picturing a scenario in normal driving where you would be accellerating hard out of a very tight turn.

The normal front diff (sometimes called the RS diff) is a helical style and there is nothing a shop can do to make it "work" any better. There are a few things that can be done to make it stronger, though. If you get near 100% weight transfer and your inside front tire does not have much traction, then the helical diff basically acts as an open diff and your inside front tire will start to spin. I don't see how you could really be doing this in "normal" driving, though . . .
normal driving - literally at a stop light, pulling out of driveway, etc, 90 degree turn, or like a u-turn, i can hear the tire sh-sh-sh-sh on the road. not EVERY time though, but that's why i'm wondering if it's broken. don't need to really be accelerating a lot for it to happen
Old May 9, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
normal driving - literally at a stop light, pulling out of driveway, etc, 90 degree turn, or like a u-turn, i can hear the tire sh-sh-sh-sh on the road. not EVERY time though, but that's why i'm wondering if it's broken. don't need to really be accelerating a lot for it to happen
Are you sure it's the front tires? Sounds like the rear binding up from the stiff diff. Seems normal for a tight rear diff on slow tight corners.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Are you sure it's the front tires? Sounds like the rear binding up from the stiff diff. Seems normal for a tight rear diff on slow tight corners.
^ this.

Kyoo. When you car is cold. Make the corner you're talking about and pay attention to what it sounds like.

Then go drive a few miles on the freeway and make a similar turn.

Sound different?

If so it's your rear diff.
Old May 9, 2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by kyoo
there are some advantages to ACD, especially now that it can be programmed, and can work well in conjunction with a rear diff. in the end though, i doubt you're losing much
Nice! thanks alot... I'd rather sell my 03 and get an 05+ if it were a really big advantage but if these 2 combos work then I see no point in wasting time/money
Old May 11, 2012, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by meckert
So, did the weir install last weekend., 8 disc. All is well, using amzoil. The rear end popped and clicked and jittered around corners. Added LSD fluid and that seemed to take care of everything except the jitter around corners. Thinking I need to move to diaqueen oem. Questions is--for those using the daiqueen, does the car get a slight vibration ie jitter around corners as the clutches slip at low speed around corners or does this go away with oem--? Just those who know for a fact pls. Have to buy diaqueen by the gallon, and its too expensive to guess.
For those that care-- Finally just bought Diaqueen and just put it in this morning. Took it for a spin-- So, this is the stuff, No other additives. No jittering around corners no other noise, a lot less noise on deceleration-- Just what I was looking for. Now, I like Amsoil and have used it everywhere--have to say that nothing comapres to OEM with the clutch job done on the rear end though.
Old May 11, 2012, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
For those that care-- Finally just bought Diaqueen and just put it in this morning. Took it for a spin-- So, this is the stuff, No other additives. No jittering around corners no other noise, a lot less noise on deceleration-- Just what I was looking for. Now, I like Amsoil and have used it everywhere--have to say that nothing comapres to OEM with the clutch job done on the rear end though.
Glad you got it sorted out. I agree, Diaqueen is good stuff for the street.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting, let us know how it is after 1000 miles or so.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:57 AM

my car came ayc but can handle launching and violet power slide
so now am pack t.m.e rs setup with cusco 1.5 lsd
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found a video that gives a really good demonstration of how well TRE's diff works... hope this isn't a repost. http://vimeo.com/6554681

enjoy.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

It looks like the car is just being brutally man-handled and there is still bad understeer. Hard to tell really when someone drives like that - yuk!

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here