Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Yeah that is very strange. I know fluids will have an impact on the amount of lockup but regardless the difference from the stock diff and the TRE beast mode diff is night and day.

Did you purchase it directly from Jon? Hopefully someone didn't try and pull a fast one on you...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes, I purchased directly from Jon. Because I couldn't have the car on jack stands in the garage where I store my car, I opted the option to give him my stock diff and in exchange for a complete rebuilt diff that he had in stock. It has the sight glass with the entire pumplin coated black, so I will check the oil level first (hope the shop that did the install didn't f it up, should have checked in retrospect).

Now, unless there are too Jon Ripple.........
Old Sep 23, 2014, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by white_turbo
Thanks. My plan is to switch out the Diaqueen stuff and put in Redline 80W140 GL-5 to see if there would be any difference.

Would the 75W 140 NS GL-5 work for maximum lock-up? (not to be confused with the regular 75W 140, which has friction modifiers in them)
the 75w140 NS GL-5 is one of my secret weapons,. For track purposes I love how much more aggressive the lockup gets with it. It does make the rear diff really noisy though. Im still unsure about long term effects of using though. If your not regularly tracking it and needing that extra lock up then I just say stick to the oem stuff.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
the 75w140 NS GL-5 is one of my secret weapons,. For track purposes I love how much more aggressive the lockup gets with it. It does make the rear diff really noisy though. Im still unsure about long term effects of using though. If your not regularly tracking it and needing that extra lock up then I just say stick to the oem stuff.
Thanks.

Talked to Jon yesterday, he also confirmed the NS oil is "OK", but just keeping in mind that it will get noisy and has less protection that the others. The car doesn't see street driving anymore, so the only time it will be on the street is when I go to and from events.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 05:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I have a TRE rear diff and get significant gear noise from the rear on decel, but nothing on acceleration or neutral throttle. The diff has a season of track/autocross and has always been this way since getting it back. Do you think it's just the R&P wear pattern, or possibly something going wrong?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I have a TRE rear diff and get significant gear noise from the rear on decel, but nothing on acceleration or neutral throttle. The diff has a season of track/autocross and has always been this way since getting it back. Do you think it's just the R&P wear pattern, or possibly something going wrong?
That sounds like you have non-stock bushings to me, not anything wrong with the diff. Mine started doing the same thing when I changed the mustache bushings.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by fantrman
That sounds like you have non-stock bushings to me, not anything wrong with the diff. Mine started doing the same thing when I changed the mustache bushings.
this. had to get rid of mine cuz it was so bad
Old Oct 5, 2014, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyoo
this. had to get rid of mine cuz it was so bad
so the shift clunk is a lot less annoying?

cause that crap gets on my nerves.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wjamyers
so the shift clunk is a lot less annoying?

cause that crap gets on my nerves.
acd tune got rid of that for me. what this gets rid of is that low speed jerking in first gear if u let go of the throttle too abruptly
Old Oct 5, 2014, 04:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by fantrman
Oh good. Yes, Energy Suspension and Whiteline on nearly every suspension and diff bushing on my Evo. The noise doesn't bother me given how I use the car.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

I talked to Jon at TRE today and chose the options I wanted:

- shot peening of ring & pinion and spider gearset
- MAX-LOCK UPGRADE w/ 12 NEW FRICTION DISCS
- new rear cover with oil sight glass
- heavy duty billet side cover

He invoiced me and said it will ship tomorrow if I go home and paypal him tonight.

He said he had one more ready to go right now in case anyone else is interested!

Now, should I get the Energy Suspension black bushings so I can do the install all together?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

I talked to Jon at TRE today and chose the options I wanted:

- shot peening of ring & pinion and spider gearset
- MAX-LOCK UPGRADE w/ 12 NEW FRICTION DISCS
- new rear cover with oil sight glass
- heavy duty billet side cover

He invoiced me and said it will ship tomorrow if I go home and paypal him tonight.

He said he had one more ready to go right now in case anyone else is interested!

Now, should I get the Energy Suspension black bushings so I can do the install all together?
congrats! nvh will go up, it's just up to you whether or not it's worth it. for me, it wasnt
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

but your experience is with the Cusco. most of the people I see who went with TRE MaxLock and report results seem to be satisfied with the NVH after a while, some even report "none to speak of".

and that clunk really bugs me.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i have the buschur billet mounts with black energy bushings, no rear interior, dynamatted the rear seat floor and trunk, but stock rear diff...no noise to complain of whatsoever.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

but your experience is with the Cusco. most of the people I see who went with TRE MaxLock and report results seem to be satisfied with the NVH after a while, some even report "none to speak of".

and that clunk really bugs me.
that's right, the whine was the problem for me, unbearable around 65-75mph

no clunk for me with the acd tune & stock bushings

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here