Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

SES flashing after/during WOT

Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SES flashing after/during WOT

After I got my tune I was heading back home and me and another evo lined up on the instate for a few pulls. First one the evo ran great spiked up to about 23psi and I pulled away...we go a little ways and line it up again and my evo acts like it doesn't want to go past 5k and the SES starts flashing. I shift to nuetral and coast to a stop and turn the car off. I popped the hood and my headers are glowing bright orange....really bright. I start it back up and let it cool off and the light stops flashing. I turned my boost back down to like 20 psi and drove the rest of the way home babying her. I figured that my old BOV wasn't holding the boost and I had my boost controller turned up to high.

Fast forward to yesterday. I installed my IX BOV and turned her up to 24 psi. Felt awesome spooling up, even made the tires break loose when I was taking a curve....it was awesome. I pull off from a light heading slighly up hill and get on it and go thru 1st 2nd and 3rd and then shift to fourth and let off. I look down and SES is flashing again. I pulled over and let her run until the light stopped flashing then continued on the rest of the day at 22lbs with no issues....

So why the flashing light? I was thinking of doing a boost leak test, maybe I have a small leak somewhere and I'm hitting the right PSI because I have it turned up so much? I'm kind of lost here
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The flashing SES light is usually telling you that your engine is knocking. Tuners will sometimes tune your car this way to show you knock.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by churbo
After I got my tune I was heading back home and me and another evo lined up on the instate for a few pulls. First one the evo ran great spiked up to about 23psi and I pulled away...we go a little ways and line it up again and my evo acts like it doesn't want to go past 5k and the SES starts flashing. I shift to nuetral and coast to a stop and turn the car off. I popped the hood and my headers are glowing bright orange....really bright. I start it back up and let it cool off and the light stops flashing. I turned my boost back down to like 20 psi and drove the rest of the way home babying her. I figured that my old BOV wasn't holding the boost and I had my boost controller turned up to high.

Fast forward to yesterday. I installed my IX BOV and turned her up to 24 psi. Felt awesome spooling up, even made the tires break loose when I was taking a curve....it was awesome. I pull off from a light heading slighly up hill and get on it and go thru 1st 2nd and 3rd and then shift to fourth and let off. I look down and SES is flashing again. I pulled over and let her run until the light stopped flashing then continued on the rest of the day at 22lbs with no issues....

So why the flashing light? I was thinking of doing a boost leak test, maybe I have a small leak somewhere and I'm hitting the right PSI because I have it turned up so much? I'm kind of lost here
Your car is running lean if your seeing that much heat in your manifold. Yes, that SES light flashing is doing so because of a high knock count. Contact your tuner ASAP and tell him whats going on, you need a retune. I wouldn't go WOT until you get that sorted, not unless you want to put a new motor in your car.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have been babying her but now I really am going to. Thanks for the quick replies fellas!

Search this Thread