Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How much can I expect to gain from meth?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much can I expect to gain from meth?

The only reasonable power adder I can think of that is in my price range is meth injection. So can anyone give me an estimate on to what kind of awhp I can look forward to? I have a TBE with cat, cone filter, and a tune to 23 psi. I was going to use a 50/50 meth water kit from aem. I wanted to use 100% meth but I hear you have no replace seals and what not.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stay @ 50/50 mix. Meth in itself will not gain you anything, however the higher boost and more aggressive timing you will be able to run bue to the meth will. Depending on what injector size you use and how many. I'm not sure what size the AEM or the others use. You will need a tune to take advantage of this. I don't know how many So. Cal shops have a dyno or use ECUflash but the one that pops up first is Tuning Tech.. Alfred knows his way around UCUflash very well and has awd dyno in his shop. He may tune on the conservitave side for me, but my exp. with them was nothing to complain about. Nice people and nice shop. hope that helps
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:36 PM

Yea I hear good things about Tunning tech and i'll definitly go there I'm just wondering what people est. My hp numbers could reach
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you can expect a pretty kick *** gain with meth. I however disagree with the 50/50. it has been problematic in the past over a prolonged period of time for seals inside pumps to break down. They have since come a long way and 100% meth should have no problem. The benefit to 100% is the actual boost you will get in octane rating. This will allow you to run more timing, more boost and overall more aggressive then you would be able to on pump gas, especially out in california. 50/50 is a good median because the water will allow for better cooling, this works well on top mount Subarus where heat so and higher temps occur. With a front mount cooling that air on an EVO, I would stick with 100% meth and take advantage of the octane boost. You dont have to measure it out and its going to rock. I have been running the Labonte Kit for well over a year with 100% meth and I have had great results.

As far as numbers, I dont know, I have not had the car on the dyno but I can tell you that it is a completely different feeling car when its on the Juice...
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
it depends on how much boost you end up running..obviously. if your at 23psi now, with 50/50 you will prob end up running around 27-28psi if your tuning goes right. most people pick up at least 30hp with meth on a stock turbo. meth is actually a very cost effective upgrade. on my 04 w/ stock turbo, tbe, airfilter and 23psi, i picked up 40whp by adding IC and piping, 272 cams and a ported ex mani at same boost. this cost me almost 2grand including tuning. you could probably pick up that same power for half the $ with a meth kit and tuning. you run some extra risks with the meth however...high boost, meth system failure/maintenance, added cost of replenishing ur meth supply, etc...do some reading to find a more detailed list of pros and cons
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its a good point to consider possible failures. The Labonte Failsystem is a good option or anything that will allow a boost bypass solenoid which will kick over to wastegate pressure. A low level LED indicator should be considered.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can see my numbers in my sig. 405 wtq feels pretty good and im on stock cams. I say go for it, just buy a quality kit.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:43 PM

The kit I have been looking at is AEM as it is pretty much the only one I can afford haha. Put is it safe to run 100% meth on a near stock motor? Do I have to worry about seals? Or is the best/safest/less maintanemce way to go is 50/50?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
yea id stick with the 50/50...especially for a daily driver w/ oem head studs...some will argue running more than 20psi on stock head studs is dangerous...but we wont start that debate. if u wanna run meth on a stock motor, keep it under 30 psi for sure. plus, methanol has a very low density...much lower than water, and it will find its way thru every crevice in your reservoir/pump/lines. so by keeping it 50/50 you may prolong the life of ur kit's components. check out the labonte kit...ive heard good things about it and i think its about the same price as the aem.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I run a Snow Performance kit, and have no issue with it. I have the bypass and warning lights, so there is a fail safe ...of sorts.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

i wouldnt go 50/50 its not always as accurate. go with something thats going to be a constant like 100% meth thats what i run most bang out of a meth kit. but if your going to need to be tuned again so id just a do a nice cam with a tune. i think that would net you about the same. just my opnion
Old Feb 3, 2010, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I went from 344whp and 319wtq to 380whp and 392wtq after adding 50/50 meth. I also added a ported intake manifold and 65mm Tb though. I picked up a lot of torque and some hp. I went from 21psi to 30psi. Labonte has good stuff and its reasonable.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

If your not careful a blown motor.

Not a fan of meth, though it does work well when used correctly.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
also not a fan

isn't it corrosive btw?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
If your not careful a blown motor.

Not a fan of meth, though it does work well when used correctly.
Very true. I would not run one without fail safes. But even fail safes can fail. Not typical though. You can melt a motor if your fuel pump fails also.

Quick Reply: How much can I expect to gain from meth?