Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Does Boost Blow the motor?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Yes I can make my stock turbo hold 23psi to peak power (had it out to 7600) between playing with how the WG arm is, the BCS, and MIVEC. AS airflow drops so does torque, as torque drops so does power. A small turbo doesnt supply enough air. You are using the term VE to mean the basic principle of CFM I think. So even though it is holding the boost out to redline (we have one car that we tweaked and held 25psi to 8k on a stock IX turbo) it doesnt make power because there isnt enough cubic feet per minute flow.

CFM is far more than VE though. If it were that simple that would mean I need really efficient aero and keep the VE and charge cool to make the same power on any setup. VE doesnt apply to a turbo the same as it does the engine. We have adabiatic efficiency (following the Ideal Gas law), inducer/exducer size, and the air mass a turbo is capable of moving. The air mass (in lbs/min) is the function of VE vs CFM. How much air gets sucked in versus how much mass after compression is available for the engine to use and at what temperature.

To add one more turbo to the mix, the 4202 on our drag cars makes about 600whp (632 is the highest I seem to remember) at 23psi on a 2.0l. It is making that boost level before a stock turbo car would reach peak power. The compressor is physically larger, that is why CFM has gone up not the turbine size/backpressure ratio. Stock IX turbos are 48mm I think? The 3586 is low 60s, the 4202 is 74mm so at a given pressure ratio there is more mass being compressed.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Feb 12, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crcain
John, you say CFM, but the only reason CFM improves is because VE has improved due to the less restrictive exhaust side. Also the lower charge temps. In your 140 whp going from stock turbo to 3586, are you saying the boost at peak HP was the same as well as RPM?
It's true that larger turbos have a less restrictive hot sides and allow better exhaust gas flow....

It's true that larger turbos are more efficient at higher boost levels and produce lower charge temps...

But you're still missing the key reason why a larger turbo at the same boost makes more power, it's purely because there's a much bigger wheel pushing more air threw a bigger STRAW! More Air Flow!
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Yes I can make my stock turbo hold 23psi to peak power (had it out to 7600) between playing with how the WG arm is, the BCS, and MIVEC. AS airflow drops so does torque, as torque drops so does power. A small turbo doesnt supply enough air. You are using the term VE to mean the basic principle of CFM I think. So even though it is holding the boost out to redline (we have one car that we tweaked and held 25psi to 8k on a stock IX turbo) it doesnt make power because there isnt enough cubic feet per minute flow.

CFM is far more than VE though. If it were that simple that would mean I need really efficient aero and keep the VE and charge cool to make the same power on any setup. VE doesnt apply to a turbo the same as it does the engine. We have adabiatic efficiency (following the Ideal Gas law), inducer/exducer size, and the air mass a turbo is capable of moving. The air mass (in lbs/min) is the function of VE vs CFM. How much air gets sucked in versus how much mass after compression is available for the engine to use and at what temperature.

To add one more turbo to the mix, the 4202 on our drag cars makes about 600whp (632 is the highest I seem to remember) at 23psi on a 2.0l. It is making that boost level before a stock turbo car would reach peak power. The compressor is physically larger, that is why CFM has gone up not the turbine size/backpressure ratio. Stock IX turbos are 48mm I think? The 3586 is low 60s, the 4202 is 74mm so at a given pressure ratio there is more mass being compressed.
+1 - Very well said...
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Im no engineer but if i take a 5857 on 25psi and stock turbo on 25psi on the same car i am for sure running much faster on 5857 guaranteed.. NO QUESTION about it..

Mike
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

John I might be wrong about the differences being nominal, but I think your theory of why a stock turbo doesn't make power at 23 psi up top is because it can't supply enough air is absolutely off target.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Im no engineer but if i take a 5857 on 25psi and stock turbo on 25psi on the same car i am for sure running much faster on 5857 guaranteed.. NO QUESTION about it..

Mike
Mike, nobody has said that isn't true. I simply said the differences were nominal. For example, you take a completely stock Evo, throw on a 35r, and the differences boost for boost to the stock turbo will be very small. Of course if yuo have a wild cam, race setup, the limitation of the stock turbo will become more apparent and the need for a larger turbo will be greater.

That said, my points about the WHY in this debate are true I believe. The only reason the larger turbo makes more power is because VE has been improved becuase of a less restrictive hot side and also because of lower charge temps because of a more efficient comrpessor wheel.... NOT because the stock turbo is pushing boost but not CFM.

Two motors with the same VE and boost pressure = same airflow.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

So even though it is holding the boost out to redline (we have one car that we tweaked and held 25psi to 8k on a stock IX turbo) it doesnt make power because there isnt enough cubic feet per minute flow.
It's not because the stock turbo isn't supplying enough air. It's because the VE of the motor is BAD because of a very restrictive turbine housing choking things up. The compressor has nothing to do with it provided it's operating in it's efficiency range.

The compressor is physically larger, that is why CFM has gone up not the turbine size/backpressure ratio. Stock IX turbos are 48mm I think? The 3586 is low 60s, the 4202 is 74mm so at a given pressure ratio there is more mass being compressed.
Increasing the size of the compressor only reduces charge temps and the maximum possible boost while still being efficient.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor

First off, if you have two identical cars, but one is running a stock turbo, and the other is running a 35r. And both run the same boost, there will be VERY LITTLE difference between the two cars speed wise. The 35r car will make a tiny bit more power boost for boost because of improvements in VE due to less exhaust back pressure, and also a slightly cooler inlet charge due to improved compressor efficiency. But these gains are minor.

The biggest gain you will see from going to a larger turbo is that you can run higher boost levels more efficiently. The stock turbo simple cannot run 30 psi very efficiently, and it bleeds down if you do hit that boost. A 35r can run 30 psi efficiently and hold it. Not to mention you will really see gains for boost levels over 30 psi.

The biggest stress on an engine, if you forget about a bad tune and detonation, is the inertial forces from RPM. The mechanical forces from combustion are not as strong as the inertial forces created when a piston has to stop, accelerate, stop, etc.

Larger turbos generally will give you more top end, and therefore, your likely to want more rpm from a larger turbo, especially if you are on a 2l and large turbo, where you might not be making full boost until 6k rpm.

Anyway, all food for thought. Nothing to be afraid of in terms of boost. But the tune needs to be safe, and don't push a turbo beyond it's efficiency. That means make sure as you add boost while tuning, you are making sure the car is going faster. If you add boost and don't go faster, then you're running too much boost.
I based my opinion off this statement.. I didnt see stock car or anything else.. I read identical cars..

Id consider 7-10 mph in the 1/4 mile much more than minimal..

Mike
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

It's not because the stock turbo isn't supplying enough air. It's because the VE of the motor is BAD because of a very restrictive turbine housing choking things up. The compressor has nothing to do with it provided it's operating in it's efficiency range.

Increasing the size of the compressor only reduces charge temps and the maximum possible boost while still being efficient.
Thats pretty interesting.. Larger compressors only do those 2 things.. Good to know..

Mike
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Thats pretty interesting.. Larger compressors only do those 2 things.. Good to know..

Mike
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:39 PM
Account Disabled

it's pretty common for my customers to max out a evo9 turbo 400awhp at 30psi on e85, they can swap in a 35R and make the same 400awhp at 20psi and do it on 93 octane.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Im going to try a Box Fan on my RS next.. See if i can pull some 12's...

Mike
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can we get back to weither its the boost that blows the motor or tq&hp?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
Can we get back to weither its the tq tha blows the motor or boost?
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you..._a_cars_engine
Old Feb 12, 2010, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
it's pretty common for my customers to max out a evo9 turbo 400awhp at 30psi on e85, they can swap in a 35R and make the same 400awhp at 20psi and do it on 93 octane.
That surprises me... because if you look at track times, your average 35r runs 10.0, and your average IX turbo runs 11.0. And the 35R is normally running about 35 psi, and the IX turbo around 28 bleeding to 22 psi.