Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ACD Tuning Options - USDM CT9As, Read!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ECUFlash guys have been working on getting the ECUFLash program to read the ACD ECU so while there is no pre-packaged way to do it yet they have basically disassembled the ACD ECU.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-ecuflash.html
Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by MR.O
My question is, are these shops telling to send you unit in b/c they want to keep this information and process protected, or is there something about flashing the acd that it can't be flashed by a owner them selves? Can you write to a acd yet using current knowledge?
i think what it is is that they have the technology to write with it - but i heard we learned how to read acd recently, and maybe soon enough we'll be able to write it on our own
Old Apr 17, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The Cyber EVO guys in Japan have the software and hardware for sale to reflash it yourself, but it's all in Japanese. . .
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

lame! but I think I'd prefer something preprogrammed anyway.. I don't know what the best set up for lock I'd prefer is lol
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I got back from an autox today, all I can say is wow! I had planned to try out the diff with all 3 acd settings to see how they would behave. I started off with the Race setting and after seeing how it working wonderfuly I left it in that setting throughout the day.
The car felt much more neutral with my new setup. My fastest time of the day was a 57.822. I beleive I was fastest in my class, but official results wont be posted for a few days. I was also faster than any of the sti's out that day,.I got my fastest time of the day on my last run of the day.... 23 seconds into the vid is when I get the GO, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThveV7hvZ4

even after almost wiping out I still managed my fastest time of the day. That spin was fast enough to unclamp my cg-lock adapter,haha. The vid doesnt do it justice how sideways I ended up though, but i was able to recover it and still manage a decent run. The car really does feel easy to drive to its limits. Turn in feels improved, less understeer. exiting turns is still just as fun as before--point the wheel where you want to go and floor it.
To people who cant decide on either, or both an aftermarket rear diff and acd flash, I say go for it. I havent regretted getting either.
If you just daily drive your car I dont think I would see a need why you would want a race flash, street flash should be fine if you want something more. I noticed that the race flash,just like the tre diff really becomes noticeable when your really pushing the car--which is something you shouldnt be doing on the street anyhow. It was the same when i was testing out the acd race flash when I first got it. You really cant be on the car hard enough to really notice each settings limits--- imo if you have a race flash and your driving it on the streets to the point where your experiencing the lockup we all talk about, your probably driving like an idiot anyhow. Well, enough of that rant. I guess Im just basically saying that if you really want to see what an acd flash can do, you need to test it out on the track.

Last edited by TommiM; Apr 24, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

awesome - great review - I'm excited to autocross this season as well - similar set up, GruppeS reflash and cusco 1.5 rear
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
awesome - great review - I'm excited to autocross this season as well - similar set up, GruppeS reflash and cusco 1.5 rear
Ya, you should do well with your setup.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

PS did you make any other changes to your set up besides adding Tre's rear diff? I recall from before there was some talk about the lock from Gruppe-S's acd flash being a little too aggressive for turn in for tight corners at auto-x - did the rear diff fix that? and what setting is the rear diff, 1.5 way? I finally got a chance to watch the vid haha, looked good - I thought I saw a lot of power oversteer actually
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
PS did you make any other changes to your set up besides adding Tre's rear diff? I recall from before there was some talk about the lock from Gruppe-S's acd flash being a little too aggressive for turn in for tight corners at auto-x - did the rear diff fix that? and what setting is the rear diff, 1.5 way? I finally got a chance to watch the vid haha, looked good - I thought I saw a lot of power oversteer actually
Thanks. I went from the stock enkeis w/ kuhmo xs to 18x9 enkei rct4 wheels,35mm offset w 255/35 star specs. The star specs I would say made a difference in that overall grip was improved. These tires do help you be more consistent because they dont seem to be as finicky about tire pressures. I was always trying to dial in the pressures on the xs and then just find a compromise. The dunlops liked 37 psi fr, 36 rears so I left them at that.
The rear diff is a 1.5 way. I should give credit to better tires as well. But really the neutral feel I was having is definately credited to the rear diff. One thing I noticed is that we did have a few tight turns where before, I could feel the acd locking a bit when you turned the wheel hard. With the rear diff I did not have any of that, which is the reason I kept it in the Race setting. I cant say for sure until I take it out again when they set up slower turns to give it a full evaluation, but right now I think that maybe the TRE rear diff alleviated alot of that locking issue--but like I said, I need further time with it to see.

Last edited by TommiM; Apr 25, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The locking issue is a PITA. It has an effect on turns much less acute than 90 degrees. I ran Monticello yesterday in the ACDs lowest setting because the binding noises made me wonder if something was going to break.
I had to augment my driving style to fast in, threshold broke to rotate and gingerly push part throttle was not what anyone should want to do.
I am all for the 1.5 way if it would resolve the ACD lockup or is there another fix others have found? I tried LSD oil, different sway bar sttings and nothing has worked.
Ideas???
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not 100% sure if the rear diff will fix this - I haven't been able to test my set up, my cars been pretty much stuck in the garage since August. The one time I took it out I was rear ended (minor) and the car is in a shop now.

Theoretically, there is some merit to this working - the binding should be worst for the rear wheels wanting to go different speeds, and an upgraded rear may really alleviate this problem.

This tight corners binding thing with Gruppe-S' flash is kind of why I started this thread - I am definitely thinking about trying the Ralliart ACD ECU to see if it works any better.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
The locking issue is a PITA. It has an effect on turns much less acute than 90 degrees. I ran Monticello yesterday in the ACDs lowest setting because the binding noises made me wonder if something was going to break.
I had to augment my driving style to fast in, threshold broke to rotate and gingerly push part throttle was not what anyone should want to do.
I am all for the 1.5 way if it would resolve the ACD lockup or is there another fix others have found? I tried LSD oil, different sway bar sttings and nothing has worked.
Ideas???

It could be that my rear diff was enabling the car to rotate much better where the acd wasnt locking up yet, idk. I will definately be at more events so I will be able to give more input on this.
Old May 4, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks

I'm on the verge of purchasing the Ralliart ACD ECU, to see if the lock up is more throttle based rather than whatever the gruppe-s is programmed on. hopefully it will allow for better turn-in/no binding -

here are the links - there's one for evo viii and ct9a, ones $200 more but i'm not quite sure why. anyone interested?

http://www.rhdjapan.com/ralliart-act...ion-viii-54389
http://www.rhdjapan.com/ralliart-act...ecu-ct9a-62492
Old May 4, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those prices you're halfway to a proper end-user-adjustable solution where you can have control over accel and decel tables. Since you're looking to do something that's very different from what Ralliart does (auto-x vs. rally & track), you'll probably find that the 'off the shelf' Ralliart stuff is not what you are looking for.

Rally setups will use aggressive locking because they're designed for use in low traction situations...yes, even at tarmac rallies the grip levels aren't what you'd expect, as rally tires are offered in widths only up to 225. How many 400-600tq cars do you see running around on donuts that small?

Dave
Old May 4, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

True - though those flashes can be ordered in the "circuit" version - are you saying it's going to be fairly similar in terms of lock to the gruppe-s ACD then? if you see some of the above posts (and in the gruppe-s acd flash thread itself) there are some complaints about aggressive lock when it comes to autocrossing/sharp angle/gymkhana like stuff.

to me, it makes sense that the programming would be based on throttle rather than anything else - ie., more throttle, more lock. that's my limited understanding of it, someone who actually knows better can chime in - lol also one of the reasons i dont want to be messing with something i can program myself haha

hopefully, if the ralliart acd is programmed this way, rather than having aggressive lock all the time like the gruppe-s, we can see increased performance for both the autocross/gymkhana and the track. i don't see why the gruppe-s isn't programmed like this in the first place?

Quick Reply: ACD Tuning Options - USDM CT9As, Read!