Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stock to t3 60-1 @ 450 crank?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock to t3 60-1 @ 450 crank?

Guys, had anyone try this combination (specs below)?

Compressor:

60-1 60 trim
.70 a/r housing

Turbine housing:
57mm stage 3 turbine (turbonetics f1 style)
.63 a/r t3 5 bolt housing

Supporting mods...

Engine...
2.5" lower ICP
3" Upper ICP
3" DP to exhaust
custom turbo manifold in equal length
38mm turbonetics wastegate
greddy rs2 bov
bone-stock engine internals (head & block)

Fueling
255 walbro in-tank
680cc
aeromotive FR

Drivetrain...
exedy stage 1 tri-puck clutch set
stcok transmission, TC, RD
set of tein ha's

EMS
Emanage blue.

In my own opinion, going through 20 psi & above with the 16g will definitely give the car an extra pull even at stock internals. Now I'm giving this up & going low with the boost, & at the same time upgrading the horses.

I know my upgrade is cheap but in virtue its worth something rather knocking my internals for an increase of power & quarter times.

Here's what I've decided...I called up garret & turbonetics to built me the trim & a/r of the turbo. Turbonetics has this & rated the 60/57 trim .70 & .63 a/r @ 470 at the crank... Is it possible? In stock internals? I hope it does...

Also, I know that the 60-1 is tremendous in lagg..specially with the .70 a/r. & a larger trim for the compressor. In esscense will the smaller turbine trim eliminate even just a little of the lag? Based on the turbo trim combination of gt garrett, precision, & hks series, they opted to stay within 50-57 trim .50 to .70 for the compressor, & seizing up the turbines rangine from 76 to 1+++ on the trim with larger a/r's as well...

What yah think??? Though these are just my questions to have your opinions about this???

Last edited by mrbooster; Mar 4, 2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

EMB? why not flash the stock ecu? take that extra money saved from the emanage and not having to get a EWG and exh mani and put it to turbo, stock frame style (BBK/Tomei/FP Color spectrum)?

edit: may need bigger injectors?

Last edited by [I.R.A.]_FBi; Mar 4, 2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that turbo is junk. either go with a stock framed turbo or save for a good t3 turbo. turbonetics and precision both make garbage. the precision ball bearing turbo's are decent, but the journal bearing turbo's are beyond worthless.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 08:15 AM

oh by the way, with the mods that I enlisted, I bought the car (evo6 gsr) with it..just want to developed it... Thanks....
Old Mar 4, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrbooster
oh by the way, with the mods that I enlisted, I bought the car (evo6 gsr) with it..just want to developed it... Thanks....
get an e8 ecu and flash, no need for emb
Old Mar 4, 2010, 09:43 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Do a BBK/FP HTA Green/Red you'll spend way less money and make 450hp @ crank easy with a good tune. +1 on doing an E8 ecu.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by [I.R.A.]_FBi
get an e8 ecu and flash, no need for emb
yes, i've been studying the pin-outs...I still have to get the evo scan though????...
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
that turbo is junk. either go with a stock framed turbo or save for a good t3 turbo. turbonetics and precision both make garbage. the precision ball bearing turbo's are decent, but the journal bearing turbo's are beyond worthless.
its all genuine garrett, only the turbine housing is made-off turbonetics...I agree with you though, anyway I'm on a tight budget upgrading my e6..
Old Mar 4, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrbooster
yes, i've been studying the pin-outs...I still have to get the evo scan though????...
Wreckleford is the man to talk to in that regard. He's worked on more than one VI.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by [I.R.A.]_FBi
Wreckleford is the man to talk to in that regard. He's worked on more than one VI.
Thanks man...

As of now what do you know about his setup???? just a glimmer outcome?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Have a read here
Old Mar 4, 2010, 05:38 PM

nice....Im excited to try it out now so I could sell the emb asap...
Old Mar 5, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
60-1 is some very old technology. With high tip height and low angle its make a decent turbo for lower boost applications,like what it was originally designed for,tractors). Whoever said precision is junk is wrong IMO, my buddy has a sc61 journal bearing and he accidently used the restrictor for ball bearing turbos. The bearings got destroyed and precision explained what he did wrong and rebuilt his turbo for free, sometimes it means more to have someone to call if things go sideways then if someone says this turbo is the best since sliced bread.

Turbonetics on the other hand I have not heard good things about, ball bearing anyway. A few people have said their journal bearing stuff is still nice but I still wouldn't run it.

I am not sure why but i think if Vin diesel bought a turbo he'd get a turbonetics lol
Old Mar 5, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 20gmr
60-1 is some very old technology. With high tip height and low angle its make a decent turbo for lower boost applications,like what it was originally designed for,tractors). Whoever said precision is junk is wrong IMO, my buddy has a sc61 journal bearing and he accidently used the restrictor for ball bearing turbos. The bearings got destroyed and precision explained what he did wrong and rebuilt his turbo for free, sometimes it means more to have someone to call if things go sideways then if someone says this turbo is the best since sliced bread.

Turbonetics on the other hand I have not heard good things about, ball bearing anyway. A few people have said their journal bearing stuff is still nice but I still wouldn't run it.

I am not sure why but i think if Vin diesel bought a turbo he'd get a turbonetics lol
2 precision turbo's blew on me in a row. both bad under 2,000 miles on them. replaced them with a garrett and put over 10,000miles on it before the car got totalled. made a ton more power, was reliable and spooled a lot faster. precision can eat my ***.

Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

decided on a turbo yet?

Quick Reply: Stock to t3 60-1 @ 450 crank?