Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Proper way to replace a rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper way to replace a rear main seal

Never had to replace one before on my Evo, is there any thing special I need to do, such as a special silicone or way to replace the seal? Tranny, clutch, and flywheel are already off of my vehicle. How do I go about to do so, I don't want to have it leaking again
Old Mar 24, 2010, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing you need to worry about is not scrathing the surfaces when you pull out the old seal. You dont need anything special to do it. You could put some oil or wd40 so the new seal will slide in easier. gl.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Do I just pull the thing out with a flat head and replace or do I need to remove anything for proper replacement? I do not have a seal/gasket puller.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SavEVOIX
Do I just pull the thing out with a flat head and replace or do I need to remove anything for proper replacement? I do not have a seal/gasket puller.
I dont think its neccessary that you actually remove the plate that holds the rear main seal, just pull it out and replace it. I would throw some white grease around the new seal to make the install easier. I just did this to my motor, and I ended up using the rubber handle of a pair of pliers and a rubber mallet to get it in all the way. Its pretty straight forward.

Good Luck. If you can remove the tranny, replacing this gasket should be cake!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
don't put grease on the outside part of an oil seal- the metal portion is typically coated on the OD with a sealant so it seals to the metal it presses into. You can use a little oil on the rubber portion of the seal on the inside of it if you want - where it contacts the crank. Once you get the old one out, clean the bore then tap the new one in flush.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SavEVOIX
Just pull it out either with a flathead or some pliers but like i said, be careful not to scratch anything or you will end up with leaks.