Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Whats wrong here, I'm stumped, axle and/or suspension problems.

Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats wrong here, I'm stumped, axle and/or suspension problems.

I've searched up and down the most popular threads for clunking. None seem to describe the problem I'm having.

Specs:
Lowered on springs
Stock suspension otherwise
53k miles
never launched (at least not fully launched in its lifetime, a couple of slip clutch style launches but never full on drop the clutch at high rpm type of launches)
ACT clutch
Transfer case was replaced at 18k by the dealership (so its essentially at around 35k)

The problem:
Clunk/grinding noise even more so a multiple crackling/metal on metal type of noise coming from the front driver side.

When it started happening:
It was sort of a faint clunk every now and then right after I installed my springs (I figured that was just the spring turning every now and then. THEN I replaced my clutch, the noise got progressively worse since then.

What I've diagnosed/replaced:
Everytime your driving at lower speeds (sure now you guys are gonna tell me its a strut, I highly doubt it) and hit a small set of bumps I get a clunking sound, its worse when your going really slow and your making a hard left turn (I.E backing down my driveway turned left down a little hill type of driveway thing), at this point it almost like grinds and makes sort of a stuttering clunk (a few repetitive fast clunks).

There is play in the driver side axle, from side to side, the axle bolt is completely tight. The play probably measures within 1mm of play, its just enough for you to notice that its there, but its not like you can physically move it side to side and watch it go in and out of the hub. I figured this was a bad axle so I replaced it. It was replaced and that solved the noise for like a week. I got on it once (not launch just a rolling start in first gear around a turn going left) and it clunked really loud and from then on, I got the same symptoms as before. I took the axle out again, (it was under warranty), replaced it and still get the same sound with the same amount of play in the axle and everything. I cant figure it out for the life of me.

At the same time, at higher speeds I can faintly hear an intermittent vibration/humming noise (I can more feel this than hear it because I have a really loud exhaust), its a long ON and OFF type of noise, so its not like it happens everytime the wheel rotates, its almost like the vibration lasts for 2 seconds then goes away, then comes back on and goes away, and only happens at highway speeds.

I'm thinking it could be a wheel bearing but everytime I've ever experienced a bad wheel bearing the noise was always there not intermittent like that.

Please give me any input as to what I should look for or do, I'm really stumped when it comes to this, and I would say I'm a pretty good self mechanic (have rebuilt cars from bottom up in the past) never have I once run into a problem like this. Thanks for any input.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:35 PM

Forgot to mention, it drives fine otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary, no t-case whine, no sloppy shifting, no grinded gears when shifting, nothing different than usual besides this one issue.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:41 PM

wait one more thing, the wheels shake at higher speeds, almost feel like they are unbalanced but the wheel weights and the wheels are balanced out perfectly fine.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Check for clearance on your downpipe and the lower support bars
Old Mar 28, 2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Check for clearance on your downpipe and the lower support bars

I'm guessing your answering the question I had about the humming/vibrations, I'll look into that. Could just be the sound resonance making the dp come into contact with the support bars is that what your saying?

As for the axle/ clunking problem that I really need some input on.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I may have encountered the same problem. You may have pahesd the strut top wrong when you put the springs on, when you turn it hard the inside of the strut rubs the shock tower. Look into that.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same vibration sounds on my evo, Long dragging vibration On then Off, strangely it does speed up as I increase speed, but its in no way related to tires or spindles, its not consistant with wheel spin, zzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzz, where wheel spin will be much shorter and faster. I feel thats is drive train related, either tranny, transfer case or rear end. and to add a new sound after I changed my struts, ever now and then when I turn I hear a boinnnggg spring sound. could not figure it out.

Last edited by MyEvo8Urs; Mar 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by MyEvo8Urs
I have the same vibration sounds on my evo, Long dragging vibration On then Off, strangely it does speed up as I increase speed, but its in no way related to tires or spindles, its not consistant with wheel spin, zzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzz, zzzzzzzzzz, where wheel spin will be much shorter and faster. I feel thats is drive train related, either tranny, transfer case or rear end. and to add a new sound after I changed my struts, ever now and then when I turn I hear a boinnnggg spring sound. could not figure it out.
thats the sound I have exaclty the long dragging vibration just like you described. I have no clue what it is, I never really noticed if mine speeds up or not, buts it totally noticiable unless you listen for it.

I really don't think its the tranny or T-case, I just got a new T-case recently, maybe the rear diff I don't know? I've had a bad t-case before and it sounded nothing like this. I cant justify saying its the transmission as all my gears seem to go in and out fine and no problems there what-so-ever.

Last edited by Enjoi926; Mar 29, 2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 20gmr
I think I may have encountered the same problem. You may have pahesd the strut top wrong when you put the springs on, when you turn it hard the inside of the strut rubs the shock tower. Look into that.

So how exactly do I go about fixing that? Take the strut out and do what with it?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Its not the Struts, I just changed mine, and it happens when I go straigt, I dont have to turn.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a metal on metal clunking in the front of my car I'm trying to get sorted now. Its more of a straightline thing with my car(going and stopping, fore and aft). Def not swaybar bushings, as no noise when going side-to-side with the wheel. I'm going to get a WL Roll Center and a Perrin PSRS kit to replace some bushings hoping that cures it. If not the struts are gonna have to come out. Good Luck with figuring your out.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Today, on a stock KYB suspension, I had the front passenger side strut off looking for a noise. I have a moan-groan at slow speed plus the front has always clunked. I loaned out my spring tool so couldn't remove the spring. You can see where the first and second spring coils hit or rub together, the paint is worn off. Other than that, I didn't find anything. During the winter the strut on that side felt extra stiff. This would indicate something broken inside.

My car also has the shutter at about 60 mph. I'm thinking this is due to air moving over the car.

I don't think there should be any play at your hub. Maybe you need a wheel bearing.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

freakin evos..... noise, noise, noise...... You eliminate one sound and uncover 5 different ones. LOL I will just put a loud azz sound system and for get everything else..
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MyEvo8Urs
freakin evos..... noise, noise, noise...... You eliminate one sound and uncover 5 different ones. LOL I will just put a loud azz sound system and for get everything else..
dude i agree with you...whenever i drive my car without the radio i get pissed off so now i just blast the sweet stock speakers i have and forget about the noises haha
Old Mar 29, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Solution to all evo problems. Throw in a nice Audio System, and all your problems will go away. LOL

Last edited by MyEvo8Urs; Mar 29, 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats wrong here, I'm stumped, axle and/or suspension problems.